Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 09:24 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times

Advertisements

I would go with the Acura. We are looking for a used luxury SUV and Audi and Acura are two of the candidates we are considering. To me the Audi is way overpriced. I mean come on now, you pay $40,000 for a vehicle and do not even get front seat heaters? That is just ridiculous. Plus Audi's aren't as reliable and cost more to repair. They handle better and are faster but it not like you are driving them on a speedway or race track. Plus the Acura is less expensive. Sorry but to me practicality is more important than prestige. JMHO. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 09:30 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I don't know man, I agree with A02. Not saying all Audi's since 08 are perfect, but their reliability has gone way up since the 03 days. They weren't as well known in 03 and they always had issues. I own an Audi and have friends with A4's, some with over 150K miles and we've had no issues with ours besides regular maintenance.

But I gotta say, Honda/Acura has always been pretty reliable. Those engines can last for years. When it comes to reliability, those things are beasts. That's one edge I will give any Honda/Nissan/Toyota over any other car brand.

The difference is that Audi and some of the German automakers seem to get a pass on reliability and don't seem to be held to the same standards as other manufacturers. If their quality has improved from 50% reliability to 70%, yes technically that is an improvement. However, if other vehicles of the same year range have a 95% reliability rate, there is still an issue. They are rarely held to the same reliability expectation as say a Toyota, Honda, etc..... who routinely have 85-95% reliability ratings simply because they are considered a luxury brand.

Once they have the same reliability as typical on some of the other vehicles I mentioned I'll be impressed. For the cost of those vehicles reliability and quality should be above average.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:27 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Audi reliability isn't just improved from their bad years. They are now ranked #3 overall only behind Toyota/Lexus. Acura is #18 well below industry average.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:35 AM

902 posts, read 1,104,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuralNet88 View Post
So I just got a job getting paid pretty good money, and am trying to decide on which car to eventually get between the Acura TLX and the Audi A4(newer models). Any thoughts or suggestions?

I have turned down the idea of getting a BMW 3 or Mercedes C class because of the horror stories I've heard from some people who have owned them.

Basically I would be driving to and from work, around town and to other cities sometimes that are about 1 to 2 hours away. I may also take it when I travel to other parts of the country.
If you have turned down BMW and Benz based on maintenance and/or reliability horror stories then you probably want to take Audi off the table too.......... their maintenance and reliability issues are legendary

Acura on the other hand is just as reliable and low maintenance as any other Japanese car

the Audi might have a slight performance edge but for your stated purpose the Acura will do nicely

Old 11-23-2016, 10:39 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
For 2017, consumer reports has Audi dropping a spot to #4.

Lexus
Toyota
Buick
Audi
Kia
Mazda
Hyundai
Infiniti
BMW
Honda
Subaru
Acura
Nissan
Mini

When you look at the most and least reliable, Audi and BMW are nowhere on the list. Mercedes makes it with their SUV, but that's it.

The Most and Least Reliable Cars by Class - Consumer Reports

Old 11-23-2016, 12:34 PM
A02

74 posts, read 103,051 times
I think it's important to note that one of the vehicles the OP was considering is the least reliable vehicle in it's class. It's probably not the one most people think it is.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:40 PM

902 posts, read 1,104,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
For 2017, consumer reports has Audi dropping a spot to #4.

Lexus
Toyota
Buick
Audi
Kia
Mazda
Hyundai
Infiniti
BMW
Honda
Subaru
Acura
Nissan
Mini

When you look at the most and least reliable, Audi and BMW are nowhere on the list. Mercedes makes it with their SUV, but that's it.

The Most and Least Reliable Cars by Class - Consumer Reports
so Honda and Subaru are less reliable than Buick and BMW?

I am beyond skeptical

Old 11-23-2016, 02:16 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Some people say that an Audi is just a fancy VW LOL
They would be wrong. Very wrong.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:46 PM
A02

74 posts, read 103,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
so Honda and Subaru are less reliable than Buick and BMW?

I am beyond skeptical
Honda has had a lot of issues lately. Not just with CVT, but electronics and build quality. One model had transmission issues. The Fit's were so bad in the 2014/15 years they had to do a rapid transition to build them in Japan instead of Mexico for the 2016 model year.

I think it's simply a situation where they got a little complacent. Let's be real. I can lease an Accord with zero down for only $160/170 a month. That's nuts. There is a reason they can push their flagship sedan so cheap...

Old 11-23-2016, 06:40 PM

802 posts, read 1,366,974 times
only get Audi or other german cars with warranty.
unless you like spending thousands on repairs and problems which are very common even more common on never ones.

out of audi bmw and benz most reliable is the benz. and easiest to diagnose.
id say bmw is the worst quality and reliability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive