Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 08:56 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,102 times

Advertisements

Sorry, Jeep is the most "American" name out there. It was the face of America during WWII, and the design worked well as both a tidy city car and a back woods conqueror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 07:36 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,256,544 times
Have you heard anyone say mom, apple pie and Tesla?

I rest my case.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:39 PM

Oh, here are some other reasons:

It's made in California.
It's made by "Elon"
It's called a Tesla
and it doesn't come with a V8.

'nuff said.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:16 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
Aren't electric cars a commie plot to take our oil & gas jobs?

Old 11-28-2016, 07:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Until recently, it was an impractical novelty for the uber rich, not an everyman's car. Now there is a more affordable version, however after paying a $2000 deposit, my SIL has been waiting for nearly two years for the opportunity to buy one.

American to me means common - something that most American families experience. Something that represents a thing of the people.

Tesla could get there one day. It might be as American as Ford or Chevy in 15 years. Today? No. Today it is still a novelty that is mostly for the uber rich.

It may have difficulty reaching the "American-ness" of a brand like Ford or Chevy. It was not developed in the American dream way, though hard work and hard knocks. It was financed by the government. It was developed as a toy for the uber rich initially. It has a very different back story, and is missing the start from scratch, work slowly to success American dream element. Maybe it will eventually get there and re-characterize the stereotypical American success story.

In all likelihood, other makers will catch up on the electric cars or something better will replace them altogether, or Tesla will get bought out. They will end up neat collectibles and get a footnote in automotive history like Packard, or Delorean or maybe even Tucker.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
In all likelihood, other makers will catch up on the electric cars or something better will replace them altogether, or Tesla will get bought out. They will end up neat collectibles and get a footnote in automotive history like Packard, or Delorean or maybe even Tucker.
Electric cars had their best chance when gas was approaching $5, but they didn't go anywhere, no pun intended. It's going to be all downhill from here unless government props them up.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:34 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,995,776 times
Calling for people to buy a brand of car for patriotic reasons died decades ago. If people bought their vehicles just to show their patriotism through a domestic badge, the Japanese automakers would not have survived here, much less thrived.

Cars have to meet the needs, wants, and expectations of buyers. Build a better car, at a competitive price, and they will sell.

Tesla has had some success as a boutique, niche market automaker and has generated a lot of buzz. If they want to play with the big boys, however, they still have a LOT to prove. The Model 3 will be very telling as to whether they are ready for a step to mainstream or not.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:42 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,098 times
I have 3 friends with Teslas and all of them love the cars and they have NOT been in the shop for repairs (one of the nice things is that if there's a software problem, or an update that fixes a software problem in one of the cars, Tesla can remotely update every car out there, or remotely fix the one that's affected. Only one of my friends' cars needed a software update to fix a glitch, and that was done almost instantly without affecting driveability of the car and without the need to go to a dealer service bay).

Absolutely amazing cars, and yeah, I do root for a home grown American company to succeed. And yes, I do believe we should support home grown companies more, and support smaller companies over bigger ones.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Calling for people to buy a brand of car for patriotic reasons died decades ago. If people bought their vehicles just to show their patriotism through a domestic badge, the Japanese automakers would not have survived here, much less thrived.
The converse may be true. Without "patriotism," the US automakers may not have survived the dark years. Have you ever tried to find a Honda Dealership in Michigan? (Sure there are some, but even in the metro area you may have to drive 40 miles to get to one as opposed to 1-5 miles or so to Ford, GM or FCA). I am not sure whether patriotism is the correct term, more knowingwhereyourbreadisbutteredism

Old 11-28-2016, 01:40 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,643,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The converse may be true. Without "patriotism," the US automakers may not have survived the dark years. Have you ever tried to find a Honda Dealership in Michigan? (Sure there are some, but even in the metro area you may have to drive 40 miles to get to one as opposed to 1-5 miles or so to Ford, GM or FCA). I am not sure whether patriotism is the correct term, more knowingwhereyourbreadisbutteredism
Buying cars and trucks solely for patriotism is not completely dead yet, especially for pickup trucks buyers. I have heard many times, I buy only american. I know families who for generations drives nothing but fords or Chevy, and you can't sell them on anything else. This is perhaps different in various parts of the country though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive