Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 06:58 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,540,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
My Ram 2500 has a front bench seat..... I despise it. My wife's 2014 Expedition has the center console and I love it. For me it gives me more storage and cupholders that don't shake as much (Ram cupholders flip down from the dash). The seats in the Expedition are also much more supportive than my bench seat. I'm looking to upgrade my interior now with the interior from a Laramie in a junkyard to get the center console and get rid of my bench seat.
I would think that everyone who was not size challenged (like myself) would love the console concept because of the efficiency of storage. For me, I would be willing to put the "crap" elsewhere if it left more movement for my right leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 07:15 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,662,130 times
Yea that's a good point. I'm 5'11" so it isn't much of an issue for me. My dad is 6'4" and he does get annoyed with the center console in his GMC 2500.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:50 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,540,164 times
Just returned from a vehicle sitting-in trip at Carmax. The only vehicles with no center consoles were some of the pickup trucks - those were comfortable. I liked the fold down center seat back setup in the F150 the most.

There were some other vehicles which had consoles, but the console was low enough so my right knee could comfortably invade the console space to gain some extra room. The following models were very good in that respect: Buick Enclave/Encore and Chevy Traverse were the best, Nissan Pathfinder/Toyota 4runner were good, Cadillac SRX, Audi Q5 and BMW X5 werent bad.

Everything else I sat in was terrible: Mercedes GL450, Audi Q7, Lexus RX350, Ford Edge, Ford Explorer, Hyundai Santa Fe, Toyota Rav 4, Honda CRX, Mazda CX9, Chevy Equinox, GMC Terrain, Land Rover Range Rover and LR4. I tried a Ford Fusion, but it was way too tight and getting out was a royal pain because its too short.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:06 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,462,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theedgeoflight View Post
The current generation Taurus and Maxima come to mind
The Taurus is actually a decent car if it didn't "feel" so cramped. The design of the center console and the way the dash curves outward (toward the driver and passenger) where they meet is awful. The car isn't especially uncomfortable (I'm 6'2" and 245#), but the design gives the visual effect that the front seats are cramped. Considering that the less expensive Fusion has more interior room, it's not surprising that 2017 is the last year for the Taurus.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:18 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,197,967 times
I agree completely on the Taurus. I test drove one and found that the trunk is huge, but the back seat is cramped. The console cramps the front seats and there is a ridge on the upper edge of the console that cut into my right leg. Also, there was a lip in the floor that sticks out when the seat is all the way back. When I pulled my right leg back, my foot collided with the lip. Seemed like a nice car but too uncomfortable for a tall person with long legs. Possibly, the trunk could have been reduced some for more cab space. The console could be reduced or eliminated.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:05 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,006,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I agree completely on the Taurus. I test drove one and found that the trunk is huge, but the back seat is cramped. The console cramps the front seats and there is a ridge on the upper edge of the console that cut into my right leg. Also, there was a lip in the floor that sticks out when the seat is all the way back. When I pulled my right leg back, my foot collided with the lip. Seemed like a nice car but too uncomfortable for a tall person with long legs. Possibly, the trunk could have been reduced some for more cab space. The console could be reduced or eliminated.
I noticed that too on a test drive a couple years ago. I think it would be a great car if the interior was a little roomier.

Old 11-25-2016, 03:37 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,462,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
Yeah, I'm not really sure what they were going for with that interior design. The Fusion is just the opposite, lots of legroom in front and back, open/airy interior design, lower window sills (so you don't feel like you're sitting in a bathtub). For 2017, they even replaced the conventional gear shift lever with a rotary dial to save space and improve access to the storage compartment(s) under the audio/HVAC controls.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:34 AM

24,396 posts, read 23,050,809 times
I'm looking at a Ford Crown Vic up for auction. I'd bid on it if the bids stay low just because it has that bench seat. Its not exactly a bench seat, the center console is gone but it has a column shifter which I prefer. But, our current car is only 2 years old and has been extremely reliable and is a good daily driver. I'd only get this car for a work car and to give our dog room. I have fond memories of driving a BIG highway cruiser as a first car. Bigger than the Crown Vic, but comparable.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:32 AM

384 posts, read 990,030 times
I dislike the center consoles so much that it will be a deal breaker on my next vehicle. They not only make one feel closed in but there is no where for a purse and they prevent easy moving around or across the seats. I am sorry to hear that nearly every new car will have one of these monstrosities.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:17 AM

9,500 posts, read 4,336,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I prefer it.

I drive a new Taurus with the huge center console. When I first sat in the car, I loved it. Everything right there next to me. One of the things I love about the car
I love the huge center console on my 2014 Taurus as well. I really appreciate the Taurus' big center console even more after driving the my CTS-V - its much small center console and subsequent limited storage is aggravating and doesn't yield a roomier driver's compartment.

Frankly, anyone who doesn't fit in most modern cars because of the center console is either abnormally wide (like 300lbs + wide) or is suffering from a perception issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive