Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 05:01 PM

88 posts, read 89,624 times

Advertisements

I am working on putting a new engine in my car since the old one overheated and died. I haven't been able to find one at any of the junkyards so my car has been sitting for 2 months. 3 weeks ago I put an ad on craigslist to sell some old tools I don't use anymore. Some guy came to buy them and when he was here we started talking about the project I was doing to replace the engine. He told me he could find one for me since he owns a shop and knows more people. In exchange I gave him some of the tools for free that he needed because he said he didn't have the money for them but really needed them. We then went over to his shop and I gave him $350 up front because he said that would be the cost of the engine and then he gave me a receipt with his name, signature, the amount of money I gave him, and what it was for.

1 week went by and he said he found one and would get it for me soon. Then he stopped responding to my texts when I asked him when he could bring it by. Then he responded and both days he said he would bring it he did not show up. The second day was yesterday and I tried calling him and he didn't answer.

Like he is a total piece of chit or is just an imbecile. His communication so far has been horrible. I'm panicking now because he basically disappeared on me and those tools were worth over $100. I have his name, number, the receipt, and I know where his shop is. So what would you guys do if you were me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 05:21 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,786,698 times
You gave him money and property up front with nothing in writing and all you have now is a receipt? Hopefully a small claims court judge will see it your way or else I doubt youll get the money back.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
You gave him money and property up front with nothing in writing and all you have now is a receipt? Hopefully a small claims court judge will see it your way or else I doubt youll get the money back.
The receipt states what the money was for. It says it was for the engine which he was going to pick up and deliver to me. He signed and dated the receipt.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:42 PM

Maybe I could text him and tell him I'd give him another $100 if he could deliver? I know i'm being a sucker because we had a deal but at least I'd get my engine then.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:32 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDroz View Post
Maybe I could text him and tell him I'd give him another $100 if he could deliver? I know i'm being a sucker because we had a deal but at least I'd get my engine then.

The only sure thing is you'd be another $100 poorer. Ever hear the expression 'Throwing good money after bad'?

Old 11-14-2016, 06:35 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,244,181 times
A shop owner who can't afford $100 worth of used tools? My guess is that he does things when he feels like it, not when he should be doing them. Stay friendly as long as you can but not too long.

As a last resort you can take him to small claims court to get a judgement for the $350, but be aware that collecting the money may be another step. The cost of small claims court is usually not much; I think the last time I sued someone it was like $35. Your county courthouse could give you the details.

Good luck!

Old 11-14-2016, 06:53 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
A shop owner who can't afford $100 worth of used tools? My guess is that he does things when he feels like it, not when he should be doing them. Stay friendly as long as you can but not too long.

As a last resort you can take him to small claims court to get a judgement for the $350, but be aware that collecting the money may be another step. The cost of small claims court is usually not much; I think the last time I sued someone it was like $35. Your county courthouse could give you the details.

Good luck!

This probably varies by state but years ago I had a plater lose some motorcycle parts on me and took the small claims route in NJ. Once there was a judgement against them there was another officer of the court whose title escapes me that was able to access the plater's bank account, extract the $$$, and pass it on to me.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:37 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,051,665 times
If this guy is a part timer or shade tree mechanic, he may just be working on his own time frame. For your sake, I hope that is the case. If possible, keep in touch and remain pleasant, letting him know you are waiting and expecting that engine as soon as he can get it.

Worst case scenario, make the claim and get a judgement against him. Inexpensive but if he wins the lottery you can get your money.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:14 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,856,324 times
He answers an add on craigslist and comes to buy some tools he needs but doesn't have the money? MmmmmKay!

Not to be a downer but I wouldn't be surprised if "his shop" was just a friends shop that he hangs out at and he not only got some tools for free but got another 350 as well for an engine that doesn't even exist!

Old 11-14-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
He answers an add on craigslist and comes to buy some tools he needs but doesn't have the money? MmmmmKay!

Not to be a downer but I wouldn't be surprised if "his shop" was just a friends shop that he hangs out at and he not only got some tools for free but got another 350 as well for an engine that doesn't even exist!
He bought some of the tools I had. I had some other ones that he expressed interest in but didnt have the money. He originally offered to get me the engine for free to help me out, but I felt like being generous so I was the one who offered to give him the tools for free for doing that for me. No good deed goes unpunished though. *** this ghey earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive