Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 10:42 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Modern cars are boring. The only car enthusiasts I know are excited about classic cars.
I know a number of guys who have both classic cars and modern muscle cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 10:53 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,669,820 times
Good question; simple answer: The death of manual transmissions ... For me, at least, that is what has put the nails in the coffin!

Old 11-25-2016, 12:10 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Good question; simple answer: The death of manual transmissions ... For me, at least, that is what has put the nails in the coffin!
I love and prefer a manual transmission in a small car with a small engine, like an old Brittish sports car or a Miata, but in a car with a big powerful v8, like a Camaro, Mustang, or Corvette, I'd rather have an automatic.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:12 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
American car companies have not made one affordable RWD car since the 70s. Show me a sub $20k RWD car? There are tons of $18k FWD compacts but not one RWD.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:25 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Today's sports cars are at what was once super car levels a few decades ago. At one time 0-60 in 7 seconds was considered fast and a quarter mile in 15 seconds was performance car level. Toyota Camry can do this today easily. We have sports cars doing 0-60 in under 4 seconds and quarter mile in 13 seconds. Super sports cars measure 0-60 in 2.5 seconds and quarter mile in under 12 seconds. These cars today pull a full g or more on the skidpad, something the best handling sports cars of a few decades ago could never do.
I agree. There are so many really good cars on the market today that even basic cars are pretty darn fast. How fast is fast enough? I think we reached that point. I am looking at an Audi S4 that will do the 1/4 in 13 flat and it is a basic sedan. On top of all this cars do all this speed and handling with comfort. Totally different back in the day when radio delete was an option for weight savings. lol Cars today are a million times better. You can thank government for mandating fuel economy which in turn got the engineers working on making an efficient motor that puts out a TON of horsepower and even more torque.

I haven't been to cars and coffee yet, but I have heard going things.

Old 11-25-2016, 03:51 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
American car companies have not made one affordable RWD car since the 70s. Show me a sub $20k RWD car? There are tons of $18k FWD compacts but not one RWD.
Nobody makes one.
I guess you'll have to wait for the Chinese.

Old 11-25-2016, 04:29 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleber65 View Post
Ask him/her modification questions, all you will get only the response "Oh nothing really, just love driving it". Ask him if he/she loves the hell out of racing games and he/she will say "sure pal, but all video games can be pretty fun". Ask him if he/she is interested in knowing the way a car works and he/she will just only say "I am interested in the engine, that's pretty much it". Just what happened to this booming community? Where have they gone? And no don't add street racing into this please. Do they even attend Motorsport events or car shows anymore? The average is not the same. The most hardcore today aren't even that enthusiastic, you will only see like 3 cars and some magazines. THAT is pretty much it. I am not even one myself(though I do appreciate the science videos behind this) I did have some car enthusiast friends myself, but **** just what happened to this community? There are not as many of these as there were ages. Are people too lazy to just even bother with car stuff anymore? What's going on with the community itself?
As soon as video games were mentioned I knew who we were dealing with here...millennials don't often care for activities like cars. Heck in some metro areas there's even a trend of shunning driving altogether.

I think it's a generational thing,previous generations had not much else to do other than to cruise or play with their cars. Aside from the ones now who just like to have exhaust modification,lift kits,or sound systems there doesn't seem to be much interest.

Old 11-25-2016, 04:37 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You can buy a new V6 Mustang for around $22K. I know it's not under $20K, but its close. 300hp, 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, and the 1/4 mile in 14.0 seconds at 102 mph. $22K was about $3,600 in 1970, which is about what a 1970 Boss 302 Mustang cost back then. Yet, the new V6 Mustang is quicker, faster, handles better, stops better, and is simply a far better vehicle all around.

We're living in the golden era of automotive performance. Instead of waxing nostalgically over a bunch of old relics, some folks need to get out of their rocking chairs and actually drive some of the newer performance cars.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:43 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Unless one owns a classic, you can't even work on your own car anymore. Heck, even the mechanics all need specialized tools. Plus everything's so freakin expensive today also.
This.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:04 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
No carberators, no fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive