Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 08:04 PM

15 posts, read 16,301 times

Advertisements

Ask him/her modification questions, all you will get only the response "Oh nothing really, just love driving it". Ask him if he/she loves the hell out of racing games and he/she will say "sure pal, but all video games can be pretty fun". Ask him if he/she is interested in knowing the way a car works and he/she will just only say "I am interested in the engine, that's pretty much it". Just what happened to this booming community? Where have they gone? And no don't add street racing into this please. Do they even attend Motorsport events or car shows anymore? The average is not the same. The most hardcore today aren't even that enthusiastic, you will only see like 3 cars and some magazines. THAT is pretty much it. I am not even one myself(though I do appreciate the science videos behind this) I did have some car enthusiast friends myself, but **** just what happened to this community? There are not as many of these as there were ages. Are people too lazy to just even bother with car stuff anymore? What's going on with the community itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 08:07 PM

Rip the average car enthusiast

Old 11-24-2016, 08:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
i can only tell you from my perspective. back in the old days i would find ways to build power and handling, but with limited money to work with, i couldnt do all that much. today i have health issues that prevent me from doing my own work, and top that off with a fixed income, and money is still tight.

if i had the money and the energy, i could build you just about anything from a mini bike, to a monster truck, and even a number of aircraft.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:24 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
It was easier to be enthusiastic about cars years ago when cars had more differences, had some styling to them, like the 1971 Barracuda, the Ford Torino or the 1977 Trans Am.

Today's cars are too bland and generic to create any excitement.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:25 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
It's as vibrant as ever. Cars and coffee is a regular thing all over the country. Facebook hosts thousands of car enthusiast groups for every combination of region/brand/model/type you can think of.

What is dying is forums and magazines. But the people just moved to social media instead.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
It was easier to be enthusiastic about cars years ago when cars had more differences, had some styling to them, like the 1971 Barracuda, the Ford Torino or the 1977 Trans Am.

Today's cars are too bland and generic to create any excitement.
I sort of do agree on this. Unless you go with a Tesla, a Subaru, Mercedes or whatnot. The basic brands today are just way TOO basic. Another thing is probably cost for modifications is getting more expensive I heard.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:12 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
Unless one owns a classic, you can't even work on your own car anymore. Heck, even the mechanics all need specialized tools. Plus everything's so freakin expensive today also.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Unless one owns a classic, you can't even work on your own car anymore. Heck, even the mechanics all need specialized tools. Plus everything's so freakin expensive today also.
I heard you now have 2x a chance of getting your car into a junkyard.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:35 PM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
At one time someone at home could remove their car's base engine and drop in a larger and more powerful engine. They could also bolt on anti-sway bars and even change out the rear leaf springs and front suspension at home. Doing this with today's cars would also mean reprogramming the ECU to match the new engine. Engine mounts may not even match thus requiring metal fabrication to get the new engine to fit the bay. You may even have to change out the transmission which is no small feat because of all the electronics connected. It's still relatively easy to change out suspension parts for a lower and sportier ride but you must be wary of cheap knockoffs that are made to lower standards and may damage your vehicle causing you to crash. Quality suspension parts are out there and cost less than some high end toys like drones and hover boards. But some of today's vehicles have electronic controls that adjust the suspension, either through a dial or a sensor that detects the road surface ahead. You don't want to go messing with these systems! Lastly today's vehicles offer a level of acceleration and handling that were considered sports car territory a few decades ago and that's with the appliance family sedans. Today's sports cars are at what was once super car levels a few decades ago. At one time 0-60 in 7 seconds was considered fast and a quarter mile in 15 seconds was performance car level. Toyota Camry can do this today easily. We have sports cars doing 0-60 in under 4 seconds and quarter mile in 13 seconds. Super sports cars measure 0-60 in 2.5 seconds and quarter mile in under 12 seconds. These cars today pull a full g or more on the skidpad, something the best handling sports cars of a few decades ago could never do.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:08 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Most car's now days look alike. Lots of vehicles, even from different manufactures look very similar. Nothing to be thrilled about. Electronics problems, hook it up to a machine to analyze it. There are a few exceptions, but they dont come cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive