Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 12:08 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times

Advertisements

You're surprised to learn that car fans are interested in the performance versions of the various cars?

Wanting to talk about a standard-trim Fiesta is like wanting to talk about a Kenmore washing machine. The reason why there are so few enthusiasts for either is there's little to be enthusiastic about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 12:33 PM

104 posts, read 150,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Well, you're talking about a Fiesta. It doesn't do styling, comfort, or luxury. It's a Fiesta. The Fiesta ST does fun to drive, reasonable good performance on a a shoestring budget.
Half of Europe disagrees. We love little cars and we do find them stylish.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:42 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
I have visited more than a few car forums. I am into trucks and find all levels of trucks are discussed and there seems to be little or no shaming on trim levels. Of course the higher trim levels and the better custom modifications seem to be more envied.

Even though I do not like a lot of that do also lust after some of the really nice high end models.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:46 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeryan View Post

You love your little cars because you HAVE to. You have to have small cars and small engines due to high fuel costs and taxation on displacement in many countries. So you look for luxury in a tiny package. We don't. Cheap fuel and open roads make for wanting to have more powerful cars. More road race and slalom race tracks than Europe has means more people wanting performance cars and cars that handle. That's what enthusiast will gravitate to here, as we aren't tax and fuel limited to boring econoboxes.

And the Fiesta (at least in hatch form) is a good looking econobox, but overall it's not a great looking car. Not like, say, a DB9. In the small car arena, I'd rather have a MINI. And I do. Just more fun to drive in more situations.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:56 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Yeah, you "love" little cars because narrow roads and high fuel taxes strongly favor them in Europe. But when your fellow Europeans expatriate to places with low fuel costs and wide-open roads like the US or Canada or Australia, do they head straight to the Mini dealer or go hunting for the closest Fiesta they can get their hands on? No, they buy crossovers and SUVs and mid-size sedans like the rest of us do.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:31 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
But when your fellow Europeans expatriate to places with low fuel costs and wide-open roads like the US or Canada or Australia, do they head straight to the Mini dealer or go hunting for the closest Fiesta they can get their hands on? No, they buy crossovers and SUVs and mid-size sedans like the rest of us do.
They buy Big American Car!
Not beep beep!!

Old 12-01-2016, 05:59 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
You love your little cars because you HAVE to. You have to have small cars and small engines due to high fuel costs and taxation on displacement in many countries. So you look for luxury in a tiny package.
While that's part of it, a bigger part is that a goldfish cannot outgrow its bowl, and the typical large European city has its street layout from the days of the cart horse, not the combustion engine. Narrow roads and really scarce parking options are the prime drivers for demand in small cars in the cities. We walked the affluent St. John's Wood neighborhood of London from the Abbey Road studios to the London zoo, and I'd say about 85% of the cars in driveways, from the aforementioned Fiesta to the six figure supercars, were small or compact. There were a handful of Rovers (of the safari in Tanzania type, not the aspirational stuff usually seen here) that I assume belonged to people who had places in the country.
To drive a Tahoe in the central business districts of London or Paris or Rome would probably leave you hating life right quick.

You start to see bigger cars in the post-war European exburbs where roads are wider, free parking is more ample, and if you do need to get into the CBD, the Park & Ride mass transit stop sizes their spaces to fit the European suburban-ubiquitous Passat station wagon.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:38 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,012 times
Quote:
Well, Europeans buy it, because it is cheap and cheap to operate. Operating cars in Europe is expensive. Doesn't mean that people find it good, luxurious or stylish, it is just an affordable way to get from A to B.

I would prefer a US pickup at any time, but the fuelburn of a Dodge Ram with a 5,7 Hemi would literally eat me up with $6-7 a gallon in Europe.

But anyways for the German Autobahn neither of those is a good pick. I'd rather go for a Audi A6 3.0 Diesel that easily makes 250 km/h.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Well, Europeans buy it, because it is cheap and cheap to operate. Operating cars in Europe is expensive. Doesn't mean that people find it good, luxurious or stylish, it is just an affordable way to get from A to B.

I would prefer a US pickup at any time, but the fuelburn of a Dodge Ram with a 5,7 Hemi would literally eat me up with $6-7 a gallon in Europe.

But anyways for the German Autobahn neither of those is a good pick. I'd rather go for a Audi A6 3.0 Diesel that easily makes 250 km/h.
Yesterday I filled up my Challenger at $2.16/gallon, and I drive it every day (unless it snows). At European gas prices, it would be sitting except for a few days a week, but I'd still keep it. Some of us like the fun of driving, it's not just transportation, but can also be recreation.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:33 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yesterday I filled up my Challenger at $2.16/gallon, and I drive it every day (unless it snows). At European gas prices, it would be sitting except for a few days a week, but I'd still keep it. Some of us like the fun of driving, it's not just transportation, but can also be recreation.
Yeah, I would also keep it as a fun car. But in that case I would get a fuel efficient diesel or public transport ticket for daily transportation. Fortunately, my current office is in walking distance from my home, so I do not need any car for that. At the moment, diesel is around 1.10 per liter and regular 1.30 per Liter.

I am actually looking for a 1965-1972 muscle car with a V8 but that is just for the weekends and it will get tax discount (for German car tax) if it is in original condition and more than 25yo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive