Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 03:50 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times

Advertisements

Consider a mechanics time/rate, could it not be more expensive to rebuild a brake caliper than to replace with new?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 03:57 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
You realize those seals are 100% independent from the caliper assembly and can be replaced on their own, right? You're replacing an entire assembly because you can't be bothered to change $5 in seals? Really? Man, since you have a money tree in your yard, can I come over a shake it a little?
If it were DIY you would have a valid point. But when you take it to a shop the labor charge to disassemble a caliper and replace the seal is probably pretty close to the price of the caliper. And if the problem is a worn caliper piston or cylinder then new seals won't help a thing.

To answer the OP's question, no, a dry master cylinder doesn't mandate new calipers. But that doesn't mean that the OP's 15-year-old 100,000 mile car didn't need calipers anyway.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:25 PM

776 posts, read 580,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheffie View Post
Had a 2002 Pontiac Bonne with 100,000 miles and brake reservoir went dry. Within 8 hours of noticing the leak, was towed to mechanic (AAA certified) Was told by mechanic that since the lines went dry they would have to bleed all the lines and replace the front calipers, which cost me $170 labor to replace front calipers/bleed and another $200 for new rear brake line. Total $525. I am wanting to know if a dry reservoir mandates a new set of calipers. The tow truck driver also said that my brake line was low (mechanic said rusted) and that he couldn't put the chain hook where he normally does. I am skeptical of that as well.
Allen
...Did they install new brake pads with the new calipers? If the calipers were worn or damaged they should of installed new brake pads. If the calipers were leaking, than some of the brake fluid most likely got on the brake pads. In which case, they should have been replaced.
...Brake shops could get fined if they work on a brake system and it malfunctions later on due to incompetent repair. Therefore, many of the honest one are pushy and the dishonest ones have it made. I didn't know if you knew of these regulations.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:23 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,703 times
Quote:
You realize those seals are 100% independent from the caliper assembly and can be replaced on their own, right? You're replacing an entire assembly because you can't be bothered to change $5 in seals? Really? Man, since you have a money tree in your yard, can I come over a shake it a little?

My time is worth something and sometimes the pistons are pitted, so you can not simply pop a new seal in. When it comes to cars (especially brakes) I am not a cheapskate.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Agreed, unless the calipers were damaged somehow, this is like replacing your tires because you don't want to use new air. If the calipers were leaking because they were damaged, stopping would have been horrible, and they would have been squealing louder than your stereo. Sounds completely like a sham fix, when all it probably had was a single leak in a hose. ONLY A GUESS, but I would bet it should have cost about 1/10th- 1/5th of that for a new line and fluid.

A lot of experts here who never saw the car to properly offer a diagnosis. Garages can not take chances when it comes to safety items because of our sue happy society. If I did this for a living (I only build muscle cars for myself) I would not shortcut the repair because of the liability and time involved. Maybe some of you will take the time to repair parts like this in your driveway, but that isn't always practical.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:33 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Consider a mechanics time/rate, could it not be more expensive to rebuild a brake caliper than to replace with new?
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
If it were DIY you would have a valid point. But when you take it to a shop the labor charge to disassemble a caliper and replace the seal is probably pretty close to the price of the caliper. And if the problem is a worn caliper piston or cylinder then new seals won't help a thing.

To answer the OP's question, no, a dry master cylinder doesn't mandate new calipers. But that doesn't mean that the OP's 15-year-old 100,000 mile car didn't need calipers anyway.
No. Now, I have only diy it once. I am assuming all calipers are basically the same design, but it literally is just pop it out and take it off and replace. The only think I can come up with off the top of my head to compare it to, would be to take a bottle of soda out of the fridge and swap out the caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
My time is worth something and sometimes the pistons are pitted, so you can not simply pop a new seal in. When it comes to cars (especially brakes) I am not a cheapskate.
This then definitely. It may just be a precaution, and like all brake components you replace them in pairs.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:21 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
No. Now, I have only diy it once. I am assuming all calipers are basically the same design, but it literally is just pop it out and take it off and replace. The only think I can come up with off the top of my head to compare it to, would be to take a bottle of soda out of the fridge and swap out the caps.
Not even close. You got lucky the ONE TIME you did it. Most of the time the piston doesn't come out easily. Often removing the seal completely requires a considerable amount of time with a dentist's pick. To do it RIGHT you need to hone the cylinder to reestablish a crosshatch pattern for proper sealing before reassembly. And a goodly amount of the time after you go to the trouble of taking the thing apart you find that the cylinder is pitted or cracked and can't be used anyway.

And on top of all that, by rebuilding the caliper the shop is taking on the full liability in the event that the repair fails. By installing a new or reman caliper most of that liability is passed back to the supplier.

Bottle of pop. Funny.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:49 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:

I looked up the price of 2002 Pontiac Bonneville Reman calipers. You can get powerstop powdercoated remans for $25 each.

My time is more valuable to me these days. I've rebuilt calipers, but for $25 I'd rather just slap those on and bleed them and call it a day.

And to answer the OP's question, brake fluid doesn't evaporate. So if the cylinder is dry, then you probably have a leak somewhere, and it's usually at the calipers. So I could see them replacing them. Of course without seeing the car, that's all I can say.

As for rusted brake lines...common in rust belt cars or cars parked on grass often. The lines rust and corrode and will begin to leak or simply rupture one day.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:53 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:

Not all. Rear calipers with integrated e-brake use a rachet mechanism to push the piston out when the e-brake lever is pulled. These can be a total PITA to rebuild, plus the ones I'm familiar with are cast iron and rust like hell internally. Not worth rebuilding yourself.

But same applies to regular calipers I've rebuilt as well. If I crack the brake hose and see rusty brake fluid oozing out, I don't even bother. Reman calipers for a lot of makes are dirt cheap. $25-35 or so off rockauto.com or local parts stores.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:36 AM

You guys have hit it exactly........there is more to a PROPER rebuild of anything than just popping out a seal and putting in a new one. I won't take my time to disassemble, clean, inspect, hone, and then rebuild a wheel cylinder or caliper, when I can buy a new one so cheap. Your quickie job may fix it temporarily, but probably not long term.

Leave brakes to people who know what they are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive