Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Set Would You Pick?
268 Piece - more pieces, plastic case, better tool retainers 2 20.00%
200 Piece - fewer pieces, metal ball bearing case, open top with tray for extra tools 8 80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 07:33 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,462,864 times

Advertisements

So HD has some really good deals right now for tool sets and I'm a little torn. I have a Craftsman set that is smaller and I have had since college. It is pretty bare bones and is now missing some sockets and the case is a simple plastic fold over design that does not hold the tools well. I've also collected additional sockets and pieces that would do well in the same case if the option exists. I came across these two options from Husky, one is a 268 piece set in a big plastic box with drawers and what appear to be sturdy spaces to hold everything. The other is a 200 piece metal box with ball bearings, seemingly lighter plastic trays for holding and a open top with tray for storing additional gear (which I have).

I'm not sure if the 268 piece set is all that necessary considering I have a bunch of other pieces bought during my tenure as an at-home mechanic, but it does sound nice. Both come with 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive ratchets and sockets, I currently have two broken 3/8, a working 1/4 and no 1/2 other than a torque wrench. So what are your opinions, photos below with a poll. Keep in mind I'm a DIY mechanic so something like a Snap On or Mac alternative would not really fit my budget or style.

Husky 268 piece set $149

Husky 200 piece set $99

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 09:06 AM

11,550 posts, read 52,923,541 times
if you're just a casual DIY'er wanting some ratchets and sockets ... then take the set that more closely meets your needs.

If there's a bunch of stuff in the one box to make the tool count bigger, ask yourself if all that extra stuff is something you'll need to have around.

At this price point, it's not a big deal. Whatever works for your projects will be fine.

I'll put the pricing in perspective: ONE 3/8" Flex Head Snap-On ratchet is $150 these days. Just the ratchet! I know the price because I recently turned one of my old worn out ones into my dealer and got a new warranty replacement with the ticket showing the current retail price of the item.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:21 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,681,770 times
Those all in one type tool sets can actually be pretty good for the average home shop mechanic. You can also add additional tools to fit your own purposes. We have two very complete hobby shops with pretty much every tool you can buy, from various manufacturers. Last Christmas my ex wife gave my one son one of those Craftsman sets, like you pictured, and he didn't want to hurt her feelings, so he kept it. But, he put it into his pickup and has ended up using it a lot of times and had to admit it comes in handy at times.

Speaking of Craftsman, their tools today are NOT what they once were.....they suck. Cheap chrome plating that chips quickly, and they give you a refurbished hand tool, instead of a new one, when you break one. I rarely go into Sears these days for any reason.

I also buy some tools from Harbor Freight. Some things they have are crap, but some are actually ok. You have to pick and choose, and the prices are super low. I have one of their 2 foot breaker bars that I have abused many times, and it works as well as the Snap On one I also own. I buy their spray guns for painting things like suspension pieces and frames, and they work really well for about $10-$20 each. Wouldn't do a high dollar paint job with one, but not all that bad either.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:45 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,509,795 times
I'd go with the first set, as it also has wrenches.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:16 AM

18,775 posts, read 27,211,361 times
METAL.
METAL.
METAL.

Cases are not warranty covered. I've been through this with Craftsman. Plastic case "hinge" lasted about 6 months and broke off. I still use bottom parts as trays, but that's trays. metal is metal.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:17 AM

18,775 posts, read 27,211,361 times
Oh, and take honest picture of your purchase after about a year. I want to see how it will be "organized" then.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:40 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,592,766 times
Metal. I don't like how plastic collects moisture.

If I were to put together a simple set, I would do a metric 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive six point sockets. I'd do the same with SAE. Anymore I use metric more than SAE, even on my Ford and John Deere etc. I'd also do a set of wrenches both Metric and SAE. I'd round it out with a good set of screw drivers and some pliers.

Now, if I were dealing with rounded off heads or more difficult heads, I'd add a 12 point socket. Most of the time 6 point is simple enough. As it gets more technical, then add what you need. Extensions, swivels, flared, Torx and nut drivers.

The thing is a 200 piece or 238 piece set can be purchased cheaper than the individual sets. I would get some socket holders that snap the sockets in, or trays to hold them. I use both.

I want to find a set of sockets to carry in my pickup. If I am stuck roadside or I am in the field needing to do some quick fixing on whatever machinery I am using.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:06 PM

9,611 posts, read 21,144,919 times
I prefer sets of specific tools to big sets like these. The big sets tend to leave out the less popular sizes in order to include a wider variety of stuff.

That being said, between the two for the purpose of building a set of shop tools I'd go for the metal case just for the fact that it has extra space for the tools that don't come with it.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:18 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,364,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Oh, and take honest picture of your purchase after about a year. I want to see how it will be "organized" then.
That was my reaction. All those plastic storing/sorting boxes are lined up under the workbench and the sockets and ratchets are tossed into a big plastic tub while the wrenches are in a bucket.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:22 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,364,238 times
Get whichever one has at least two 1/2" sockets. Preferably 2 of the more common sizes form 1/4 to 3/4. the uncommon sizes mostly just get in the way. You will need a metric set too. the 13 mm can double as a 1/2" in a pinch if you do not have two 1/2" when you need them.

I would suggest you make up your own set. If you have kids who might ever borrow your tools, get five ratchets, nine 1/2" and nine 9/16" sockets, then you might be able to find one when you need one. Also get a powerful magnet and a metal detector so you can find them in the grass. Otherwise, I tend to buy tools when I need them and try to find better quality rather than buying a bunch of cheap tools in sets that include mostly things I will never ever use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive