Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2017, 08:08 AM

5,914 posts, read 6,397,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
I've done testing, and for me it's pretty much impossible to hear the difference between a CD, a FLAC file, and a 320k MP3 while driving at highway speeds in most cars (excluding 12 speaker luxury cars with a ton of sound insulation anyway). The difference between those and a 160k VBR MP3 is a little more pronounced but you still have to be really paying attention to hear it, and I mean paying attention enough to distract you from the road.

BTW I'm 42 years old, so you might want to think a bit about the "generation" thing
Understood if it's 320kbps MP3, FLAC, or CD. Probably not going to tell any difference in the car. But, anything below 192kbps MP3, yes, you're going to hear a difference. I don't know why people would want to encode at anything below 320?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 08:00 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,605,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Understood if it's 320kbps MP3, FLAC, or CD. Probably not going to tell any difference in the car. But, anything below 192kbps MP3, yes, you're going to hear a difference. I don't know why people would want to encode at anything below 320?
These days they wouldn't, and most stuff comes encoded at least at 192. But I remember back in the MP3 heyday the most popular bit rate was 120 CBR, because storage wasn't quite was it is today, and CD-R was still one of the most popular MP3 transport mediums (before Gig-plus USB sticks got below $20). Some people still have some of those leftover in their collection, if they never bothered to purge them.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:15 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,164,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
I've done testing, and for me it's pretty much impossible to hear the difference between a CD, a FLAC file, and a 320k MP3 while driving at highway speeds in most cars (excluding 12 speaker luxury cars with a ton of sound insulation anyway).
12 speakers is not that many.
I've been checking out the Revel system that's in the Lincoln MKZ.

https://www.lifewire.com/revels-car-...system-3134889

It does have a system called Clari-Fi to restore compressed files.
But I think in this car I'd want to play something that didn't need artificial restoration.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:56 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,846,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
12 speakers is not that many.
I've been checking out the Revel system that's in the Lincoln MKZ.

https://www.lifewire.com/revels-car-...system-3134889

It does have a system called Clari-Fi to restore compressed files.
But I think in this car I'd want to play something that didn't need artificial restoration.
It's a car, not a concert hall. There's a 70 dB drone in the background before the audio even begins.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
It's a car, not a concert hall. There's a 70 dB drone in the background before the audio even begins.
Maybe in the car you drive, but not a Lincoln. It's more like low 60's at highway speeds, less at lower speeds.
Here's a review from discerning listeners...
2016 Lincoln MKX and Revel Audio System Review - Infotainment Experts

Best in car audio offering for any car below $100K and some above that.
And it's WAY, WAY below $100K... within reach for people who still care about what comes out of their car's speakers.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:25 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,013,026 times
Quote:
Maybe in the car you drive, but not a Lincoln. It's more like low 60's at highway speeds, less at lower speeds.
Here's a review from discerning listeners...
2016 Lincoln MKX and Revel Audio System Review - Infotainment Experts

Best in car audio offering for any car below $100K and some above that.
And it's WAY, WAY below $100K... within reach for people who still care about what comes out of their car's speakers.
A well-recorded, well-mastered album will sound good in any car system, whether it has four speakers or forty.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
A well-recorded, well-mastered album will sound good in any car system, whether it has four speakers or forty.
Surely you're not implying that the system in a Versa is just as good as the Revel.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Surely you're not implying that the system in a Versa is just as good as the Revel.
Not at all. But both systems are equally worthless if the source is some dynamically squashed over-loudened pile of pudding like the music they put on CD or download today.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Not at all. But both systems are equally worthless if the source is some dynamically squashed over-loudened pile of pudding like the music they put on CD or download today.
Put a CD in an audiophile system and you'll get what was intended.
Doesn't mean it was intended to be good!

Old 07-02-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Put a CD in an audiophile system and you'll get what was intended.
Doesn't mean it was intended to be good!

That's kind of my point: The distortion-free, flat frequency response canvas that digital provides can be used for good or garbage. My main point is that one doesn't need to spend tens of $thousands on a home or automotive sound system to get great sound. It's lipstick on a pig when all that power, high end speakers, and designer cables are used to reproduce audio that has been casualty of the Loudness War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive