Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 06:08 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times

Advertisements

My 2012 & 2014 Kia Soul's did not have a CD player in them. My 2017 Kia Forte does; however now I don't own any CD's. Just downloaded my music onto my iPhone, hook up to Bluetooth in the car and I have all my music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 06:09 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
I just bought a new 2017 Camry and it has a CD player. Many still do. Granted, it's inevitable that they will eventually completely (or almost completely) go away, except as an option. Not many new cars will have them standard in the future (though I think the phase out will take a little longer than what many think).

Even as someone with full digital capabilities - in-car bluetooth, streaming radio and podcasts from my phone, lots of music downloaded on my MP3 player (but not Android Auto or Apple Carplay), I STILL like sometimes simply using CDs in the car (though I use all formats) - less fuss, at least IMO. Of course, I'm 44 and have a very large CD collection, which I always think I should use while I have it. On longer jaunts, I always bring my MP3 player and phone of course, and also a couple CDs, so I don't have to go through extensive playlists and fidget with gadgets if I don't want to (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't). But, I don't ever bring a big book of CDs anymore.
I'm a decade younger than you and also have a large CD collection. I still buy CD's, as I like listening to music in the house and my old but very good stereo system can't easily connect to digital files, and you do lose a small amount of quality compressing a CD to mp3s.

That said, when I bought my first car with a USB port 8 years ago I went out and bought a large capacity iPod. I painstakingly copied all of my cd's to my computer so I could put them on my iPod. I still do this every time i get a new album. The iPod never leaves my car, and I have my entire music library that consists of hundreds of albums with me everywhere I drive. I much prefer this to shuffling CD's around in the car. I don't find I need to fidget with anything as the voice controls work well. I simply say "Play album Exile On Main Street" and away we go.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:09 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
My 2016 KIA Optima has a CD player, but the 2016 KIA Soul that I test drove didn't have one. According to a car guru of my acquaintance, most of the non-CD cars are the ones that appeal to the young generation who are all into the mp3/USB-equipped cars.

CD or non-CD wouldn't matter to me since I'm okay with just a radio. I don't make long trips so I don't need entertainment on the road. That's not to say I never use the CD player - it's just not a priority with me.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:12 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Cadillac has also taken out the CD player.
In many of them you can still get a glove box changer.
But they may have even eliminated that in the newest ones.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:33 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I haven't listened to a CD in years. Current car has a single CD slot but I've never used it.

Mine has a great Bluetooth interface, so I pretty much stream Pandora or Spotify as I drive. I don't even listen to the radio anymore. All my old CD's were downloaded to an 80 GB Ipod that's also connected to the car and I can pull up any song I want off it via voice command.

My Previous 2000's cars has 6-disk changers, and I've noticed they've started to go back to single disk or even taking it out

Old 12-06-2016, 07:36 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times
My 2015 Nissan has one and My 2016 Honda does not.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:48 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
I actually just removed the cd player from my 2012 RAM and replaced it with one of the new shallow mount head units that only have Bluetooth and USB capabilities. I either BT my phone to the radio or plug in a thumb drive for my music. My cd cases are sitting in the garage about 2" thick in dust. Much easier to pull one of the 4-5 thumb drives from the console and plug it in for music.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:39 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,521,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Cadillac has also taken out the CD player.
In many of them you can still get a glove box changer.
But they may have even eliminated that in the newest ones.
This is what I found out with my ATS-V

But I did have the Glove box changer installed for when the Satellite
radio starts in on it's funk

Old 12-06-2016, 02:16 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
What's a CD? ;-)

But seriously, what is surprising is automakers reluctance to move to bluray drives for movie playback. Even if they downconvert it to a lower resolution, lots of people have piles of blurays laying around which cant be displayed in cars.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:56 PM

769 posts, read 782,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey27520 View Post
If now they would make it easier to understand how to hook up, play, switch between functions etc...the user manual is an inch thick on the entertainment functions in my little Ford Focus. I got my phone connected via bluetooth, but hell if I can understand how to play my music and books from my phone in my car. I would feel SO good if I could understand all of it. It's so frustrating!
I find this fascinating. My Ford Focus and BMW i3 make this super simple. Just plug in the phone and it automatically starts playback. Or push the media button and select the Bluetooth source.

It's all very intuitive. What's so complicated with your car's audio system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive