Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 02:29 PM

1,166 posts, read 875,960 times

Advertisements

Personally, I'd rather have a car with 150K that's been religiously maintained than a car with 50k that's not been serviced properly (or ever). Some people seem to think that high mileage automatically "condemns" a vehicle, have seen people trade off good running vehicles just because "it's getting too many miles on it". The bad part was, the person that said that bought the exact same vehicle (had a mid 90's ranger with high miles, traded for mid 90's ranger with lower miles).

Now to me, that's the dumbest thing anyone could do. When you purchase another vehicle, you're essentially "inheriting" all the problems that come with it, problems that you might've already fixed on your other vehicle. Why would anybody want to start from scratch with an unknown vehicle (talking used not new) that could have many of the same problems the old one had that'll have to be fixed AGAIN. Seems like just wasting money and creating more work and headaches for yourself.

So which vehicle would you choose? And why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 02:43 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Personally, as long as I have the money I would never buy anything over 50K miles. I always make sure the vehicle was serviced properly.

Would you buy a 150K mile car with no service history?

Old 01-04-2018, 02:53 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Depends on how high the miles. Even the most well maintained vehicle suffers from wear and tear.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:53 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
condition to me is more important that mileage or age.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:56 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
It also depends on the make of the car. I wouldn't even buy anything new if it came out of Detroit. A well maintained Asian make with 150,000 miles has many more miles left on it.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:56 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
We've only bought new cars for several years, but, now need a replacement 2nd car as an occasional driver. I'm thinking a late model (1-2 years old), low mileage, relatively inexpensive car ($15-$20K). I would be willing to consider something a little older, but nothing with more than about 50K miles on it ... particularly an American-made car.

While a higher mileage car may have been well maintained and in good shape, but, how can one be sure; particularly if the car has had multiple owners. I'm simply not interested in taking-on someone else's problems. Another thing I'm watching-out for is late model, low mileage cars ... that are perhaps coming-out of last year's hurricane/flood areas in Texas or Florida (I don't know how to determine that).

Old 01-04-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
condition to me is more important that mileage or age.
True, but I'd wager to say that the vehicle that's been properly maintained will also be in better condition. I highly doubt that someone would neglect maintenance but keep their car in good condition. Typically when cars are neglected, it's across the board.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:05 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
We've only bought new cars for several years, but, now need a replacement 2nd car as an occasional driver. I'm thinking a late model (1-2 years old), low mileage, relatively inexpensive car ($15-$20K). I would be willing to consider something a little older, but nothing with more than about 50K miles on it ... particularly an American-made car.

While a higher mileage car may have been well maintained and in good shape, but, how can one be sure; particularly if the car has had multiple owners. I'm simply not interested in taking-on someone else's problems. Another thing I'm watching-out for is late model, low mileage cars ... that are perhaps coming-out of last year's hurricane/flood areas in Texas or Florida (I don't know how to determine that).
sEVERAL WEBSITES GIVE YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO RUN THE VIN NUMBER. IT WILL SHOW IF IT WAS REGISTERED IN THOSE AREAS. FREE TO THE PUBLIC I'VE RAN DOZENS AND ALWAYS GET A GOOD PIECE OF INFORMATION. AS GOOD AS CARFAX.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Another thing I'm watching-out for is late model, low mileage cars ... that are perhaps coming-out of last year's hurricane/flood areas in Texas or Florida (I don't know how to determine that).
Look inside the vehicle for exposed metal surfaces and for rust e.g. under seats, under dash, etc. There's no reason why a vehicle would have rust inside the cabin unless it was in a flood. Also, flood cars typically have a musty, mold/mildew smell inside them that is very difficult to get rid of, not to mention the actual mold and mildew on or under the carpet or seats.

NEVER buy a modern vehicle (one with lots of electronics, pretty much anything newer than the early 80's) that's been in a flood, they are nightmares when it comes to strange electrical problems stemming from corrosion inside wiring harnesses and modules.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:11 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
I want to know how you figure 50K miles is low. That's over four years of average driving. Low miles to me is under 20K. Preferably under 15K.

Now, if you're talking 50K miles on a 20 year old car, that's different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive