Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 08:22 PM

55 posts, read 90,532 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this has been asked before.
Im looking for a used car. Cash deal, I dont want my credit pulled and I dont want to give them my SSN, since I'm not looking to finance.

Dealership says they need to me to fill out a credit app, without the SSN. They said they need it to title the car.
I dont want a hard pull since Im looking for a good mortgage rate.

They said they cant pull my credit anyway with my SSN.
Is this true?

I end it up walking but seems like I may have to budge...
Any comments would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 08:34 PM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
That sounds fishy to me like they want to try and talk you into financing.
Cash is cash. If you are bringing folding cash in to buy the car anything over $10,000 has to be reported.
Why not just go to your bank and get a check for the purchase?

There is no reason why your credit should have anything to do with titling the car.

If that dealer is the only one that has the car you want just tell them if they want to sell the car ti is on your terms No credit check required.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:48 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times
I don't know where you are, but I don't really see any reason for this.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:51 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
I just looked at my car title. My S.S. # is not on it and there is no provision for it.
So why do they want S.S.# for a cash sale?

Old 12-05-2016, 09:00 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Are you writing a personal check?

Old 12-05-2016, 09:05 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
There is no reason to give the dealer ANYTHING but the cash. Walk away......

Old 12-05-2016, 09:14 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Sounds like one of those corner store used car lots.

Six states do require an individual's social security number on the title application in order to title a vehicle in your name. The other states may require it unless you present an approved ID like a drivers license, state ID card, a recognized alternative ID or other government ID. But, if the actual application does not specifically call for the SSAN (do your homework and check your state motor vehicle forms section to see whats on the actual paperwork) do not give it to them.

As for a credit check, just make a copy of your drivers license (they may ask to see it and copy/scan it if your test driving a car) and write on the copy "Not Authorized To Run Credit". With that, if they do, you can file a consumer complaint and generally will be awarded some compensation paid for by the used car lot.

(as and FYI, the reason most states do not require an SSAN on the application for title is because if you present an approved ID, the issuing agency already obtained that information and it can be verified or obtained inter-agency)

Old 12-05-2016, 09:23 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
good for you for walking away. No they don't NEED it. They want it, and they want it to know how much more car you can afford.

Did you tell them its a cash deal, and you didn't want your credit being checked?

Is there anything special about this exact car at this dealership?? If you're wanting the best mortgage rate possible, it could certainly be worth spending even a few thousand more on a car from somewhere else if its going to keep that mortgage rate as low as possible.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:00 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
OP specifically said they didn't ask for his Social. They want all of the information filled out for title purposes. It's not uncommon, it's just laziness on the dealer's part - just tell them to use the information on your drivers license. They'll likely be a federal form as well if the purchase is over $10,000.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:02 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
I've had dealers want to pull credit so you could let me take the car right then and there and come back with the cashiers check Monday, next week, or whatever.

Other than that, no friggin way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive