Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 06:35 PM

217 posts, read 282,136 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about only a few hundred in the bank, no experience driving, moving out on my own for the first time. I need a vehicle, but I'm afraid of getting a used car because I don't want to get something that's just going to be plagued with problems, become a financial burden, and then I have to somehow sell it and drop another few thousand dollars on another one.

I'm afraid of getting an expensive car that I have to make down payments on because I don't want to get trapped into a financial commitment and contract that I'm not prepared to go into only to possibly not find a job where I'm going, and now have to scramble to find a job and pay for a new place to live AND a vehicle I can barely afford, all just to keep from getting delinquent debts and hurting my credit score which would make it even HARDER to get another vehicle AND a place to live.

I've considered a moped or a bicycle, but it seems like there's few places in the U.S. where that is realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 07:48 PM

9,508 posts, read 16,409,246 times
Try the Nissan Versa. They start around $10,000 for a manual and $11,000 to $12,000 for the S model automatic. This is for a new car. Nissan will automatically give you $1000 rebate on the purchase. You can put that down for the down payment. Right now would be a perfect time to buy. Dealers want to get rid of any 2016 Versas on the lots. So you most likely will get them, to lower the price on one of the 2016. I bought a 16 Versa in May. I am very pleased with my car. Lke you I did not want used car repairs. So now I have a new car and warranty. It was an inexpensive way to get a new car. Hope this helps.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:52 PM

I hope it still will be a good deal a year from now! I'll look into it. Thank you.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:19 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,061,476 times
Your cheapest options are going to be a bicycle, bus pass, or motorcycle. If those really aren't options, and you want to get a vehicle, its going to depend on your situation. If you weren't so broke and a new driver, I would say consider a lease, but that doesn't seem like a good option. If you are about to move out, and don't even have a vehicle, have you made a financial budget? Do you know what your bills (rent, food, electricity, gas, insurance, entertainment, unexpected expenses, emergency fund) are going to cost you?

Do you have any; tools, knowledge, or place to work on a vehicle, maybe someone who would be able to help you?

Whats your situation? Do you have a job? Do you know your credit score? Do you go to school? Make enough or have a good enough job, that you can expect to have money in a few years to get something better?

What do you NEED a vehicle for, (where will you be going and how often)?

Are you someone who would be willing to move farther away to somewhere you could work for a while and save money if you could get by without a vehicle?

Any used car you buy (that's going to be cheap enough you can afford), is going to be a crap shoot? If youre not getting something with low miles, or know the driver and the history you really never know what COULD happen.
Craigslist, Ebay, and the local paper are your best chance at finding something really cheap. You may also look around for the BHPH (buy here pay here) places. Most people (especially on here), hate them, and know better because they usually have a higher interest rate than average. However, if you have a job and don't have bad credit, that might be your best chance at affording a little better car that will have some kind of mechanic check than what you will get in those other places. If you can be flexible, (which you should being a first car), then you should be able to find something there (if you can get financed) that will last you a few years from there for a few thousand bucks, and cost you maybe a couple hundred a month.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:59 PM

Well, I'd rather not own a car anytime soon, if I can help it, but if I go to live in Toledo, OH for work while I finish my online classes and don't go to trade school for a year, I may have to, unless I can find carpooling or bus transit options there, but I've been told that I would be better off owning a vehicle because of winter weather.

You're right, I do need to create a financial budget, but I don't really know where to begin figuring out that stuff. All I can say is, if I do have to get an apartment, I hope that it won't cost anything more than $500 per month, and I was hoping that by getting a bicycle, moped or motorcycle, I could cut down costs on gas and insurance. I'm guessing I could hopefully only need to spend $100-200 a month on food if I cook my own, and that utilities will cost no more than $100 per month, if I'm careful. As far as emergency funds and unexpected expenses go, I think the only backup money I'll have a year from now is a credit card, if I get one. I get the feeling that the $4k I get from my volunteer work will have to immediately go to other things once I make my move. As far as entertainment goes, I don't plan on going to the club or going out a lot at all. I mostly plan on playing video games, and practicing my writing, drawing, singing and instrument playing.

I don't have any tools or much knowledge when it comes to full-sized vehicles, but I do know some things about bicycles, and I own a hex wrench. That's part of the reason why I want a bicycle or a motorized bicycle, is so I can work on them inside my apartment or dorm or room or whatever. There is also one guy I know back in Memphis who works at my old college's bicycle rental who knows a lot about bicycles, and he has taught me some basic things about those, and has always been willing to work on my bicycles for free while I went to school there. he optimized the last Wal-Mart bicycles I got when I was short on money then. It's starting to make me think maybe I SHOULD stay in Memphis for awhile.

I am living with my dad out in the middle of the country where there's no jobs within walking or biking distance, and I do not have a job at the moment. I am going in February to volunteer with a group called AmeriCorps NCCC for about a year where I will hopefully save up between $2,000 ~ $4,000. I do not know my credit score. I used to go to the University of Memphis, and may go back after my volunteer stint, or at least go to some college or trade school with a dorm, if feasible. One plan I had was to attend the Santa Barbara City College after NCCC so that I can take a Commercial Diving program so I can learn how to do underwater welding while working a part-time job and living on campus, but I'm not sure what living in Santa Barbara is like. I aim to work with the National Forest Service as an interpretive park ranger or something close to it, or work as an EMT or LEO some day after NCCC, but I'm not entirely sure what job I'll end up working a year from now using my Geography degree.

I really think I only need a vehicle for getting around town when going out, or for getting to a workplace with if the bus transit is not dependable. I believe that when it comes to handling business around town or just going out, I could afford a cab, if I don't use it too often, or just use the bus.

Am I willing to move further away to a place where I can get by without a vehicle to save up more money? Definitely.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:21 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,168,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinBo View Post
I've considered a moped or a bicycle, but it seems like there's few places in the U.S. where that is realistic.
I can think of no COLLEGES in the US where a moped or a bicycle wouldn't be realistic.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Well, I'd rather not own a car anytime soon, if I can help it, but if I go to live in Toledo, OH for work while I finish my online classes and don't go to trade school for a year, I may have to, unless I can find carpooling or bus transit options there, but I've been told that I would be better off owning a vehicle because of winter weather.

You're right, I do need to create a financial budget, but I don't really know where to begin figuring out that stuff. All I can say is, if I do have to get an apartment, I hope that it won't cost anything more than $500 per month, and I was hoping that by getting a bicycle, moped or motorcycle, I could cut down costs on gas and insurance. I'm guessing I could hopefully only need to spend $100-200 a month on food if I cook my own, and that utilities will cost no more than $100 per month, if I'm careful. As far as emergency funds and unexpected expenses go, I think the only backup money I'll have a year from now is a credit card, if I get one. I get the feeling that the $4k I get from my volunteer work will have to immediately go to other things once I make my move. As far as entertainment goes, I don't plan on going to the club or going out a lot at all. I mostly plan on playing video games, and practicing my writing, drawing, singing and instrument playing.

I don't have any tools or much knowledge when it comes to full-sized vehicles, but I do know some things about bicycles, and I own a hex wrench. That's part of the reason why I want a bicycle or a motorized bicycle, is so I can work on them inside my apartment or dorm or room or whatever. There is also one guy I know back in Memphis who works at my old college's bicycle rental who knows a lot about bicycles, and he has taught me some basic things about those, and has always been willing to work on my bicycles for free while I went to school there. he optimized the last Wal-Mart bicycles I got when I was short on money then. It's starting to make me think maybe I SHOULD stay in Memphis for awhile.

I am living with my dad out in the middle of the country where there's no jobs within walking or biking distance, and I do not have a job at the moment. I am going in February to volunteer with a group called AmeriCorps NCCC for about a year where I will hopefully save up between $2,000 ~ $4,000. I do not know my credit score. I used to go to the University of Memphis, and may go back after my volunteer stint, or at least go to some college or trade school with a dorm, if feasible. One plan I had was to attend the Santa Barbara City College after NCCC so that I can take a Commercial Diving program so I can learn how to do underwater welding while working a part-time job and living on campus, but I'm not sure what living in Santa Barbara is like. I aim to work with the National Forest Service as an interpretive park ranger or something close to it, or work as an EMT or LEO some day after NCCC, but I'm not entirely sure what job I'll end up working a year from now using my Geography degree.

I really think I only need a vehicle for getting around town when going out, or for getting to a workplace with if the bus transit is not dependable. I believe that when it comes to handling business around town or just going out, I could afford a cab, if I don't use it too often, or just use the bus.

Am I willing to move further away to a place where I can get by without a vehicle to save up more money? Definitely.
Are you going to school right now? Sounds like you are only taking online classes, but it also sounds you like you are all over the place with what career you are considering. How many classes have you taken, how much do you have left?

I am not sure if this fits at all for what you are describing, and I RARELY say this to anyone; but have you considered the military (even if only for a few years)? It will get you out of your home, help you get some confidence and life experience. You will be able to afford school if that's your goal; or you may get trained on what you would like to be your future career, (plus get experience). It is possible to get underwater welding as a job, or something in the healthcare field. You will make decent money to get you a nice vehicle, plus be able to save then move where ever you want to go after that. When you get out, I believe they do still get preference for a National Forestry federal job.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:53 PM

Yes, I've considered the military for four years now. I've been training to lose weight, but I sometimes push myself too hard and get injuries. That on top of living out in the middle of nowhere and under my parents' roof makes it a bit more difficult to get good exercise and eat right.

I am still considering joining, but I may not be able to because while I was in college in Memphis, I was once diagnosed with social anxiety and I think depression by a school counselor, and she sent me to the school nurse/doctor(?) to see if I needed anti-depressants, and she went ahead and gave me a prescription stating that "we all need something to help us get by every now and then." I took them for a month, but I couldn't afford the medication and was far away from campus when I found this out, so I turned to exercising more. When I went back to my counselor concerning this, she was supportive of me exercising as an anti-depressant, and when I asked her about the issue of being prescribed anti-depressants and joining the military, she stated that she doesn't know if the school doctor has records of it, and that nobody can access those records unless I allow them to, and if I were to go back, that may be evidence that I saw a doctor for anti-depressants.

At the time, I believed her, being afraid of doing anything to further mess up my chances of joining the military, and just took it as her trying to help me not to worry, and I still do see it that way. However, now I need to know for sure. I've been off the anti-depressants for a year now, and have been making decent grades in my online classes, and have done volunteer work over the summer with no issues, and if it wasn't for the issue with that time I took anti-depressants, I would just about be ready to join the Air Force, weight-wise. I need to call my old counselor and doctor next week and investigate this. I may have to wait three years before joining, or I may be able to enlist as soon as January.

As far as classes go, I do not know offhand how many I've taken, but I believe that if I continue to take four classes a semester online, I should be finished in about 1 year to 1 1/2. Having thought about all these things, it makes me wonder if I'd be better off just using my financial aid award from NCCC, using my improved GPA with Park University to apply for scholarships, and just go back on campus but at Tennessee State University in Nashville. That way, I have a stable place to live, I can finish my degree, and I can look for and work a job so I can save up some money for when the semester ends or even get an apartment afterwards.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, I've considered the military for four years now. I've been training to lose weight, but I sometimes push myself too hard and get injuries. That on top of living out in the middle of nowhere and under my parents' roof makes it a bit more difficult to get good exercise and eat right.

I am still considering joining, but I may not be able to because while I was in college in Memphis, I was once diagnosed with social anxiety and I think depression by a school counselor, and she sent me to the school nurse/doctor(?) to see if I needed anti-depressants, and she went ahead and gave me a prescription stating that "we all need something to help us get by every now and then." I took them for a month, but I couldn't afford the medication and was far away from campus when I found this out, so I turned to exercising more. When I went back to my counselor concerning this, she was supportive of me exercising as an anti-depressant, and when I asked her about the issue of being prescribed anti-depressants and joining the military, she stated that she doesn't know if the school doctor has records of it, and that nobody can access those records unless I allow them to, and if I were to go back, that may be evidence that I saw a doctor for anti-depressants.

At the time, I believed her, being afraid of doing anything to further mess up my chances of joining the military, and just took it as her trying to help me not to worry, and I still do see it that way. However, now I need to know for sure. I've been off the anti-depressants for a year now, and have been making decent grades in my online classes, and have done volunteer work over the summer with no issues, and if it wasn't for the issue with that time I took anti-depressants, I would just about be ready to join the Air Force, weight-wise. I need to call my old counselor and doctor next week and investigate this. I may have to wait three years before joining, or I may be able to enlist as soon as January.

As far as classes go, I do not know offhand how many I've taken, but I believe that if I continue to take four classes a semester online, I should be finished in about 1 year to 1 1/2. Having thought about all these things, it makes me wonder if I'd be better off just using my financial aid award from NCCC, using my improved GPA with Park University to apply for scholarships, and just go back on campus but at Tennessee State University in Nashville. That way, I have a stable place to live, I can finish my degree, and I can look for and work a job so I can save up some money for when the semester ends or even get an apartment afterwards.
If the military is something you have been interested in, you should at least find out your options. If you are exercising at all, you are probably in good enough shape to enter physically. Whether or not you join, being in good physical condition is a state of mind that you want to always pursue. I find running is great, and you can do it on your own, at your own pace, will do it more if you go in, and as with all fitness, start out slow and easy and you will work yourself into being able to do more. There are a few recruiters who frequent the military section here; a great place to ask something or find out where to look without worrying about what you say in a recruiters station.

However, if you are not CERTAIN about wanting to join the military, and you are that close to finishing school, you need to just get your degree. Any degree will you help you get a job and you can work to save or start deciding on a career (and further school if that's your choice). Make sure you take advantage of any financial aid you can, that's what its there for is to help people who can't just outright pay for college without braking the bank. If you are that close to finishing, I would look into student loans too. Those will get you the money you need to finish your schooling. Move out of the folks house, and find someone renting a room out at your school, or go try to live in the dorms, (and then you can put off the car for a while, or maybe you will get enough of a loan, but if you can avoid it, its best to). With what you said was your budget earlier, those aren't living on your own expenses. That was about what its going to cost you to live with a roommate. Find someone similar to you and give it a try for a not too long of a time. Its a good experience to help you grow, and understand yourself a little better.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:23 PM

You know, it's funny. I actually started working out about a year or two before I considered joining the military. I just like how good it makes me feel, and I remember once seeing parkour videos while sitting in a hookah lounge and wishing I could do that with my body. I also believe in being physically prepared for anything.

I think part of the reason I began taking online classes this fall was because I was running out of financial aid for the college I was originally going to, the University of Memphis, and my GPA dropped slightly below 3.0. However, since I'm going to spend a year in NCCC and hopefully get $5,000 in Segal Award financial aid afterwards, and now that my GPA is back up to 3.0 (I think), I may just go to Tennessee State University in Nashville, and look for a job there. Then maybe after that semester, I can look into an apartment with an old college buddy of mine who wants to get out of Memphis.

I'm not sure if Nashville a very affordable place to live, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive