Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 07:50 AM

3,912 posts, read 5,131,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Using public/private key encryption there is no reason this should be an issue. The problem which has been illustrated so many times with so many devices is the rush to get this tech to market.

Battery operated grinder....zink! They also have sawzall blades for metal like that. Hardened steel is also more susceptible to cracking, you freeze it with a can of air or something else that gets really cold and then hit it with a hammer.

It's a deterrent where thief will move onto easier target but at the end of the day locks keep honest people honest.
I actually tried a Makita grinder on mine. It made a lot of sparks and didn't do much, not enough to damage it's integrity. Not to mention most thieves don't carry power tools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 09:53 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,824,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
I actually tried a Makita grinder on mine.
You need the right cut off wheel for that material for it to be really effective.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:03 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,281,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
I actually tried a Makita grinder on mine. It made a lot of sparks and didn't do much, not enough to damage it's integrity. Not to mention most thieves don't carry power tools.
"Honey, it sounds like someone's running the garbage disposal."

"Go back to sleep."

Old 12-13-2016, 10:21 AM

6,424 posts, read 9,738,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You need the right cut off wheel for that material for it to be really effective.

No, you just cut the steering wheel and remove the lock.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:21 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,482,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My Challenger has proximity and a fob with buttons, but when I leave it, I press the little button on the door handle to lock it for just this reason. When I go back to it, my hand under the door handle unlocks it, the fob stays in my pocket all the time.
Fob proximity is just as easy to hack, unless it is the old IR based ones Benz used to use, but since you fob stays in your pocket, it is also RF based. No problem to pickup the fob-CIM handshake from a good distance with a Software Defined Radio.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:36 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times
I agree with the dislike of the electronic fobs over mechanical keys. My fob broke. A replacement fob is $178 form the dealer and another $58 to program it. Set of two with tax, roughly $400.

I did find some online for $79, however after ordering them I realized the dealer may try to charge me $59 each to program them when they said they would only charge for programming once with dealer fobs. If, so, I still save money, just not very much.

I would take a $1 key anyday, even if it means forgoing the wonder of remote start and a warm car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive