Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2016, 12:18 PM

12 posts, read 21,127 times

Advertisements

This is a 1999 NISSAN SENTRA 1.6 XE
I saw a previous thread similar to this however my situation started differently. Afew months ago I realized my car would sputter if i accelerated too fast, went up hills, etc. It really didn't like highway speeds but could uncomfortably do 60km/hr. It certainly felt like a misfire.

I end up going to a mechanic and they cannot give me a definitive answer. I end up fixing the spark plugs, and spark plug wiring (ignition wires?), and neither of them solved the issue. I then decided to fix the fuel filter. After the fuel filter was replaced, I drove the car for 15 minutes and it was perfect again. where I felt it was about to sputter like in the past it just kept accelerating (at highway speeds) and all was well for that drive. I bring it home and try doing it again an hr later. All of a sudden the sputtering is worse. It is at the point where I cannot even drive it nowhere near 60km/hr. I basically drove it up the street realized it was sputtering constantly and reversed it right on back. Aimlessly tried resetting the battery nothing happened. And now where I start the car, it will idle for 5 minutes, then it begins to choke and will turn off. If I start it immediately after this happens It will happen again immediately, its as if it cannot hold out for another 5 minutes. However if i wait half an hr after this happens, it will be able to idle for 5 minutes before dying again..

**Another note** BEFORE I replaced the fuel filter I had an OBD II scanner tell me I had 2 issues-
The first one was p0300 multiple misfires failure
Second one was p1491 'vacuum cut valve bypass valve' - After I replaced the Fuel Filter, the misfire went away and now it is just the vacuum cut valve bypass valve on the OBD II scanner:s

Incase this is useful information in this scenario, the scanner also said this:
Fuel system 1: CL
Fuel system 2:NA
CALC Load (%): 92.2
ECT (Farenheit): 185
stft b1(%):-3.9
LTFT b1(%):6.3
MAP(inHG):28.9
ENG RPM: (3313)
Veh Speed(MPH):31

-Also I realized I drove with a cracked ignition wire for almost a year, causing sputtering when it rained as moisture got in there, I ended up replacing distributor cap awhile ago but didnt fix the wire right away- could this be related?

If anyone could give their opinion that would be great as I am a lost cause with car work. Any additional information I can provide! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 12:25 PM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
I'd probably address the P1491 code and troubleshoot/replace the vacuum cut valve bypass first.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:33 PM

12 posts, read 21,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'd probably address the P1491 code and troubleshoot/replace the vacuum cut valve bypass first.
Could that have anything to do with the fuel pump? my last mechanic mentioned it but after the fuel filter issue I could not go back there. I really do not understand how the fuel filter went from perfect to god-awful worse for the car... It makes me think they screwed up putting the filter in because in hindsight they did not seem that knowledgeable

Old 12-13-2016, 12:43 PM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
The cut valve prevents manifold pressure from being directly applied to the fuel tank. If faulty, the vac issue could be the cause of your issue as it applies manifold pressure direct to the tank.

How good are you at diagnostic troubleshooting?

http://www.autocodes.com/uploads/nissan/NTB02-033.pdf

It appears it's normally closed, so I'd identify the vac line, uplug it, cap both ends, and see if the issue goes away. If it does, then I'd replace the valve.

it looks like this

Old 12-13-2016, 12:48 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,875,351 times
Check your fuses. Im wanting to say that valve is electrically opened to allow vacuum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive