Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 02:51 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,010,132 times

Advertisements

With the rise of smaller hatchbacks in the market, as one who's going to be looking for a new(ish) car in the future, what direction would you go for a daily driver that occasionally might get used for road trips (kids car seat to go in the back)? The new 2017 Mazda3 looks good but I can't stand the smaller wheels on the mazda as it looks like the body is too long. As much as I don't favor Vw reliability, having previously owned a golf tdi, I have a soft spot for the new golf wolfsburg. I feel like the Soul and Elantra GT have the value card nailed. I'd be interested in others experiences/thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 02:56 PM

294 posts, read 337,409 times
Honda Civic for reliability.

I drove an Elentra GT as a rental for a good bit and I liked it better than the Ford Focus. You get the bells and whistles AND extra warranty coverage compared to other brands. I personally like Japanese cars but the Korean ones seem to be catching up.

How about the Corolla hatch?

Old 10-17-2016, 03:18 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,260,346 times
I've been through a number of hatchbacks over the years. My favorite was my 2010 GTI. However, it was at the dealer often enough for minor little issues that coworkers would be noticing that I was in a loaner "yet again".

This time around I tried out all the hatches on the market. I was wanting something fun to drive, handled well, fit my 6'7 self, offered a manual in something other than the bare bones underengined trim, had some basic creature comforts, and was reliable.

I came down to the new Golf(or maybe springing for the GTI again) or the Kia Forte5 SX. Having enjoyed my last VW and already having shorts and other VW swag I figured I would be driving away in the Golf. But I surprised myself and got the Forte5.

200hp turbo, sub 3k weight, 6 speed manual available in top trim, decent handling stock(vastly improved by a $150 rear anti-roll bar), nice interior that doesn't look like it was designed by a 14 year old, nice long warranty, some luxury features stuffed in a sub $20k hatch(paid $17,900 for mine new), good stuff. Averaging 30mpg in congested Portland area city/suburban driving.

Only disappointment so far that I didn't think to check before purchase was the shorter maintenance intervals compared to the 10k intervals with the VW. But more frequent oil changes are just a good idea for turbo GDI engines de to the nature of the beast. VW likely gets away with the longer intervals because they are out of warranty before any maintenance interval problems would creep up.

Just a few years ago I would have said you would never find me in a Kia. But they are really putting out some quality products now.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:39 PM

604 posts, read 653,795 times
To me the VW GTI since no other one (of the ones considered) comes close to handling and interior looks.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:48 PM

902 posts, read 1,105,774 times
Most fun to Drive: = German Car
Most reliable: = Japanese Car
Highest rate of depreciation: = Korean & German Cars
Slowest Rate of depreciation: = Japanese Cars

year after year both KBB and Consumer Reports find that the 5 year cost to own is lowest with the Civic and Corolla

the 5 year CTO model takes into account Initial cost, MPG, insurance costs, maintenance costs, frequency of maintenance intervals, repair costs and the most important factor.... Depreciation

it sucks when you do some research and find that every time you make your monthly payment of say $300 or so, you are silently losing another $150-450 per month (varies depending on national origin of car)

the latest models from Korea (Kia/Hyundai) are just as good as the Japanese stuff and with a longer warranty..... the problem, Residual value percentages are poor.... making them more expensive to own

Residual values have little to do with whether a car is a good car, or not. And more to do with desirability in the secondary market once traded in..... this is why the Mini Cooper (which scores among the very lowest in reliability) enjoys some of the highest residual values

Last edited by azsportpilot; 10-17-2016 at 03:56 PM..

Old 10-17-2016, 03:59 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
One of the guys at work has a Soul. He drives the hell out of it. 12k in 6 months. Has absolutely no problems with it
You probably can't go wrong with a Civic. it might be a bit more but depends how long you plan on keeping it. If you're gonna drive it till the wheels fall off resale is inconsequential

Old 10-17-2016, 04:00 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,794,661 times
Mazda 3 Grand Touring among the Japanese makes for a few reasons:

- Best chassis and handling
- Reasonably potent 184hp 2.5L engine available vs the gutless engines in the others
- Best in class styling (subjective of course, but I think the other cars look hideous!)
- Best in class interior (blows the competition away)

IMO, the Golf GTI has the edge in styling and performance but loses out on reliability which is a very important factor to me so I chose the Mazda 3. The rear of the new Civic hatchback is downright hideous with all that plastic cladding. The interior is also cheap with overuse of hard plastics.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:04 PM

902 posts, read 1,105,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Mazda 3 Grand Touring among the Japanese makes for a few reasons:

- Best chassis and handling
- Reasonably potent 184hp 2.5L engine available vs the gutless engines in the others
- Best in class styling (subjective of course, but I think the other cars look hideous!)
- Best in class interior (blows the competition away)

IMO, the Golf GTI has the edge in styling and performance but loses out on reliability which is a very important factor to me so I chose the Mazda 3.
this is the best advice so far, the Mazda 3 has superb handling and is almost as fun to drive as a German car while still maintaining Japanese reliability and the high residual values the Japanese cars are known for

If reliability was no concern I would pick the German car for FUN factor, but not a new VW when I can get a used Porsche for the same money (German cars depreciate rapidly)

Old 10-17-2016, 04:30 PM

294 posts, read 337,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post

If reliability was no concern I would pick the German car for FUN factor, but not a new VW when I can get a used Porsche for the same money (German cars depreciate rapidly)

that bad?

Old 10-17-2016, 04:33 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,260,346 times
GTI depreciation isn't that bad. Unless you spring for the fully loaded autobahn. Options depreciate the fastest. The base GTI and Golf depreciation is very good in desirable markets(around hipstery cities in particular).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive