Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 11:22 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

I think my son found an ideal next car to carry him through the end of college/grad school (except I have to help him pay for it more than I had planned, but I want him to get it so I can drive it sometimes). It is a 1994 Dodge Stealth (160K miles I think). It has a twin turbo 6, all wheel drive and all wheel steering. I am curious what people might know about these cars. They are basically a Mitsubishi 3000. What are common problems at high mileage? The complaints I have found are parts/repairs are expensive, it is cramped for more than 2 people, uncomfortable on long drives, and gas mileage is not phenomenal. It does not seem to suffer from Dodge disease (constant (weekly) small things breaking) - perhaps because it is really a Mitsubishi. Anyone have one or know what things need to be watched for at a more senior age? (the car is older than my son )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 11:25 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Money eater! Twin turbo with high miles over a decade old!

Old 12-12-2016, 11:38 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Kind of a cool car as a cheap weekend driver for a gainfully employed adult with a little extra discretionary income available to repair the little things that are guaranteed to go wrong with it from time to time.

Terrible car for a college kid.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:39 AM

1,062 posts, read 979,668 times
That car is better left to enthusiasts who for some reason are obsessed with that particular vehicle.

Cheap modern cars are faster, handle better, and more reliable. How about a Mustang?

Old 12-12-2016, 11:40 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
I'd want to know how it has been treated and cared for and be able to see some service records/history if possible.

An all stock, unmolested example is going to have a far greater chance of being relatively reliable for you than someone who modified it, beat on it, etc.

That said, I am not sure I would recommend this kind of car for a college kid. Chances are, it has not been driven by granny to the corner store it's whole life, just based on the nature of this type of car and any repairs you encounter will not be cheap for someone focusing on college.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:54 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I'd avoid that car. As you've discovered, parts are a tad harder to find/expensive for this particular car. It's basically a 3000GT VR4 rebodied in dodge form (DSM). It's very mechanically complicated with it's AWD, and 4-wheel steering and twin turbo powerplant.

Given the age. miles, complexity, and rarity, this is more of an enthusiasts car vs reliable college transportation.

Plus my experience with 90's Mitsubishi's is they have their own electrical gremlins.

Plus 160K miles.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:56 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
It is an expensive car to maintain with plenty of things that can go wrong. A n/a FWD model OTOH would look just as good and be far easier to keep up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'd avoid that car. As you've discovered, parts are harder to find/expensive for this particular car. It's basically a 3000GT VR4 rebodied in dodge form (DSM).
Agreed except it is not a DSM. DSMs were made in Normal, IL...the Eclipse Talon and Laser specifically when it comes to enthusiast models. The Stealth was made in Japan along side its fraternal twin the 3000GT.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:59 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
I have not run across a 3000GT or Stealth that hasn't been abused.

If you want a weekend or project car, go for it but I would rather go with similar car from that era if you are looking for a project.

Not a car for someone paying their way through college.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:01 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
It is an expensive car to maintain with plenty of things that can go wrong. A n/a FWD model OTOH would look just as good and be far easier to keep up.

Agreed except it is not a DSM. DSMs were made in Normal, IL...the Eclipse Talon and Laser. The Stealth was made in Japan along side its fraternal twin the 3000GT.

Yes.. I believed they were like the Conquest and Starion. They were fun car from the late 80's.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:27 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
That car is better left to enthusiasts who for some reason are obsessed with that particular vehicle.

Cheap modern cars are faster, handle better, and more reliable. How about a Mustang?
Mustangs are too expensive unless they are completely thrashed. Also terrible in snow and ice. A big appeal of the Stealth is the AWD (plus some rather amazing acceleration). Other AWD cars tend to be pretty pricey or really boring. The all wheel steering is neat sounding too. Not sure how much it helps handling. I am pretty sure Mustangs are not faster (the Testarossa is not faster), nor handle better, but they are too popular anyway. Same is true of WRX (another AWD choice, but they are crazy expensive unless totally thrashed). The awesome thing about the Stealth, it is an unknown, unpopular AWD that can 0-60 in under 5 seconds, only comes with a manual transmission, and does not attract too much attention. Where else can you get that for under $3000?

He may decide against it and opt for a boring car like a Civic or a Jetta when he looks at prices for parts and the frequency and difficulty of repairs.

I am having difficulty identifying likely failure parts (he has no time right now - engineering finals). Usually, you can find lots of owners rattling off the things that typically go bad for a particular car. Not this. I will look into the 3000s, maybe I can find more information there, I think they were more common.

While he is a good mechanic, the parts may be prohibitively expensive. He will mostly use it for driving home (220 miles each way) for an occasional weekend/holiday, work nearby when it is too cold or wet to walk, and sometimes driving to the other part of campus if he cannot take the bus for whatever reason (campus is 2/3 in a corn field and 1/3 in a city about 12 miles away). So he will not be using it a huge amount, but when it is broken (like his current car has been for several months), it is a PIA for us to have to go get him. The big plus to me, is I may get to drive it for the summer since he is likely to be out of state someplace.

I have to admit I am probably as, or more excited about it than he is (although I do not know how excited or not he is about it - he just found it advertised and texted the link to me). One of my dream play cars is a Mistubishi Spyder (basically the same car with a hard top convertible). I would like to try all wheel steering and it would be fun to have access to a car that fast again before i am too old to have the vision and reflexes to drive it aggressively and the flexibility to get in and out of it. However I do not want to saddle him with a boondoggle just so I can have fun.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 12-12-2016 at 01:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive