Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 04:31 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,180,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
the GM 3800 IS NOT bullet proof. They are notorious for developing a intake manifold problem and if you dont catch it, coolant leaks into the engine and destroys it. EVERY one I know witht he 3800 has has this problem and a few of them had the engine go out, because they didnt adress it.

If you can get a 3800 where the intake manifold has been replaced, Im sure you can get some good miles out of the car.
Considering they "all" do it, there sure are a lot of old ones running around these parts.
OTOH, Toyotas and Hondas of similar vintage are few. The salt they use so liberally around here does 'em in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 05:50 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,887,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scend57 View Post

- hes not a mechanic type, so preferrably something that's low maintenance or cheap parts

You have got the wrong question.

The brand, model makes little difference.

You should stick to only 4 cylinder cars.

It is not the car but the previous owners, condition, and miles on odometer.

As many have stated here:

Look for a one owner car.
No accidents.
Maintenance records.
A timing chain engine only. Skip all cars with timing belts.
And lower miles on odometer if possible.

Another note.
I have a neighbor who only buys beater Toyota Corolla for around $1,000. He doesn't care what they look like. But does ONLY buys from original owner. Miles on odometer are usually high. Uses Craigslist. He drives them for 3 or 4 years and then gets another one. This is in rust belt areas so rust is a key feature to avoid.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:02 AM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Toyota Camry and Corolla will run a long time.
so will:

Honda
Ford
Chevrolet
Volvo
GMC
Mitsubishi
Subaru
Saturn
Dodge*
Chrysler*
Pontiac
Buick
Rover
Mazda
VW
BMW (except they get pretty expensive to service)
Mercedes (Same)
Acura
Lexus

(* excluding minivans)

Other brands my be iffy, but with these you have a reasonable chance of getting car that will go to 200,000 miles. When you are talking about a $2500 car, the chances are about equal.

Cars that will not run a long time (unless you put some work into them):
Corvair
Jensen
Rolls Royce/Bentley
Avanti
Delorean
Pantera
Citicar
Electric Ford Ranger
VW Thing
MG

Anything else, including Toyotas, you have equal chance of a long life or a life of problems.

There is no magic about brands at that age of cars. That is just marketing and media games.

Generally, you will have to pay more for a beater toyota or Honda because of the urban legend of reliability.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:20 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,490,624 times
Toyota Camry, Corolla or small pickup

Chevy S10 pickup

Ford Ranger pickup

A Geo, if you can find one...they run forever, great gas mileage.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:46 AM

1,287 posts, read 1,580,483 times
Quote:
the GM 3800 IS NOT bullet proof. They are notorious for developing a intake manifold problem and if you dont catch it, coolant leaks into the engine and destroys it. EVERY one I know witht he 3800 has has this problem and a few of them had the engine go out, because they didnt adress it.

If you can get a 3800 where the intake manifold has been replaced, Im sure you can get some good miles out of the car.
Gen III 3800 fixes pretty much every problem there is. It was only in the last gen Grand Prix and first gen LaCrosse though. The supercharged version in the Grand Prix is an absolute monster that sips fuel. I miss mine.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:52 AM

4,145 posts, read 3,872,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
so will:

Honda
Ford
Chevrolet
Volvo
GMC
Mitsubishi
Subaru
Saturn
Dodge*
Chrysler*
Pontiac
Buick
Rover
Mazda
VW
BMW (except they get pretty expensive to service)
Mercedes (Same)
Acura
Lexus

(* excluding minivans)

Other brands my be iffy, but with these you have a reasonable chance of getting car that will go to 200,000 miles. When you are talking about a $2500 car, the chances are about equal.

Cars that will not run a long time (unless you put some work into them):
Corvair
Jensen
Rolls Royce/Bentley
Avanti
Delorean
Pantera
Citicar
Electric Ford Ranger
VW Thing
MG

Anything else, including Toyotas, you have equal chance of a long life or a life of problems.

There is no magic about brands at that age of cars. That is just marketing and media games.

Generally, you will have to pay more for a beater toyota or Honda because of the urban legend of reliability.

I am an owner of a 10 year old Honda and a 15 year old Toyota and can tell you the touted reliability is no myth. Very reliable cars.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:54 AM

9,612 posts, read 21,161,219 times
Quote:

This problem was only on the Series II produced between 1995 and 2003. It typically manifested itself between 80,000 and 110,000 miles. And a recall was issued in 2009.

What I'm getting at here is that any car with this engine that is still on the road has probably had the intake fixed, either out of necessity due to failure or via recall. Someone looking at a low-mileage model will probably want to verify that it's been updated, but other than that it should be a non-issue.

And other than the intake issue, this is a pretty consistent 200K+ mile engine. I've had a couple and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:59 AM

9,612 posts, read 21,161,219 times
Quote:
I am an owner of a 10 year old Honda and a 15 year old Toyota and can tell you the touted reliability is no myth. Very reliable cars.
I think the "myth" he was speaking of is that Hondas and Toyotas are the only reliable cars on the road. In 30 years the only car I've owned that I'd call unreliable was a 1966 Bel Air, and it was 35 years old at the time.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:11 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,666,623 times
My first car was a 1969 Dodge Charger, I have put over 200000 miles on it over 30 years. It cost me $50.00! Super rust bucket but it's going to be stripped to help restore another one I have. My other vehicle was a 1969 D300 truck which ran till it literally fell apart from rust. Other Mopar collectors I know think they are unreliable, but in 30 years of driving I have never had to get it towed.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:14 AM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times
Quote:
In one example yes. However so are all the other cars listed - in specific examples.

You had a Toyota that went a long time (did you get to 200,000 miles?) My BIL had one that was a POS and junk at 125,000. I guess if you average the two examples, Toyotas are just average.

Point is at the age and milage OP is talking about, any given car is the same. If you are carfeul and lucky, you will get a car the goes and goes forever with few problems. If you are not careful and not lucky, you will get a junker. To Toyota Camry that was beat to snot when it became the family teenage sons high school beater is not going to last as long as the Ford Fusion that was driven by a 45 year old with OCD. (Probably - luck will still come into play).

I am the owner of an 18 year old Volvo and recently a 24 year old Lincoln Towncar, a 13 year old ford ranger, a 13 year old Saturn Ion (with 280,000 plus miles on it), a 22 year old Ford Thunderbird (could go on for a while with examples, both great and bad). I can tout the reliability of all of those with the best of the toyota Owners. I have had other cars that were terrible, including a Honda, and a relative had had a terrible toyota. However individual examples are just that, individual examples. OP could buy your toyota and have the transmission fail tomorrow. Or he could buy our volvo and drive it for another 80,000 miles with no problems. Or vice versa. The one thing that can be certain is he will pay more for that Toyota than for say the Ford Fusion with the OCD owner who drove it carefully and followed every letter of the maintenance manual. The Ford would be a far better deal.

the trick is finding that Ford. No one advertises "1997 Fusion driven by an OCD driver who meticulously followed every letter of the manual." If they did, you would not know whether to believe it.

Best option, is if you happen to know that OCD driver - buy their car when it is old and worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive