Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 07:37 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,535,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodie2shoes View Post
Yes. It's all in the details. Here is a side by side comparison of a Toyota Truck vs a Ford Truck.

The Toyota Truck has heat shield throughout the exhaust while Ford stops halfway. Toyota neatly tucks all wires and stuff under the car saftely. While Ford has theirs dangling all over the place. Don't get me started on the Motor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZA7lkcJYhA
Sorry, but I can't watch a deliberately biased Toyota dealer comparing these two trucks. Of course he's going to find everything wrong with the Ford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 08:26 AM

7,885 posts, read 11,315,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I only buy American brand vehicles, have for over 50 years, never a problem. The biggest problem I see with any vehicle is the owner/drivers that don't properly maintain them, abuse them, or use them for what they are not designed for.
You never owned a 1972 Chevy Vega or 1985 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. Two most unreliable cars Ive even owned my miles. Nearly broke GM and me trying to keep the caddy running. You assume this is because I didn't maintain them? really? look at consumer reports objective info and you will see you are settling for less with American brands more often than now over 50 years. now they do make more reliable cars thanks to the Japanese competition.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:01 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,046,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
You never owned a 1972 Chevy Vega or 1985 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. Two most unreliable cars Ive even owned my miles.

I had an '85 Caddy Fleetwood Brougham (the upper trim level of your car) that was dead nuts reliable for the duration that I had it (traded it off at 185k miles). So I can counter YOUR anecdotal evidence with my own.

And my 2013 Chevy Volt was perfectly reliable, economical and had excellent build quality, which is why they have one of the highest owner satisfaction ratings of any modern car. (I've already seen 2011 models go over 200k miles on the Volt forums...)

My 2002 Chevy Suburban is going strong at 135k miles, towing a 35 foot, 9k lb travel trailer all over the east coast. Only trouble I've had with it is environmental (some rust in the brake lines at 120k miles).

My '96 Ford Ranger Splash never needed work in the 3 years I had it, my '99 SVT Contour was likewise flawless (what I traded the Ranger in on). So was my '02 PT Cruiser for the 5 years and 70k miles I had it (what I traded the Contour in on as I needed a more family friendly car at the time).

So yeah, in 38 years I've had a lot of experience with foreign and domestic cars, many with high miles on them.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:11 AM

6,585 posts, read 5,828,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Or they live in a place where the weather doesn't kill 'hem.
The don't call it the Rust Belt for nothin'.
True. But at the other end of the spectrum, it's just as true. I bought a 10-year-old 1997 Toyota Corolla in Phoenix, Arizona. It had been beautifully cleaned up, engine glistening, pretty much everything worked right, and the price was a few thousand.

Someone said to me: Good purchase, those Corollas will run forever!

Yeah, I suppose, after you've replaced every fricking part in them. This vehicle must have been parked in the 115 degrees desert sun for 10 years, gradually drying out every rubber part, every gasket, and every plastic coated wire.

I had to replace pretty much everything: boots, brakes, gaskets, carburetor, power steering system, even the motor. A Massachusetts mechanic told me he'd never seen some of the stuff that car had.

Finally the AC died and it was making nasty rattling sound when turning. I finally got it through my stupid head to get rid of this junker.

Any car can have problems, even without rust, including Japanese cars. Like someone said, it's how well you take care of them. In my case, the car was ruined before I even took possession, and I sank many thousands into it, because you know, it's a Toyota, so after THIS repair it'll be perfect! Never again.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:24 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,974,665 times
I'm curious if there's a generation gap here. Older drivers (Baby Boomers and up) seem more split on the Domestic vs. Foreign car debate, whereas younger drivers lean more strongly towards the Toyotas, Nissans, Hyundais etc. of the world.

There may also be a cultural element at play, though I haven't teased it out. Everyone I know that's either 1st or 2nd generation American has a Japanese/Korean car. Of course all of these people are under 35, so maybe that's the reason.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:29 AM

15,932 posts, read 12,176,639 times
I like that I can directly access my headlights to replace bad ones just by unscrewing the old one from the trunk.. I would not buy a vehicle where you have to remove the front bumper to access the headlights to change the bulbs.

One plus for Honda would be that they still include tranny dipsticks on their models... I know they say you never have to change the tranny fluid but if it gets overheated it will wear out and need replacing.

How easy are they to self service? That's a big selling point.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:13 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,162,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
You never owned a 1972 Chevy Vega or 1985 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. Two most unreliable cars Ive even owned my miles. Nearly broke GM and me trying to keep the caddy running. You assume this is because I didn't maintain them? really? look at consumer reports objective info and you will see you are settling for less with American brands more often than now over 50 years. now they do make more reliable cars thanks to the Japanese competition.
A 1972 and 1985 car have nothing to do with 2016.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:23 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,863,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I know they say you never have to change the tranny fluid

Where did you get that one?

Old 12-16-2016, 12:43 PM

24,503 posts, read 17,956,220 times
In 2016, even an "unreliable" model can be expected to go 125,000 to 150,000 miles without anything massively expensive going wrong with it.

Earlier in this thread, we had the CR most/least reliable cars by class:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I'd bet the fleet of Ford Fiesta, Ford Focus, Chrysler 200, Dodge Charger, Acura TLX, Mustang, and Grand Caravan cited as least reliable in class pretty much all go 125,000 to 150,000 miles without stranding the driver or having enormous repair bills. Will some be lemons? Sure. If you beat on it with a lot of city driving and don't maintain it? It might have some expensive problems.

I'd be less confident saying that about heavy SUVs and pickups. A lot of those really are prone to expensive suspension and drive train failures. A 2,500 to 3,500 pound mass market FWD sedan that I'd rent as a compact, midsize, or full size car at Hertz? I'd expect most to hold up pretty well no matter how much CR hates it.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:47 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,162,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Where did you get that one?
Quite a few cars have "lifetime" transmission fluids.
Owners and manufacturers may have very different ideas of what "lifetime" means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive