Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 03:49 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,821,941 times

Advertisements

Something Subaruish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 04:31 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
My parents liked their first Buick Enclave well enough they replaced it with another one. And then got a Forrester over the summer and now only take the Enclave out when they have to be different places at about the same time.

The Outback/Forrester is a very Swiss Army Knife sort of vehicle that does a lot of things well- it's a comfortable daily driver that gets above average gas mileage, handles bad weather as well as any of them (their peers in AWD technology are the more expensive BMW and Audi options, IMO) and, while not a rock hopper like a proper Jeep, will handle moderately gnarly single track logging roads on the weekend with good cheer. You can also haul a lot in them with the back seat folded down.

You may find something else that better suits you needs in the end but based on post #1, definitely give the Outback a good test drive.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:50 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
Look at all the Subaru models. If you can afford to go up in price, look at some of the Volvo and Audi models.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:53 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Volvo. Safest car out there. I have driven them on and off for years. I had a Volvo wagon with AWD and it was great in the snow. I don't live in a real snowy area anymore but when we do get snow it doesn't always get plowed. I currently have a Volvo XC90 and it can fit 7.

I wouldn't get a new one because this is the first year for the new body style and they are working the kinks out. The kinks are mainly technology issues.
While I really like our Volvo v70 XC awd, it is tight or four people. I cannot imagine cramming 7 into it unless 5 of them were under 8 years of age.

I am a bit frustrated with our wagon today having gotten stuck in the snow for an hour this morning. But it was my fault, not the car, I could not get the windows clear fast enough and rather than waiting I tried to back out of our 180' driveway and went too far to one side.

Volvos are not perfect but they have some great features and some not so great:

Fantastic AWD system. Ours has three modes sport, economy (fwd) and winter. They do not do much and the winter one is really only for really severe conditions, but nice to have if needed.

Loads of bells and whistles and more buttons than a button factory.

The best heated seats I have encountered.

Weird 5 cylinder engine (if you like weird engine configurations).

Very little road noise.

Everything is heated and everything has wipers to wipe it.

Decent gas mileage.

Reasonably comfortable for four small people. Kinda tough for tall/big people.

Really expensive parts and unnecessary complicated repairs. DIY is tough. Lots of specialized tools required.

You can get "high mileage club" sticker at 200,000 miles.

Rather anemic acceleration for a 5 cylinder turbo.

Still going strong at over 250,000 miles. (yes it has some issues that are too expensive to repair, but overall, chugging right along).

Boxy, but good.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:58 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,447,887 times
Want to help me pick a new vehicle?
Nope.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Super helpful.

OP, I would look at Subaru Outback and Ford Escape.

Also, agreed on winter tires, even if you do go AWD/FWD.
agreed. these are the cars i would be looking at if i needed AWD.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:44 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,149,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Want to help me pick a new vehicle?
Nope.
GTFO, then.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:22 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,417,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Thanks everyone...great advice all around. Now I have a place to start research. I sure love the look of the Outbacks so I am going to go look at one
Although I recommended the Honda CR-V (which is a great car), my first choice would probably be a Subaru. Everyone I know that has either of these cars have loved them. I just wanted to give you another solid option. I think the CR-V may have a little more space in them too. Happy shopping!

Old 12-20-2016, 07:24 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Honda CR-V AWD.
We just test drove the 2017 CR-V and it was great. Definitely my favorite and if the vehicle was for me, I would be buying it. I like Honda's reliability. We have a couple of Honda vehicles and I like how little problems we have had with them. Of course some of my reasoning may be due to my familiarity with their cars but still you can't go wrong with them. Jay

Old 12-20-2016, 07:34 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
What does good gas mileage mean to you? What is your definition of Roomy? I would look at a Highlander XLE or a Pilot EXL. 3 rows, 2 of them roomy, easy in and out, AWD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive