Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 01:39 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times

Advertisements

Acura MDX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 07:03 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Starting my second year in the great frozen north, I have decided I want to sell my light weight 2 wheel drive car and get something more suited to winter driving. The main issue is that, if there is snow on the road, I cant get up the hill to my house and I slide like crazy getting up the hill to my kid's school. My husband has a BMW sedan with AWD and has none of the trouble I have (and I am a much better driver then he is LOL). A lot of people have told me switching to AWD or 4WD will really help.

But I am not sure where to start. So I thought I would ask some car buffs for ideas.

Wants:
AWD or 4WD (which is better?)
good gas milage/low emissions
family sized car (either roomy back seat or 3rd row)
Not to high off the ground (bad knee)
If it has a 5th door, I want it to be automatic
A few luxury items would be nice, like blue tooth, heated seats, nice rear camera, safety options
Safe
A lot of cargo space

I would like it to be under 40k but am flexible.

Ideas?
I haven't had time to read through all of the responses yet, but I hope to later today. In the meantime, I have three suggestions (two that I really like) that appear to meet your list of requirements-

2016 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring or Signature AWD - 3-row SUV, redesigned for 2016, best fuel economy in class, great to drive, has the interior of a $50k+ vehicle including real aluminum and real Rosewood trim on the top-level 'Signature' model. The next-to-the-highest Grand Touring AWD stickers for around $42k but should be less than $40k plus tax. (Note- I have a 2012 CX-9 and I LOVE IT!) Fuel economy ratings are 21/city and 27/hwy and independent tests seem to confirm or exceed these figures. The top-end Signature model has exclusive Dark Auburn Nappa Leather and rosewood trim. It looks and drives like a much more expensive car than it is. Definitely worth a look, at least. It also has LED headlights, Rain-sensing wipers, Power liftgate, 12-speaker BOSE audio system that rocks, just to name a few features...

2017 Volvo S60 T5 Inscription AWD - a very elegant and EXTREMELY safe, plus Volvo is a 'premium' car company (not quite full-blow luxury, but not everyday either). The 'Inscription' model was introduced last year and it extends the length of the S60 by 3-inches, all of which is dedicated to rear seat legroom. $41k will get you a very nicely equipped one. It would be a nice treat, if you live with a sedan. Fuel economy on the AWD model is 21/29.

My favorite AWD mid-size sedan is the 2017 Ford Fusion Platinum AWD (or Titanium AWD). My best friend (in Pittsburgh) just got a 2017 Fusion Titanium AWD and it is a very nice car. His only stickered for $33k, but there are plenty of extras to make it even nicer. The top-rung Platinum model stickers for $39,615 and the only possible options are extra-cost paint colors. It has Premium leather interior in Medium Ceramic with Cocoa trim (and cocoa dash/door upper trim) and it looks amazing. It also has everything from Heated & Cooled Seats to Heated Steering Wheel to Adaptive Cruise Control and Blind Spot Monitoring. And it comes with a pretty sweet 12-spkr SONY audio system. Ford's new SYNC3 (new for 2017) is also a very nice interface.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:22 AM

998 posts, read 1,236,978 times
For Winter conditions, Winter Tires provide sooooooo much more performance than do All Season ("No Season") tires .

https://youtu.be/JGfvyPtYR0Y

Just because you say you have "good tires" doesn't mean anything. Are they good summer performance tires ... are they good all season tires? And just because they're "good" doesn't mean they're good on snow or ice.

Not sure why people are suggesting small cars if you claim you want a larger 3 row vehicle ... Subaru Foresters are not big.

Lots of room, all-wheel-drive (although not the best system), and easy to get into because of bad knees, and a car no one's mentioned is the Ford Flex ... huge capacity, can be had with lots of options, full of airbags so rated very well for safety. You can pick up a 1 or 2 year old one for around your price point.

BUT, for ultimate traction, no matter what vehicle, winter tires are needed.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:54 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
My wife drives the Forester. She loves it. I'm meh on it. I also don't like the seats. They are just uncomfortable. But everything else is fine, not outstanding just fine. Styling is generic but will age well. Interior is basic no frills. That is what Subaru is.

She has winter tires on them so it's a tank in the snow. That is all that matters to her along with the high roofline, unobstructed view, and high seating position to see beyond the hood.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:58 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
And the big advantage with snow tires in addition to the tread design (which does help) is in the compound. It is softer rubber so it won't harden as much in the cold as to still give you grip on the cold, icy road.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:58 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I also don't like the seats. They are just uncomfortable
Absolute deal breaker... I get out and walk away.
I will not have a car that makes my butt or back hurt.

BMW X1 did the same thing... the seats were horrible. Hard and narrow.
I think we made it a few blocks before we turned around and went back.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Absolute deal breaker... I get out and walk away.
I will not have a car that makes my butt or back hurt.

BMW X1 did the same thing... the seats were horrible. Hard and narrow.
I think we made it a few blocks before we turned around and went back.
Depending on your size, you might want to stick with bigger vehicles like Suburban/Yukon or a crew cab.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:59 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Kind of an old thread, but I'll throw another vote in for Subaru. The Forester or Outback would probably suit your needs and they have very ample option lists which would come in well under your budget, even loaded up.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:00 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Depending on your size, you might want to stick with bigger vehicles like Suburban/Yukon or a crew cab.
I owned a Tahoe and it had great springy seats... all day comfortable.
It's not the size. The seats in my Eclipse are very comfortable, as were the seats in my Jag X-type and Saab 9-3.
My Merkur's seats are a lot like those in the Tahoe. Both the XR4Ti and Scorpio have great seats.

The seats in my wife's Mercedes C320 4Matic would put my right leg to sleep on long trips.
Chevy Cruze Eco seats are awful, but the leather seats in the diesel are fine. Obviously more than just a cover difference there.

Last edited by eaton53; 12-22-2016 at 11:17 AM..

Old 12-22-2016, 11:09 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,789 times
Wrx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive