Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 02:47 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,046,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
Now, I fully realize that some people don't give a crap about older cars and only want to drive a fancy new for status purposes, and if that is you, fine it is your money and you have every right to spend it the way you want.

But why drive a new vehicle when you have the means to drive a piece of automotive history. Be bold, be different.

While I like classic cars and have had many, I also like many NEW and NEWER cars and not for status reasons. I would have loved to buy my current car new as I wanted it then, and not for status reasons.

I'd love to custom order a new car, or take European Delivery of a new BMW, as it simply looks like a blast to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 02:56 PM

910 posts, read 1,070,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
^Comparing a modern car to a classic car purchase is really silly

How is it silly. The argument for a new car has no merit because you can add whatever you like to the classic car. The car is just a shell. You can get a brand new, emissions controlled engine in your classic car. Same with the transmission. You can add satellite navigation, a killer sound system, heated and cooled seats. Again, whatever you want. The vehicle will either hold it's value, or appreciate. New cars won't do that, and the main reason is because of all of the cheap plastic that is used in modern vehicles. That plastic simply won't hold up long term, and the biggest problem with cars from the 80's and 90's is it becomes almost impossible to find the plastic parts to restore them. The all steel workhorses from the golden age hold up well, and many companies are making new body parts. Ask a Cadillac guy about those plastic bumper pieces from the 70's.

I am giving the OP an option that he may not have considered.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:02 PM

910 posts, read 1,070,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
While I like classic cars and have had many, I also like many NEW and NEWER cars and not for status reasons. I would have loved to buy my current car new as I wanted it then, and not for status reasons.

I'd love to custom order a new car, or take European Delivery of a new BMW, as it simply looks like a blast to do.
Newer cars are nice, but sadly most won't be worth anything long term, unless you never drive them. The plastic body parts simply degrade too much over time. That is the reason that there are companies that take classic Porche's for example, re-build them using new components, and sell them as a new vehicle. You simply can't replace the all steel bodies. But you are talking about huge price tags.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:09 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,160,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I believe the G-Wagen is one of the exception to the rule. Its a low production vehicle. Most luxury makes don't go any longer than regular cars.
Jag XK ran from 1996 to 2006.
3rd gen Mercedes SL ran from 1972-1989. 4th gen ran from 1989-2002.
1st gen Lexus SC ran from 1991-2000. 2nd gen ran 2001-2010.

Expensive cars are inherently low production.
A decade in production without significant changes is not unusual. The Lexus still had a cassette player!

Last edited by eaton53; 12-21-2016 at 04:29 PM..

Old 12-21-2016, 03:21 PM

9,332 posts, read 6,866,407 times
My grandparents had a totl '16 Lexus LS and the thing screams luxury. Is it sporty? No. It it an older persons car? Yes. But the ride is amazing and nothing beats it for longer trips.

I personally want a used E350 or cls 550 but the Lexus is a better buy and more reliable.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:24 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,046,155 times
Quote:
Newer cars are nice, but sadly most won't be worth anything long term, unless you never drive them. The plastic body parts simply degrade too much over time. That is the reason that there are companies that take classic Porche's for example, re-build them using new components, and sell them as a new vehicle. You simply can't replace the all steel bodies. But you are talking about huge price tags.

I've had 130 cars in 38 years. //www.city-data.com/forum/46268072-post47.html Long term for me is about 5 years. Most cars, including older ones, lasted only a few months to a year or two in the "collection" (I usually had 4-5 cars at any given time) before being rotated out for something else. Seriously. And each car paid for it's replacement when selling, with few exceptions.

My current car, as I said, would have liked to have bought new (retail was $85k in '01), and at 15 years old its plastics are in great shape. I'll probably have it 4-5 more years and they should be fine then, too.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I personally want a used E350 or cls 550 but the Lexus is a better buy and more reliable.
Yeah, but you ain't gonna look like a badass Ray Donovan (drives a CLS on the show) in a Lexus.

My wife likes the CLA because she's a big Ray Donovan fan.
The CLS is too big and the CLA looks just like a CLS that was left in the dryer too long.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:39 PM

9,332 posts, read 6,866,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Yeah, but you ain't gonna look like a badass Ray Donovan (drives a CLS on the show) in a Lexus.

My wife likes the CLA because she's a big Ray Donovan fan.
The CLS is too big and the CLA looks just like a CLS that was left in the dryer too long.
What's a ray Donovan ? You're saying this is too big?

40k buys you a CPO 2-3 year old model with 30k miles. I'll take one of those or a 2015 Hyundai Genesis sedan Ibiza blue and ivory interior. Can get one with 10k miles for 30k.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:56 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
Quote:
To answer the original question, yes and no. If you only care about the nameplate, then go ahead and drop the 40k. If you are looking for a quality vehicle, for the long term, then I would avoid it. 40K can get you a fully restored classic car, with a new engine, transmission, suspension, interior, etc. You can add what ever touches you want to it after purchase, or have them added for you by the builder. You will then own a car that will appreciate in value, as long as you take care of it. After a couple of years, you may be able to sell it for MORE than what you paid for it. The options are endless.

Go to www.gatewayclassiccars.com and take a look at what 40k will buy you. For instance.

1963 Ford Fairlane 302 CID V8 C4 Automatic $26,995. Brand new engine, suspension, transmission, interior, paint, wheels and tires. You can add an air ride suspension for 8k, and still be under the 40k price tag.

Or you can purchase an original land cruiser from the 70's with that money.

Now, I fully realize that some people don't give a crap about older cars and only want to drive a fancy new for status purposes, and if that is you, fine it is your money and you have every right to spend it the way you want.

But why drive a new vehicle when you have the means to drive a piece of automotive history. Be bold, be different.

Only people who don't know squat about cars will give higher status to someone with a newer car over a classic. Why should I care what these "mundanes" think? Note to them: I don't care at all what you think about my old cars.

For me to drop $40K on a car, it will be one that is going UP in value, not down. A good E30 M3 like mine is about $40K now, a good car, not a mint car, mind you. A few years back you could have picked up a decent Testarossa for $40 or more like $50K, but that ship has sailed, good ones are into 6 figures.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
What's a ray Donovan ?

Quote:
You're saying this is too big?
Too big for the wife. She had a C320 4Matic and it was the perfect size. So, this...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive