Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 06:41 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
I have a 2012 Mazda CX-9 (a big 3-row SUV, if you aren't familiar). It has the manual shift gate and I do use it on occasion, but probably not in the way that most people would think. A perfect example is entering my small town where the speed limit drops from 55 to 45 and then to 35 in under one mile. In a vehicle that weighs over 4k pounds, taking my foot off the gas pedal and coasting doesn't slow me down nearly enough. The brakes are the obvious solution, and I do brake to slow down close to 35, but as I go through town I will creep back up to 40+ if I don't ride the brakes OR downshift. So I move the shifter to the manual gate, choose 3rd gear (it's a 6-speed auto) and coast along at 35mph until I exit town and get back to 55mph. But I will admit that I forget what I've done sometimes and there's a 4-way stop in town. If I don't shift back into drive, the car automatically puts itself in 1st and doesn't upshift until I catch it.

Various automotive media sites have tested automatics being shifted manually vs. just letting them shift on their own....and 99% of the time, leaving it in Drive nets the quickest results! If you want to shift gears yourself, get a car with a proper manual transmission (clutch and all).
I agree with that in general street driving, but in drag racing and road racing double clutch manually shifted automatics change gears instantly, something that nobody can do with a manual.

I am not against manuals as I have a six speed in my Mustang because I prefer shifting, but I am not racing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 07:04 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
I modded the Ford AOD 4 speed auto in my V8 RX7 for instant shifts up and down (would bark the tires into every gear, including overdrive when the throttle was used aggressively). Made the car much faster than a manual trans example would be on the track and just as fun on the street. It also made the V8 swap much simpler as there was no worry about fabbing up a clutch system.

I also modded the 2004R 4 speed auto I installed in my kid's '79 Chevy pickup for crisper shifts, and the ability to slapshift when performance driving, so now it has a manual mode as well.

My BMW 740i Sport has the steptronic trans with a higher stall converter and manual shift mode, and yes, in manual mode, it shifts faster and firmer up or down to make passing and playing on twisty backroads more immediate, while having a smooth shifting automatic for cruising and commuting with. Best of both worlds, and the car would not be better served with a pure manual trans. In manual mode you can choose what gear you want to be in to anticipate cornering and the like that in automatic mode it can't do.

The point of a manual mode is to retain the automatic mode that you don't get with a pure manual, while still getting the option of, when you want to, choosing what gear you are in yourself, in anticipation of different conditions that the automatic can't anticipate for you.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:28 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
I have a 2012 Mazda CX-9 (a big 3-row SUV, if you aren't familiar). It has the manual shift gate and I do use it on occasion, but probably not in the way that most people would think. A perfect example is entering my small town where the speed limit drops from 55 to 45 and then to 35 in under one mile. In a vehicle that weighs over 4k pounds, taking my foot off the gas pedal and coasting doesn't slow me down nearly enough. The brakes are the obvious solution, and I do brake to slow down close to 35, but as I go through town I will creep back up to 40+ if I don't ride the brakes OR downshift. So I move the shifter to the manual gate, choose 3rd gear (it's a 6-speed auto) and coast along at 35mph until I exit town and get back to 55mph. But I will admit that I forget what I've done sometimes and there's a 4-way stop in town. If I don't shift back into drive, the car automatically puts itself in 1st and doesn't upshift until I catch it.

Various automotive media sites have tested automatics being shifted manually vs. just letting them shift on their own....and 99% of the time, leaving it in Drive nets the quickest results! If you want to shift gears yourself, get a car with a proper manual transmission (clutch and all).
That's the kind of manual shifting I think I'd use it for. If the manual shift mode worked as smoothly as manual transmission then I could imagine it as auto for average daily driving, especially in stop and go city traffic. Then if on hilly or mountainous regions you could use it for forced down shifts as needed. However, where I live is almost perfectly flat.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:35 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
My van has it, I use it when the engine starts to get loaded (climbing a grade) because the computer is a lethargic shiftier and I'd rather keep the engine in the power band. Similarly, when coming down a steep grade, I'll downshift to try and keep the engine doing most of the braking. Habits from days gone by when you could Easily smoke brakes going down long grades.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:45 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I've had several cars with sport-shift modes on the Automatic.

Other than trying it out a couple of times, I never use it. It just doesn't compare as I also own a car with three pedals.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:55 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Most automatics are not very engaging to shift. I rented a Camry that had a shiftable automatic. It has a detent off to the side for the gearshift lever and you nudge it up or down. When you do, it feels like it's summoning a committee to explore the possibility of shifting for you. It will do it eventually, but you don't feel like it added to your involvement.
I have that same type in my car. I rarely use it. It's great driving in the mountains and I want to actually want to keep my RPMs up from corner to corner but for general driving I just do automatic. Sounds like my car will do the "manual" shifts quicker than yours but it's still not very fast. Plus downshifting can be rough. With my dad's car I can gently take the clutch out. With this? Nope, prepare for a sudden slow down.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:05 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Looks like all the serious road racers are jumping on the double clutch automatics for the quickest lap times.
Maybe not as fun but low laps times are the goal.
The Mustang GT350R is going to offer a double clutch option in the near future.
Oh i agree. If one is looking for quick lap times in a dual clutch automatic, then using the paddles makes sense. For me on daily drives, I'm not looking for lap times or an engaging drive. I had a manual Passat for 10 years prior to this Passat and 99% of the time, I was just driving.

I do know of one person who has be "rowing his own automatic" for about 15 years. I didn't get the appeal.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:56 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
I own a manual but drive the wife's automatic and rentals and such on occasion. I do find myself manually shifting them pretty often when I just get frustrated with how stupid it is being. Not 0-60 situations. More like when wanting to maintain speed on a hill without riding the brakes. Preselecting a gear for an overtake. Selecting proper gear to accelerate out of a turn. That sort of stuff.

Don't need a fancy flappy paddle equipped auto to do it either. Can accomplish the same thing with a plain ol D-4-3-2-L selector.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:06 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,379,498 times
I use it in my truck when driving in snowy weather....IMO have better control especially on down hill slopes

Old 12-21-2016, 09:54 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Why would anyone want to shift an automatic? Play race car driver?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I modded the Ford AOD 4 speed auto in my V8 RX7 for instant shifts up and down (would bark the tires into every gear, including overdrive when the throttle was used aggressively). Made the car much faster than a manual trans example would be on the track and just as fun on the street. It also made the V8 swap much simpler as there was no worry about fabbing up a clutch system.

I also modded the 2004R 4 speed auto I installed in my kid's '79 Chevy pickup for crisper shifts, and the ability to slapshift when performance driving, so now it has a manual mode as well.

My BMW 740i Sport has the steptronic trans with a higher stall converter and manual shift mode, and yes, in manual mode, it shifts faster and firmer up or down to make passing and playing on twisty backroads more immediate, while having a smooth shifting automatic for cruising and commuting with. Best of both worlds, and the car would not be better served with a pure manual trans. In manual mode you can choose what gear you want to be in to anticipate cornering and the like that in automatic mode it can't do.

The point of a manual mode is to retain the automatic mode that you don't get with a pure manual, while still getting the option of, when you want to, choosing what gear you are in yourself, in anticipation of different conditions that the automatic can't anticipate for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
My van has it, I use it when the engine starts to get loaded (climbing a grade) because the computer is a lethargic shiftier and I'd rather keep the engine in the power band. Similarly, when coming down a steep grade, I'll downshift to try and keep the engine doing most of the braking. Habits from days gone by when you could Easily smoke brakes going down long grades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I use it in my truck when driving in snowy weather....IMO have better control especially on down hill slopes
read these responses froglipz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive