Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 01:43 PM

603 posts, read 442,904 times

Advertisements

I couldn’t remember what it was but I knew it was plenty ..most valuable car I’ve e ever seen actually driven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 02:18 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Saw a recent model Bentley, with some sort of semi-flat paint, all done up in brown, pull out of another parking lot here at work. I'm not that much a fan of the semi-flat paint, I figure it will be hard to maintain, and of course you can't buff out any scratch.

A cool car, but for the money, I would have bought something else. I'm just not Bentley's target demographic - although I am a senior guy - I'd rather have a Testarossa or similar.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:52 AM

574 posts, read 382,791 times
I did see a kei car mini truck in someones property while running errands today. Granted, it didn't have plates in the rear so I'm assuming that it is used for yard work and such. As far as im aware, here in NY you can't drive them legally on the streets

Old 04-17-2019, 06:55 AM

574 posts, read 382,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Saw a recent model Bentley, with some sort of semi-flat paint, all done up in brown, pull out of another parking lot here at work. I'm not that much a fan of the semi-flat paint, I figure it will be hard to maintain, and of course you can't buff out any scratch.

A cool car, but for the money, I would have bought something else. I'm just not Bentley's target demographic - although I am a senior guy - I'd rather have a Testarossa or similar.
You can get some older RRs and Bentleys for the price of a somewhat loaded new Toyota Camry. My dad bought a Bentley Arnage for roughly that price. The only issue is that they tend to cost a lot of money for maintenance and repairs if you drive it a fair amount. My dads has been reasonable, granted he only drives it on Saturdays in the summer.

Great Value if you'll put up with the crap that the car can throw at you

Old 04-17-2019, 03:08 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,740,642 times
Well, $27.5M -- I'll never have that problem about how to spend that kind of money.

Yesterday morning, another black 991 Targa in San Carlos CA, on Holly Street. It was brand new, with the Carlsen Porsche dealer logo in place of the license plate (I guess they're calling themselves Porsche Redwood City now; Carlsen Porsche Is Now | Porsche Redwood City | carlsenporsche.com‎)

My intrigue with the Porsche 911 Targa continues -- the new targa (type 991; gImages here -- https://goo.gl/TkCSCm). According to my notes here are the ones I have seen since August 2014:

- 4/16/2019: black new 991 Targa in San Carlos CA on Holly St., still had the Carlsen Porsche "plate"
- 3/20/2019: gray 991 Targa, driving north on US-101 in the AM commute, remained on 101 from Menlo Park until I exited in San Carlos CA
- 11/10/2018: Porsche 991 Targa; I did not record color or location
- 6/18/2018: blue targa, in San Carlos CA, parked next to a 1920 REO Speed Wagon
- 6/06/2017: black targa, with black CA license plates, in San Francisco
- 3/15/2017: light blue targa in Palo Alto CA
- 10/01/2016: light tan targa in San Jose CA
- 9/18/2016: black targa, on CA-85 northbound in San Jose CA, my 2nd in the wild
- 9/05/2016: red targa driving southbound on US-97 near Klamath Falls OR, my 1st in 'the wild'; it was a bright, sunny day, the targa top was off, and the couple inside were enjoying the drive; I was driving back home from Crater Lake with my wife
Not in 'the wild' --
- 5/12/2016: black targa in Redwood City CA, 2nd ever, at a specialty car sales place so not in the wild
- 8/16/2014: at a Porsche display model at the 2014 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance -- first-ever seen

Old 04-17-2019, 03:29 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyingmagpie View Post
You can get some older RRs and Bentleys for the price of a somewhat loaded new Toyota Camry. My dad bought a Bentley Arnage for roughly that price. The only issue is that they tend to cost a lot of money for maintenance and repairs if you drive it a fair amount. My dads has been reasonable, granted he only drives it on Saturdays in the summer.

Great Value if you'll put up with the crap that the car can throw at you

Like the situation with 7 to 12 year old German cars, but on steroids. At least some RR cars have a very expensive brake system, costs well into 4 figures for the parts to just do an ordinary brake pad/shoe replacement. And the hell of it is, that brake system is not as reliable as a regular hydraulic brake system. Sunsprit has posted up about working on these. I mean, if you are doing brakes on a high end Porsche, an M-car, or Ferrari, the parts are made to a very high spec, and in limited numbers, so, yeah, they cost more. But the RR system seems to be expensive just for the sake of being expensive.

This particular Bentley, while I didn't get a really good look at it, I'm going to say was 5 or less years old. A 2-door coupe. It may be the same car I saw out on a country road on my way into work, passing a car coming towards me, I was surprised at how that Bentley moved out.

The difference in the deal on a used RR or Bentley vs a new loaded Camry: If you buy a new Camry, you pay just for gas and tires, the first several years of oil changes even are on the house. And in the unlikely event something breaks, it gets fixed under warranty.

While with the used Brit car, the initial purchase price is probably the biggest expense, but by far not the only expense, of the ownership experience.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Like the situation with 7 to 12 year old German cars, but on steroids. At least some RR cars have a very expensive brake system, costs well into 4 figures for the parts to just do an ordinary brake pad/shoe replacement. And the hell of it is, that brake system is not as reliable as a regular hydraulic brake system. Sunsprit has posted up about working on these. I mean, if you are doing brakes on a high end Porsche, an M-car, or Ferrari, the parts are made to a very high spec, and in limited numbers, so, yeah, they cost more. But the RR system seems to be expensive just for the sake of being expensive.

This particular Bentley, while I didn't get a really good look at it, I'm going to say was 5 or less years old. A 2-door coupe. It may be the same car I saw out on a country road on my way into work, passing a car coming towards me, I was surprised at how that Bentley moved out.

The difference in the deal on a used RR or Bentley vs a new loaded Camry: If you buy a new Camry, you pay just for gas and tires, the first several years of oil changes even are on the house. And in the unlikely event something breaks, it gets fixed under warranty.

While with the used Brit car, the initial purchase price is probably the biggest expense, but by far not the only expense, of the ownership experience.
I’d estimate about 5% of the original sticker price of the car per year for maintenance. Of course all bets are off once you get to S series cars from the 50’s and 60’s but most shadow/SZ/arnage era cars are quite ok to keep going once you can grasp the hydraulic system requires constant maintaining. I’ve got a couple of cars from that era and honestly I’ve had no nasty surprises. I’d consider picking up a current shape Mulsanne if the price was right and I’ve actively chased a couple of Brooklands coupes without success yet but I’m looking. I’m not a big fan of the BMW RR’s or Volkswagen based Bentleys although the new Phantom is incredible to drive.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
Well, $27.5M -- I'll never have that problem about how to spend that kind of money.

Yesterday morning, another black 991 Targa in San Carlos CA, on Holly Street. It was brand new, with the Carlsen Porsche dealer logo in place of the license plate (I guess they're calling themselves Porsche Redwood City now; Carlsen Porsche Is Now | Porsche Redwood City | carlsenporsche.com‎)

My intrigue with the Porsche 911 Targa continues -- the new targa (type 991; gImages here -- https://goo.gl/TkCSCm). According to my notes here are the ones I have seen since August 2014:

- 4/16/2019: black new 991 Targa in San Carlos CA on Holly St., still had the Carlsen Porsche "plate"
- 3/20/2019: gray 991 Targa, driving north on US-101 in the AM commute, remained on 101 from Menlo Park until I exited in San Carlos CA
- 11/10/2018: Porsche 991 Targa; I did not record color or location
- 6/18/2018: blue targa, in San Carlos CA, parked next to a 1920 REO Speed Wagon
- 6/06/2017: black targa, with black CA license plates, in San Francisco
- 3/15/2017: light blue targa in Palo Alto CA
- 10/01/2016: light tan targa in San Jose CA
- 9/18/2016: black targa, on CA-85 northbound in San Jose CA, my 2nd in the wild
- 9/05/2016: red targa driving southbound on US-97 near Klamath Falls OR, my 1st in 'the wild'; it was a bright, sunny day, the targa top was off, and the couple inside were enjoying the drive; I was driving back home from Crater Lake with my wife
Not in 'the wild' --
- 5/12/2016: black targa in Redwood City CA, 2nd ever, at a specialty car sales place so not in the wild
- 8/16/2014: at a Porsche display model at the 2014 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance -- first-ever seen
Hmmmm ... why don’t you get one ? A 991.1 targa is quite achievable.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:36 AM

2,345 posts, read 1,740,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
Hmmmm ... why don’t you get one ? A 991.1 targa is quite achievable.
I know, I know... maybe...

Old 04-18-2019, 04:31 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Just saw a Delorean with CT plates on the highway in central CT. I have never seen one in real life. I bet the guy gets lots of questions every time he stops somewhere.

This was the Delorean from the movie back to the future. Not the Delorean, but one of the production models I'd have to assume.

Jay Lenos garage had a Delorean on one episode. What was funny about that episode was the first Delorean broke down - and they brought in a back up Delorean to continue filming the episode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive