Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 10:01 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I sw a Mercedes really pathetic attempt to imitate a jeep. I do not know what it was, but it looked like a really ugly/ungainly jeep without the benefits of a jeep (it had poor ground clearance, did not appear to have unlockable suspension and did nto appear to be 4x4, also appeared to have a lawn mower engine the way the guy was driving. Basically a costly grocery getter made to look like a jeep only really out of balance, ungainly, and ugly looking). I think it said G 560 on it. It also drove 10 mph below the speed limit and kept stopping for no reason(maybe it is manual and the driver did not know how to drive it). One of the stupidest cars ever imo because it probably costs $50,000 and it is nothing but a poor imitation of a jeep that costs 435,000 or less.

Did I mention I hated the thing? And not jut because the idiot driver made me late.
A G-Wagen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 10:29 AM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
I sw a Mercedes really pathetic attempt to imitate a jeep. I do not know what it was, but it looked like a really ugly/ungainly jeep without the benefits of a jeep (it had poor ground clearance, did not appear to have unlockable suspension and did nto appear to be 4x4, also appeared to have a lawn mower engine the way the guy was driving. Basically a costly grocery getter made to look like a jeep only really out of balance, ungainly, and ugly looking). I think it said G 560 on it. It also drove 10 mph below the speed limit and kept stopping for no reason(maybe it is manual and the driver did not know how to drive it). One of the stupidest cars ever imo because it probably costs $50,000 and it is nothing but a poor imitation of a jeep that costs 435,000 or less.

Did I mention I hated the thing? And not jut because the idiot driver made me late.
Imitate a Jeep??? It’s always had 4 doors, when did Jeep put 4 doors on a Wrangler???? Who’s imitating who now if you want to play that stupid game? These G wagons hold their value a ton, my MB dealer has a 2002 for around $40k. They throw a V12 twin turbo in the G65 too, only has 600+hp, a tad bit more then a lawn mower Never mind these two G’s they make.
Attached Thumbnails
What Interesting Car Did You See on the Road Today?-56a1f6a6-372d-497a-90dc-1cb7e048171e.jpeg   What Interesting Car Did You See on the Road Today?-b0458e63-33b3-46c4-b3ab-7ab5c9c55ab1.jpeg  

Last edited by wamer27; 11-12-2017 at 11:21 AM..

Old 11-12-2017, 10:25 PM

2,340 posts, read 1,735,214 times
Before seeing any G-wagens here in the USA I first saw them in Europe as military trucks, in matte-finish olive drab, or in camouflage. Very cool. They weren’t sold in the US, but soon after there was an outfit, maybe a dealership but I’m not certain, who independently imported them. I think they were in New Mexico or somewhere in the south west.

IIRC.

And then M-B started selling them here. They were very exotic, very expensive, and pretty cool. But I’ve always wanted a Jeep, and I finally got one, a new diesel Grand Cherokee, and I’m a very happy owner.

So...

The other day I saw a right-hand drive Anglia 1200. Its California plates were pretty cool: 1 ANGLIA.

Last edited by echo7tango; 09-14-2019 at 07:17 AM..

Old 11-12-2017, 11:07 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Saw a red De Tomaso Pantera (1970s vintage).

Like this:

https://cdn1.mecum.com/auctions/pj06...?1466030971000

Old 11-13-2017, 06:20 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
I really don't know what it was. Some kind of a wide, low, 2 seat, convertible go-fast snarling monster.
I never got to where I could see the name on the back of it. I'm thinking Maserati or Lamborghini or some such thing.
Fun to see, but nothing I would want.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:44 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Imitate a Jeep??? It’s always had 4 doors, when did Jeep put 4 doors on a Wrangler???? Who’s imitating who now if you want to play that stupid game? These G wagons hold their value a ton, my MB dealer has a 2002 for around $40k. They throw a V12 twin turbo in the G65 too, only has 600+hp, a tad bit more then a lawn mower Never mind these two G’s they make.
But it is completely stupid. It is not a performance vehicle, not an off road vehicle, not a luxury vehicle, not a truck, it does not seem to have any purpose at all. It does not have enough clearance for anything but paved roads. The one I saw did not appear to be 4x4. There is no way to look at that thing and see anything but a failed attempt to copy Jeep for people who want to spend a lot of money thinking it will make them look cool. I finally found it online and they said it was horribly uncomfortable. Then I discovered the thing costs $200,000!. There are probably 50 better cars for that price or less.

What is really is, is a rival for is the stupidity that was the later version of the Hummer only more expensive. A $200,000 - ugly or stupid looking (depends on your view point) vehicle that serves no purpose whatsoever other than bringing home groceries from Kroger. While it may be faster off the line than a Hummer, it costs considerably more. There is no fixing stupid.

He drove it like it had a lawn mower engine in it. 10 mph under the speed limit and kept stopping every few hundred feet. Maybe he was afraid of getting it dirty.

Back to he original thread question, I saw an Aston Martin today. They are rare around here. I do not know which model it was. I also saw one of our local Ford GTs. This weekend I saw a 21 window vw microbus - that are pretty rare, around here I doubt there is another one. They are awful vehicles for cold weather.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:19 AM

8,326 posts, read 6,419,063 times
21 window VW busses are now valuable collectors cars. Not to me.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:25 PM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
But it is completely stupid. It is not a performance vehicle, not an off road vehicle, not a luxury vehicle, not a truck, it does not seem to have any purpose at all. It does not have enough clearance for anything but paved roads. The one I saw did not appear to be 4x4. There is no way to look at that thing and see anything but a failed attempt to copy Jeep for people who want to spend a lot of money thinking it will make them look cool. I finally found it online and they said it was horribly uncomfortable. Then I discovered the thing costs $200,000!. There are probably 50 better cars for that price or less.

What is really is, is a rival for is the stupidity that was the later version of the Hummer only more expensive. A $200,000 - ugly or stupid looking (depends on your view point) vehicle that serves no purpose whatsoever other than bringing home groceries from Kroger. While it may be faster off the line than a Hummer, it costs considerably more. There is no fixing stupid.

He drove it like it had a lawn mower engine in it. 10 mph under the speed limit and kept stopping every few hundred feet. Maybe he was afraid of getting it dirty.

Back to he original thread question, I saw an Aston Martin today. They are rare around here. I do not know which model it was. I also saw one of our local Ford GTs. This weekend I saw a 21 window vw microbus - that are pretty rare, around here I doubt there is another one. They are awful vehicles for cold weather.
Learning 101 for you today.

https://youtu.be/TEenRvuhN9Y

Old 11-13-2017, 06:05 PM

143 posts, read 217,719 times
Saw an early 2000's rusty Nissan Quest minivan on the road today. Reminded me of the 2002 Quest I inherited from my grandmother and drove it to 175,000 miles when I finally traded it in for a new car. I was shocked when the dealer was willing to take it off my hands for $1100 when I was willing to sell it for $500. I saw it posted on a junkyards website the other day.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:37 AM

2,340 posts, read 1,735,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Learning 101 for you today.

https://youtu.be/TEenRvuhN9Y
Truly amazing. Thanks for this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive