Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 07:59 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,561,453 times

Advertisements

Unless I do something that abuses the transmission, like heavy towing over mountains, I have transmission service on a 50,000 mile schedule. Notice I say SERVICE. A real transmission shop or the dealer needs to put the transmission on a computer and check the operation of the relays and solenoids through a full range of operation. Like engine problems, it's always cheaper to fix it than replace it after it blows up. The transmission also gets a full flush, not just a fluid change, and new filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 08:59 AM

7,048 posts, read 9,008,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Are there people who never change the transmission fluid? Yes, of course. Can they get to 175,000 miles? Some do.
I have a Jeep Cherokee Sport, auto trans, with 251,000 on the clock. Never had ATF change or flush. In fact, in more than 40 years of driving and working on cars I have never done that, and have never seen a need for it. Most of my vehicles have come to me 'used', often 'well used' and occasionally nearly 'used up'. I have never seen in any of the manuals for them, any requirement to change tranny fluid. I have always viewed tranny fluid change/flush as a gimmick that shops push on suckers.

I have rarely had auto trans failure problems, except for 'slipping' due to low fluid from a leak. My first car would only go in low gear, but I bought it that way, and a used trans from a junkyard cost me $35, and I put it in myself...well, with the help of a couple of friends too (but that was a 1962 Chevy with the 2-speed, cast-iron 'Powerglide' tranny, somewhere around 1975, LOL, I'm sure it would cost a bit more these days).

I've had more failures with manual trannies- like 5th and reverse suddenly dropping out of a Mazda GLC while tootling down the highway...continued on in 4th gear, didn't realize Rev was gone too until after it was parked, and then trying to back up .

Some of the newer trannies, with 5-9 speeds and/or other more modern/technical wizardry? I don't know, maybe...I'm not 'up' on the more recent technical advances of auto-trannies.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:10 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,862,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I have a Jeep Cherokee Sport, auto trans, with 251,000 on the clock. Never had ATF change or flush. In fact, in more than 40 years of driving and working on cars I have never done that, and have never seen a need for it. Most of my vehicles have come to me 'used', often 'well used' and occasionally nearly 'used up'. I have never seen in any of the manuals for them, any requirement to change tranny fluid. I have always viewed tranny fluid change/flush as a gimmick that shops push on suckers.

I have rarely had auto trans failure problems, except for 'slipping' due to low fluid from a leak. My first car would only go in low gear, but I bought it that way, and a used trans from a junkyard cost me $35, and I put it in myself...well, with the help of a couple of friends too (but that was a 1962 Chevy with the 2-speed, cast-iron 'Powerglide' tranny, somewhere around 1975, LOL, I'm sure it would cost a bit more these days).

I've had more failures with manual trannies- like 5th and reverse suddenly dropping out of a Mazda GLC while tootling down the highway...continued on in 4th gear, didn't realize Rev was gone too until after it was parked, and then trying to back up .

Some of the newer trannies, with 5-9 speeds and/or other more modern/technical wizardry? I don't know, maybe...I'm not 'up' on the more recent technical advances of auto-trannies.
Get a used Honda and you will definitely experience trans failure.

" I have always viewed tranny fluid change/flush as a gimmick that shops push on suckers."

Well the opposite is true with some of these newer cars. As you have seen from other posts, dealership is telling customer there is no need to service the "lifetime" ATF. The key is there is no definite on what "lifetime" means. So if you have a car with an auto ZF trans, dealership may tell you that you don't need ATF change because it's lifetime, but look at what ZF has published. Auto trans oil change is recommended between 80km and 120km

https://www.zf.com/global/media/en_z...s/TE-ML_11.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive