Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 11:51 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I drive 80-100 miles a day, and over 80% of that is steady highway driving. 20% would be stop and go city driving, but not that bad. I've heard hybrids really pay off in city driving.

So what would be the most economical car for me in terms of highway driving? I buy cars, not lease, and like to keep cars AT LEAST 10 years.

A friend suggested diesel cars but I'm not too familiar with them -seems like Europeans are more used to diesel. Although this friend just bought a Dodge Ram 1500 with the Ecodiesel which has like a 700 mile range and good fuel economy for a large truck.

Are diesel cars better for fuel economy on the highway in my case? What happened to the Chevy Cruze diesel? Will they have a diesel engine option for the 2017 Cruze? VW seems to make diesel cars but their reliability is not very promising for my car lasting 10 years or more. What other cars should I look at? Or are regular gas engine cars like a Corolla, Elantra, Civic better for me?

Again, i drive around 80-100 miles a day and can easily put over 220k miles in 10 years.
For a hybrid; the electric motors turn off at 45mph, and it's strictly a gasser, this is why their city mpg is higher than their hwy mpg, unlike normal cars. So lots of highway travel...diesel or basically an everyday gasser wieghed down by batteries and an electric motor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 12:05 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I still say good hybrid because diesel doesn't save gas, it simply gives more miles per gallon. Hybrids will conserve gas in all kind of situations that diesels can't. Just running the car diesel is burning fuel. In the long run, hybrids win because the engine lasts longer as it shares duty with a electric motor. Brakes last longer since Prius have regenerative brakes. So overall you'll save more money owning a hybrid.
Electric motors in hybrids are not active past 45mph

More miles per gallon is the point.

Regenerate braking does not save brakes, it uses them to charge batteries

Old 12-23-2016, 07:01 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
Be a nationalist(US), I would usually recommend the Cruze. However, IMO, the European diesel automakers are leading in quality in diesel engineering. One problem the European automakers overcame in small diesels is the spray patterns of the tiny injectors. While I like Chevy motors, I wonder if they have smoothed out many the kinks like the Europeans have.
The LUZ diesel used in the Cruze is assembled in Kaiserslautern, Germany. It is a European engine.

Quote:
Diesels are usually louder than gas.
You hear it if you're standing outside the car. Inside, not much.
Go through a drive thru and you can really hear it. We've been asked "Is that a diesel?" at drive throughs.
GM doesn't market it, so most people don't know it exists.

I go to a lot of cruise ins and I've told the wife that since it's a rare car, park it next to me and put the hood up.
I have a set diesel badges on it from the Australian Cruze, so it's obvious what it is.
A lot of classic car guys also have diesel trucks. Many of them check it out.

Last edited by eaton53; 12-23-2016 at 08:13 AM..

Old 12-23-2016, 08:01 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Electric/hybrid cars are a great idea for the environment, but they are not quite there yet. When you factor in the high cost of repairs as they age, a diesel makes better economic sense. People who buy a Prius type car are going to get sticker shock when those babies get some miles on them.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:39 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I drive 80-100 miles a day, and over 80% of that is steady highway driving. 20% would be stop and go city driving, but not that bad. I've heard hybrids really pay off in city driving.

So what would be the most economical car for me in terms of highway driving? I buy cars, not lease, and like to keep cars AT LEAST 10 years.

A friend suggested diesel cars but I'm not too familiar with them -seems like Europeans are more used to diesel. Although this friend just bought a Dodge Ram 1500 with the Ecodiesel which has like a 700 mile range and good fuel economy for a large truck.

Are diesel cars better for fuel economy on the highway in my case? What happened to the Chevy Cruze diesel? Will they have a diesel engine option for the 2017 Cruze? VW seems to make diesel cars but their reliability is not very promising for my car lasting 10 years or more. What other cars should I look at? Or are regular gas engine cars like a Corolla, Elantra, Civic better for me?

Again, i drive around 80-100 miles a day and can easily put over 220k miles in 10 years.
I can't speak for other brands but I love Toyota's hybrid system. Their Camry hybrid has power assist on the highway and local driving from the battery/electric motor. You are in a part of the country where 50+ degree days are common. That's where the hybrid excels.

As you consider a diesel, remember that diesel fuel is almost always more expensive than 87 octane gas. As you consider a hybrid, remember that you may need to replace the hybrid battery at some point. One thing that I can say about Toyota's batteries is that they are excellent. The one in my RAV 4 lasted 11 years.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:42 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Toyota's electric assist is there at any speed.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:57 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
As you consider a diesel, remember that diesel fuel is almost always more expensive than 87 octane gas.

Are EPA tests run using Corn Gas? My gas mileage is noticeably lower when I use it.
No Corn gas is actually more expensive than diesel here.
In exchange for a possibly little higher fuel cost you get this:

Prius torque: 105 lb/ft
Cruze torque: 264 lb/ft

Not a small difference. This is why people like diesels.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:10 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:

It does save brakes, I've been on Priuschat forum for over 8 years and it has reduced brake wear while charging battery and article below confirms it.

NY Times Article: Toyota Prius

"How about 100,000 miles between brake pads replacement? The Prius only uses its brake pads for panic stops and stopping under 7 miles per hour. All other braking is done electromagnetically, using the regeneration of electricity to both stop the car and charge the batteries. A win/win situation."

Prius Electric motor is constantly active regardless of speed, it depends on engine speed. Any Prius owner will see that the minute you let you foot off the gas the electric motor kicks in.

More miles per gallon when driving, diesel doesn't save gas. It's not a gas saving tech. Hybrid saves gas by preventing gas use.

You can go only max gas mileage while continous driving with diesel. It doesn't factor the car on stops and loss of energy on braking. Diesel is no longer viable in the US. Just look at where it is today.

You are obviously not technical enough to know the distinction.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:54 PM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Prius is 58/53 for the new one. You're really not going to beat that for fuel economy on the highway with a diesel. Downside is it's slow as a snail. Cruze diesel will do everything else better aside from cargo room and probably reliability. It's normal slow economy car performance, normal economy car handling and ride quality, normal economy car fit and finish. The Prius really only does reliability and gas mileage and practicality. It's a cheapskates car which is why I have one.

Last edited by Malloric; 12-23-2016 at 02:06 PM..

Old 12-23-2016, 02:03 PM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:

1) Generally yes, they are. The Prius will (usually) not run without the gas engine OFF above 45 -- exception, coasting downhill. The electric motor is still definitely active though. It may not be contributing much of the power at a constant 65 mph but climbing a hill you'll definitely notice when you run out of battery at 65.

2) Regenerative braking absolutely saves brakes. I rarely use friction brakes. 55,00 miles so far and I've got 75% left on the front pads if not more. They'll basically last the lifetime of the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive