Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 12:46 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Volts are pure EVs for 53 miles, then the range extender kicks in and provides another 367 miles range.
This is the very definition of a range extended electric vehicle.

Chevrolet Volt: Range-Extended Electric Car Ultimate Guide
You didn't read the post that I quoted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
There have been some that used the combustion motor only for charging the battery or for indirectly driving the vehicle, through the electric motor, but not connected mechanically to the powertrain.
Those are not mainstream (the i3 comes the closest). The Volt does NOT fit this... the Volt is a full hybrid electric vehicle. The ICE drives the powertrain at times. It's not simply an electric vehicle that gets additional range from an ICE acting as a generator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 12:56 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
You didn't read the post that I quoted:

Those are not mainstream (the i3 comes the closest). The Volt does NOT fit this... the Volt is a full hybrid electric vehicle. The ICE drives the powertrain at times. It's not simply an electric vehicle that gets additional range from an ICE acting as a generator.
The Volt is a pure EV for 53 miles. When the Volt is in EV mode the engine is never connected to the drive wheels.
The engine provides torque in two of the three range extending modes.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...c-hybrid-modes

Last edited by eaton53; 12-25-2016 at 01:09 PM..

Old 12-25-2016, 01:04 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
What are you talking about?
The Volt is a pure EV for 53 miles. Drive is handled exclusively by the electric motor.
I'm not sure how familiar you are with cars, but the Volt is a hybrid electric vehicle. The fact that it can only run in EV mode for the first 53 miles (just like certain models of the Prius that can run in EV mode for the first 22 miles) and then relies on the engine to assist with the powertrain (i.e. propel the vehicle), makes it a hybrid vehicle. This is different than the BMW i3 which only uses the electric motor to propel the vehicle. The BMW is a true range extended EV.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:21 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
I'm not sure how familiar you are with cars, but the Volt is a hybrid electric vehicle. The fact that it can only run in EV mode for the first 53 miles (just like certain models of the Prius that can run in EV mode for the first 22 miles) and then relies on the engine to assist with the powertrain (i.e. propel the vehicle), makes it a hybrid vehicle. This is different than the BMW i3 which only uses the electric motor to propel the vehicle. The BMW is a true range extended EV.
As soon as you floor a Prius the engine will kick on even with a charged battery. It's always a hybrid.

Green Car Reports titled their article "Chevy Volt - Range Extended Electric Car Ultimate Guide".
I think Green Car Reports knows more than you and they agree with me.
Actually, let's take it a step further. Go here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_extender_(vehicle)

Anyone can edit it, so go on in there and delete the Volt from this article.
I predict your level of expertise in this area will be challenged very quickly.

Last edited by eaton53; 12-25-2016 at 01:58 PM..

Old 12-26-2016, 06:24 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I see these Neverending diesel vs hybrid battles, it is always down to math and the real world math always favors hybrids in the long run. Diesels are perfect for trucks and trains, heavy loads there's no question.

When you compare a compact hybrid vs same diesel car and hybrids overall gas savings and energy return gets better and better. Diesel cars in mix driving situations always get very mix mpg that even gas cars can get these days. We can argue all day but diesel is dead here.
These arguments favoring gasoline-hybrids tend to ignore a number of factors: 1) diesel engine vehicles depreciate slower than conventional gas engines or gas-hybrid power plants. 2) diesel engines last longer. 3) if properly maintained, costs for maintenance and repairs are not higher than for gas engines.

So total cost of ownership is very favorable for diesel power plants: depreciation, fuel, maintenance and repairs. Insurance is about the same for each power plant option.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:06 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
These arguments favoring gasoline-hybrids tend to ignore a number of factors: 1) diesel engine vehicles depreciate slower than conventional gas engines or gas-hybrid power plants. 2) diesel engines last longer. 3) if properly maintained, costs for maintenance and repairs are not higher than for gas engines.

So total cost of ownership is very favorable for diesel power plants: depreciation, fuel, maintenance and repairs. Insurance is about the same for each power plant option.
Same kind of goes for hybrids but it really just depends on the price of gasoline. When I bought my hybrid, gas was high and the resale values were out of this world. I was looking at four-year-old cars with 100,000 miles that were selling for about 68% of what I paid brand new, and that's after I waived the $1,500 on the hood for five years at 0%. Those were the needles in the haystack. Now I'd have trouble selling mine for that much and it's 2 1/2 years old with 60,000 miles. Still not terrible depreciation but not that great either.

Maintenance is a bit more complicated. There's the battery issues, but the failure rate on 12-year-old cars is less than 5% so it's pretty unlikely. It's an added expensive. Otherwise there's no real maintenance to the hybrid systems. Similarly, diesels are more expensive. The other issue with cars is there's all the smog garbage I'd worry about. Probably looking at around $2,000-$3,000 based on VW dieselgate and estimates on what it would cost to fix the diesel VWs... the other problem being the reduced performance. Given, that's trying to put a band-aid on a diesel engine that was never intended to be able to pass US smog requirements. I've been in the new 320d BMWs and they're not slouches. Not very exciting but not as slow as you might think a diesel would be.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:58 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Toyota's electric assist is there at any speed.
Assist. Not run on by itself.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It does save brakes, I've been on Priuschat forum for over 8 years and it has reduced brake wear while charging battery and article below confirms it.

NY Times Article: Toyota Prius

"How about 100,000 miles between brake pads replacement? The Prius only uses its brake pads for panic stops and stopping under 7 miles per hour. All other braking is done electromagnetically, using the regeneration of electricity to both stop the car and charge the batteries. A win/win situation."

Prius Electric motor is constantly active regardless of speed, it depends on engine speed. Any Prius owner will see that the minute you let you foot off the gas the electric motor kicks in.

More miles per gallon when driving, diesel doesn't save gas. It's not a gas saving tech. Hybrid saves gas by preventing gas use.

You can go only max gas mileage while continous driving with diesel. It doesn't factor the car on stops and loss of energy on braking. Diesel is no longer viable in the US. Just look at where it is today.

You are obviously not technical enough to know the distinction.
You obviously missed my point when I said a diesel is not for "saving gas," whatever that means, it just gets better mileage on the highway. It can go longer between fill-ups, so effing duh max mileage is with continuous driving. Whilst you're on your Personal attack bullspit, I don't keep up with hybrids, the only one I know that uses it's electric motors at almost any speed is the 918. Diesel wasn't invented for economy, it's just used for it...now. I believe is very well is still viable as a fuel source...if you expand past penny pinching.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
You should consider learning about how hybrids work before participating in a discussion about them.

The electric motor is most certainly active past 45mph. It continuously aids the ICE while accelerating and charges the battery when decelerating.

Regenerate braking saves the brakepads from wearing down as fast as on traditional cars because regenerative breaking does all the heavy lifting.
Naw, I think I'll do as I see fit. I know/knew how they work ir used to work. Sorry I'm not dying to know how they work and keep up with their technology. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. I honestly don't really care for them that much, and the only one I sort of like is the Volt, seeing I drew out the same idea, way back when the Insight was new.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
there is a type of hybrid that you need to consider over diesel.

The chevy volt and others fall into this category. A hybrid where the engine is only responsible for charging the battery and not for driving the car. This type of hybrid should give you fantastic range as well as great fuel economy.

There is a clear distinction between this type of hybrid and a toyota prius where the gas engine drives the car.
The Volts engine is connected to a generator that powers the motors and charge batteries, the engine doesn't even need to idle high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive