Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: EPS vs HPS -which is better
EPS 16 38.10%
HPS 26 61.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 06:04 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,231,409 times

Advertisements

It seems that everyone and every reviewer is so keen on bashing the EPS system. Words like numb, vague, no feel etc are all too commonly associated with EPS.

But having recently driven a entry level vehicle (Elantra) with EPS I found it far superior to every hydraulic system I've ever used. The steering is simply lighter and more precise. Making driving easier, safer and less stressful. Also EPS responds better to inputs, when steering is turned the response is more direct and precise.

If anything I'd say the average hydraulic setup is actually far more "vague" as the steering feels mushy, sloppy and to top it all off feels very heavy, which is a pain, especially when parking!

Another added benefit was that you can change the level of assistance by choosing either comfort, normal or sports. With sports being heavy, but still more precise than the hydraulic type of heavy which feels more sloppy heavy.

So for all those people who've experienced both EPS & HPS, what is your general opinion of the systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 06:15 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
It seems that everyone and every reviewer is so keen on bashing the EPS system. Words like numb, vague, no feel etc are all too commonly associated with EPS.

But having recently driven a entry level vehicle (Elantra) with EPS I found it far superior to every hydraulic system I've ever used. The steering is simply lighter and more precise. Making driving easier, safer and less stressful. Also EPS responds better to inputs, when steering is turned the response is more direct and precise.

If anything I'd say the average hydraulic setup is actually far more "vague" as the steering feels mushy, sloppy and to top it all off feels very heavy, which is a pain, especially when parking!

Another added benefit was that you can change the level of assistance by choosing either comfort, normal or sports. With sports being heavy, but still more precise than the hydraulic type of heavy which feels more sloppy heavy.

So for all those people who've experienced both EPS & HPS, what is your general opinion of the systems.
What year Elantra? I own a 2015 and it is indeed a vague feeling system. While the control is tight, especially in "sport" steering setting, you don't get the feedback from the road through the steering. Some hydraulic cars had mush for power steering and there was plenty of play in the wheel. But usually those were the floating boat or basic family sedan type cars or there were mechanical problems with the suspension and steering. With a properly tuned hydraulic steering you will feel as if you're part of the car. You'll know just when the tires are at their limit in a corner. You'll feel if your tires have lost traction and have begun to hydroplane. You'll feel if you've re-established traction with the road. I don't feel this with my Elantra. I don't have the confidence to take it into a corner because I can't feel what the wheels are doing. It's good enough for routine commutes and I like changing to comfort or normal on the interstate for an easier steering effort on long trips. But if you want to drive sporty and feel the tires meet the road, you want a well tuned hydraulic steering.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:47 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,996 times
I like electric steering for my daily driver, makes steering inputs easy, no matter what speed I'm going.

For sports cars, I prefer hydraulic, at least on mine. It really does help give you a better sense of what the front tires are doing based on the amount of force needed to control the wheel and hold a line.

I've actually been able to experience both electric steering and hydraulic... on the same type of car. Porsche sells an electric steering kit that eliminates the hydraulic system, as a complete bolt on kit, used primarily on track cars. It made the front end (already quite light in steering weight) feel TOO light, easy. Really lost a sense of what the front tires were doing, and thus, a degree of fine control in the turns. A pro driver with plenty of experience, and also driving a dedicated track car with no sound deadening, so they can hear what the tires are doing, might grow to prefer an electric assist. For most people casually racing their cars though, it's not a benefit.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:45 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,231,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
What year Elantra? I own a 2015 and it is indeed a vague feeling system. While the control is tight, especially in "sport" steering setting, you don't get the feedback from the road through the steering. Some hydraulic cars had mush for power steering and there was plenty of play in the wheel. But usually those were the floating boat or basic family sedan type cars or there were mechanical problems with the suspension and steering. With a properly tuned hydraulic steering you will feel as if you're part of the car. You'll know just when the tires are at their limit in a corner. You'll feel if your tires have lost traction and have begun to hydroplane. You'll feel if you've re-established traction with the road. I don't feel this with my Elantra. I don't have the confidence to take it into a corner because I can't feel what the wheels are doing. It's good enough for routine commutes and I like changing to comfort or normal on the interstate for an easier steering effort on long trips. But if you want to drive sporty and feel the tires meet the road, you want a well tuned hydraulic steering.
It wasn't the new 2016, but the still new previous gen, I think it was 2015.
It's just that every review of a EPS equipped vehicle sees the system negatively criticized. But after first hand experience I actually found it better than HPS. Is it true that with HPS you get more feedback, but really that is feedback I rather have filtered out, which is what EPS does exactly. It's actually safer, as surface imperfections , bumps, water etc do not force the steering to move, unlike hydraulic where driving over water will pull the vehicle to one side. With EPS the only steering that occurs is what the driver inputs, and I'd say that is the better and more safe way.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
The best is what we have on our 2013 and 2014, electric motor pumping the hydronic system rather then belt driven. When I drove a non hydraulic electric system it was like driving on a computer game. I like to feel the bumps, puddles, and curves with the feedback. Not worth the loss of real driving feel for 1 more mpg than with the electric hydraulic system.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:51 AM

6,449 posts, read 9,807,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The best is what we have on our 2013 and 2014, electric motor pumping the hydronic system rather then belt driven. When I drove a non hydraulic electric system it was like driving on a computer game. I like to feel the bumps, puddles, and curves with the feedback. Not worth the loss of real driving feel for 1 more mpg than with the electric hydraulic system.

Thats my experience as well! it felt like driving a Go-Cart at one point.

I had a brand new 3 series loaner from BMW with electric steering and just hated it. I wouldn't trade my car for a brand new one now because of that. yuck!

Old 12-27-2016, 04:01 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,819,186 times
Personally I like manual steering. second to that electric assisted steering, where it's mostly working at low speeds and turns off at higher speeds. Some HPS systems variate more than others, some are over boosted.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:47 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,983,290 times
Electric brakes are coming next. No hydraulics.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:48 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
It wasn't the new 2016, but the still new previous gen, I think it was 2015.
It's just that every review of a EPS equipped vehicle sees the system negatively criticized. But after first hand experience I actually found it better than HPS. Is it true that with HPS you get more feedback, but really that is feedback I rather have filtered out, which is what EPS does exactly. It's actually safer, as surface imperfections , bumps, water etc do not force the steering to move, unlike hydraulic where driving over water will pull the vehicle to one side. With EPS the only steering that occurs is what the driver inputs, and I'd say that is the better and more safe way.
And there's the problem with electric. Those surface imperfections, bumps, water, etc are still effecting your tires' contact with the road and traction. Difference is with too many completely electric power steering units, you don't feel you're loosing contact/traction with the road until it's too late. I agree with another poster who said a low speed assist power steering and then no power steering when up to normal road speeds is best if the gearing and linkages are set up properly. Some makers have vastly improved the electric power steering feel according to some magazine testers. Not feeling what your tires are doing is more than just about performance. It's also about safety. Thankfully I don't live in snow and ice country. I do live in hurricane country and have driven through roads with water flowing over. I've been trained on how to deal with such situations so the lack of steering feel isn't as bad for me. But if I were a young and inexperienced driver and the only car I've driven was one with electric steering then I'd be in trouble in water, snow, and ice.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:15 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times
I'm indifferent. I can't tell the difference between the two and I would venture to say that the vast majority of drivers can't tell the difference either. I will say that the steering on my 2016 EPS-equipped Silverado is more precise feeling than the steering was on my 2001 Sierra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive