Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 05:11 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I see similar rigs from time to time hauling big 5th wheel travel trailers. The last one I saw was parked in a hangar at the airport. I suppose they fly in, move the truck and trailer out, put the plane in the hangar, and are on their way to hunting or fishing camp.

For ranchers, a 1-ton or 2-ton with dualies and a diesel are the truck of choice. A triple axle livestock trailer full of market steers doesn't gross over about 8 tons and balances well enough it only puts maybe a ton and a half on the hitch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 05:34 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The problem is that they morphed from mid-size to 7/8 size and became way too expensive. Last June I bought a loaded Silverado LTZ that had a factory sticker price of $52,430. I paid $36,662 for it. That's for a brand new truck, 12 miles on the odo, and no trade in. A few weeks later I saw a 2016 Colorado mid-level trim for $37,000. The LTZ is much better equipped and much more comfortable and roomier. So I have absolutely no incentive to buy a Colorado. If Ford, Chevy and Toyota went back to the same size they had 20 years ago they wouldn't have any problem selling them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Toyota sold almost 180k Tacomas last year which is the highest ever over the past 16 years so I dont think they are having problems. GM is doing well with the Colorado and Canyon and Ford is going to get back in the game with the next Ranger.

People still want to do truck things with these vehciles and they also have to pass safety regs so we will never get back to little Luvs and Mighty Maxs running around. To be able to tow a decent load dictates the 7/8s size you abhor and although I understand where you are coming from I just believe that the market forces have brought us here and theres no going back.
Which has been my point all along.
I took the day off yesterday to go truck shopping with my brother in law he's starting up a business and needs a truck.
Looked at left overs and 17s for Ford Chevy/GMC, Dodge, Nissan and Toyota.

32k for a left over Colorado 35k for a 17.
36k for the Canyon
34k for the Tacoma
29k for the frontier.

None of those trucks except MAYBE the Frontier could put a sheet of plywood or sheet rock in WITH the tailgate down.
For the same money for those mini trucks, and I was right all along...
For a work truck hauling carpentry supplies, I told him go for the dodge 1500 they don't rot down here can be had on the cheap.

He wants a Chevy like mine, he loves my truck.

We looked at every option for work trucks he is dead set on an Extended Cab LT with a 5.3 my link nav the cargo lights like mine the A/C inverters like mine just not a CCSB. For the same money as a new Tacoma before any incentives/rebates.

Both the Tacoma and the LT had cloth interior. The mini cab MIGHT offer legroom and seating for 5. Dealer wouldn't budge and had an elitist attitude well those are fords Chevys and dodges you're buying a Toyota. Like a Toyota has ever been something impressive or to be proud of owning... Paying for the name? No thanks he needs a WORK truck that's presentable to clients when he shows up to a job. Nobody cares what the make and model is.

Dodge reg cab 8ft bed crank up windows rubber floors and vinyl seats 22k out the door 24 with 4x4
2 Dodge crew cabs 1 with a workmans package forget the other one they were 33k and 35k
F150 XLT extended cab was the most expensive on the list at 41k
The reg cab 8 foot bed XL F150 was 29 and change with the anemic 3.7 with a 5.0 31 and change.
GMC BWAHAHAHAHA "professional grade" pricing... Nothing special just different badges.
Never mind the Titan or tundra forget it. Starting at 40k no way.

So point blank being, what purpose does the mini truck offer? You can't do ANYTHING with them. Mileage is the same as a full size. Only trucks that ran and had power when you'd mat it were the Hemi and the 5.3, the 5.0 had a highway geared rear, it was comparable to the V6 trucks forget it, all fart no turd. Both the hemi and 5.3 kicks down to 4cyl mode... Great fuel economy those mini trucks Wish they could get. Speaking from experience with mine on E85 it's almost as if it had a tuner in it. So 1.85 a gallon not a problem.

Personally I'd start a business with an older 5.3 or 6.0 that's paid for... If the business fails, I still own it and don't have to worry about the bank heckling or repossessing it... So what if I have to rebuild a front end in my driveway or do new wheel bearings in the driveway. Chevys are simple to work on and parts are cheaper. Except trans cooler lines in an S10, they went to ford for that restrictive space idea.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:35 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Then why mention it? Remember, MB is one of the largest commercial vehicle makers in the world - outside of North America. A pickup truck, even a premium one, makes sense in those markets. It's not a huge stretch for them to make one, especially since it's based on a Nissan so it allows the costs to be justified.

All I'm saying - again - is that Volvo doesn't have a commercial division any where in the world and attempting to sell a pickup would be a waste of energy and money. Trying to associate the love of Volvo trucks in the big rig world doesn't mean a Volvo pickup would sell. I've given you reasons why not and you have yet to give me any reason other than the above why it would work.

BTW, the Metris thus far has been underwhelming - MB has sold only 5,000 units in 2016 with a target of about 25,000. I like the Metris but it's not gaining traction.
Mercedes is also the largest commercial vehicle maker in the United States, too, by a wide margin. They just do it under their Freightliner and Western Star brands, not calling them Mercedes here. Freightliner by itself outsells every other truckmaker by a 2:1 margin or more, largely due to the fact they own Detroit Diesel now, too.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:18 PM

776 posts, read 580,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I was wondering how pickups with a big rig nameplate sell. How many more F-150 and Silverado commercials can we take? A Mack pickup with some beefy Diesel would be awesome.
I'm not much of a Mack fan anymore. If it was a front to back Mack, heck yes, but like everything, continual compromise makes... I am a big fan of Kentworth and to a lesser degree Peterbilt. I know quite a few fans that would gladly purchase a 150, 250, 350, or 450 if they mass produced them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
No, I just was pointing out that the Cummins really propelled Dodge's sales.
(1)Just like a Detroit would have for GM, if they put 3-53's or 4-53's in them (in my opinion anyway, lol). But the government pretty much squashed them back in the late 80's, early 90's.
(2)Funny though as there are more Detroit's in older trucks now than ever, but you have to install it yourself, lol.
1. Wet dream.
2. Move more fuel = filter more fuel. I know many older Detroit fans, and I'm not that sociable.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:28 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
My former boss drove the last Studebaker with Detroit 4-53 off the line in early 1963.
They also made a 1t with 3-53 for 3 short yrs.
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...althrabbit-335

Today's pickups have too much fluff and plastic to be taken seriously as a workhorse.

There was a hurky Canadian pickup that looked just like a KW, it too was short lived, the employees tried to revive, and THEY became short lived...

If you want a working pickup, you need to build your own. (The you will have no time to work, and some cell phone distracted driver might take out your handcrafted work of art.)

I still keep 3 1st gen CTD 4x4 duallies busy working. (<$5000)
They are not great, but can work with a few mods. (Brakes!)
A friend is installing a 13 speed Fuller in his, cuz we haul heavy (30,000) in MTNs, and stock trannies cannot handle it nor offer the gear ranges desired.

I also keep a Mack and KW around if needed. Very cheap to buy, very expensive to license and insure. Impossible for a certified many to build and certify a tough pickup that is also affordable. Gotta build your own. My CTDs will get vintage cabs as the Dodge part of the vehilcle erodes.
Yes, there's a lot of plastic and fluff. However, payload and towing capacities go up. Horsepower and torque also keep climbing.

I saw a guy a year ago who was grossing 56,000 pounds with a F450 and a tandem axle dual tired trailer. When I saw that I was astounded.

I see several hotshot operators run F350s/F450s or the Dodge equivalent and often license their rigs for 40,000 pounds.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:34 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
You can't do ANYTHING with them.
Who can argue with airtight logic like that. I guess all tbose owners must just be under the ether. Or perhaps their needs differ from yours?

Old 01-04-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Who can argue with airtight logic like that. I guess all tbose owners must just be under the ether. Or perhaps their needs differ from yours?
It's very straight forward...
When you can buy a full size for the going rate of a Tacoma...
You get something that can tow, haul, and get better fuel economy...
Where's the logic in buying a mini truck? I'm failing to see any benefit with up front cost and capabilities.

Maybe if the mini trucks were fetching 15-18k new-I can understand that. No benefit or value to be had in the mini truck in mid 20s to high 30s.

Low to high 30s? Where is the benefit of the mini truck vs the full size? For the same money, twice the interior room, a bed you can actually haul stuff with, a suspension and brakes rated to tow something with. Engines that not only will put you in the seat when WOT but yeild great fuel economy when cruising and even loaded...

Old 01-04-2017, 05:30 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
In general the smaller ones get better mileage.
In general they start out at lower pricing.
They fit in to smaller spaces.

They are still enough truck for a lot of people who own small boats or watercraft or atvs and need to tow them or fleets like building inspectors and exterminators.

That is why they exist and that is why they sell in profitable numbers.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Toyota sold almost 180k Tacomas last year which is the highest ever over the past 16 years so I dont think they are having problems. ...
Just imagine how many Diesel Hilux's Toyota could have sold if offered in in USA.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
In general the smaller ones get better mileage.
In general they start out at lower pricing.
They fit in to smaller spaces.

They are still enough truck for a lot of people who own small boats or watercraft or atvs and need to tow them or fleets like building inspectors and exterminators.

That is why they exist and that is why they sell in profitable numbers.
If they were profitable and selling, the Big 3 would still be producing them. Correct?
False on the gas mileage. Big time. Advertised mpg on the windows of a V6 frontier and Tacoma were the exact same as advertised on the F150 with a 5.0, and silverado with a 5.3, the hemi came in with the "worst" gas mileage. 4cyls I'll bet everything I own would be horrible on gas doing any towing or hauling, load those little engines down and you achieve big block V8 mileage when towing. Where with the Hemi ram, the silverado or f150 you are barely straining the engine to pull the same weight or haul the same weight...

This is Much like arguing with my father all over again when he bought my mother convertible mustangs for her birthday every year or 2 they were always brand new V6 "because smaller engines get better gas mileage" funny how that false logic worked against him. 3.8s averaged 17mpg. The 4.0 19. She in no way was a performance or spirited driver... Family friends with GT convertibles with 4.6s 22-23. Try explaining to the know it all he wouldn't listen... Cars even had the exact same gearing in the rear diffs so there goes that argument...
Where I lived in NY where I live currently and where I've been down here, I've yet to see a fleet company run mini trucks, all halftons up for pickups.

But if you want to talk vans on the other hand, down here they LOVE transits opposed to the econolines... That argument would hold water. They DO get better gas mileage, They DO have room, and they DO have a multitude of purposes and roles they can fill. Where the mini truck has nothing really going for it.

Unfortunately it won't allow me to directly upload a photo of my cluster to reveal what my average MPG is which is further verified off slightly by tenths when hand calculated
You'd think it's from a 4cyl econobox. And I'm not light on the gas either...gas pedal is on the floor board until the speed limit is reached then barely applied engaging the 4cyl mode. Opposed to creeping up to speed in V8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive