Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 05:51 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how pickups with a big rig nameplate sell. How many more F-150 and Silverado commercials can we take? A Mack pickup with some beefy Diesel would be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 06:11 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
International tried it with thier mtx. I believe it was...

Had a 6.0 but it was eh.
Same with the F650s and Kodiaks with truck beds.
650 you can get fully loaded like a lariat with a cummapart or a cat C7 not sure what was in the chevy counter part...

But those were 80-90k.
And the baby boomers and older crowd who bought them whined and cried how horrible they rode...

Well

DUH it's a chassis designed to haul and tow heavy weight. What were you expecting? A cadillac?
The air seats helped...

And make them change the oil in a C7, hell they cried over what they were spending on 7.3s6.0s6.4s 15qts worth... And a lot of them neglected their 7.3-6.4
Could never understand, drop 60k for a king ranch, then blat about $100 for an oil change...and expect that F350-450 dually to ride like a cadillac...

I'm a fan of ripping the blue goose egg off and replacing them with peterbilt emblems. Makes everyone stop and stare.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:24 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
What I personally would buy... If peterbilt say were to build a diesel pickup, it would need a 1/2 scale 8V92TT Detroit with either stacks behind the cab or 2 3 inch cop callers exiting through a roll pan or under the rear bumper. No non driver BS like ABS traction control stability control. I like donuts and burnouts. Would need either a manual gear box, or if I could only get it automagic, is say ok. Would need a 2 speed rear, or like gear vendors Direct Under Overdrive unit off the tail shaft of the transmission. Wouldn't need a stereo system either if you've ever heard a turbo screaming Jimmy, that's music to my ears. Tsssss BRAAAPPP

Oh and bring back Cooper ATRs (they were the best longest lasting 8 ply tires I ever had on a truck) put 35x12.50x17s on it stock. No more Obama wheels with low pros. Some people actually drive trucks... Make it in regular cab short box. Oh yeah. Or crew cab short box. I hate 8 foot beds. Don't know why just do. Screams trashy regardless whether it's an LTZ or King ranch/platinum.

Put air bags on the rear axles to keep the rear from sagging with a heavy load behind it. Beefy leaf springs, torsion bar front with IFS like chevy... I'd buy it.

Set it up slightly higher than that midlife crisis mobile the raptor no running boards. I'd buy it.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:37 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,604 times
Some people use their truck for work. Hauling plywood, studs, drywall, fence posts, etc.

We need a truck that will haul a heavy load over a Colorado pass without losing the transmission and engine due to overheating. There is a reason for the diesel shop 20 miles down the road from the pass.

Modern trucks disgust me. Plastic wonder boxes with computers running everything. I can't do hardly anything to my truck. Rides nice though.

If Trump can trim the EPA, perhaps we will be able to work on our engines again? Good luck with either wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Make it in regular cab short box. Oh yeah. Or crew cab short box. I hate 8 foot beds. Don't know why just do. Screams trashy regardless whether it's an LTZ or King ranch/platinum.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:47 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
No. Sterling tried it with a rebranded dodge ten years ago. iH MTX. If it was successful, it would have been something other than a 2 year run.

International Harvester quick the pickup business in 1974. Why would Paccar (the parent company that manufactures Peterbilt) dive in to the market that lacks the demand? A $40,000 to $70,000 unit compared to a $150,000 to 200,000 that class 8 trucks run in.

Mack is owned by Volvo... Again, why!

What a silly question.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:57 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Diamond T tried it many years ago.
I saw one when I was a kid. Beautiful truck!
That's the only one I ever saw.
PACCAR employees built a KW (IIRC) pickup for one of the retiring executives several years ago. It was a one of a kind hand built rig.
My old (1999) Dodge Ram 2500 CTD is as close to a "big rig" pickup as I need. Yes, it rides like a truck. Perhaps that is because it IS a truck! My even older (1994) Dodge Ram 3500 CTD was even more of a truck.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:21 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,403,833 times
Funny that this thread has started. Back before the Great Recession, everyone was Diesel Pick-up crazy and Dodge Trucks with the Cummins Diesel were selling like hotcakes. Ford and Chevy did well too, but that Cummins really boosted their sales.

I could just vision a Mack Pick-up that had a nostalgic look with a comparable Mack Diesel engine. I actually contacted Mack in Pennsylvania to ask them if they would consider making one. In my opinion, if they did it right, had a nice Mack "look" to it, had a great performing and great sounding Engine, along with the possibility of Air Brakes, it would have had a chance to dominate the 3/4 Ton and 1-Ton market.

Well, I did get an answer, well written and very respectable, but the answer was no. They said that their assembly lines weren't set up for small trucks and farming it out just would not work out for them.

In my opinion, I would have just built a new facility. But then the economy tanked.

If Mack, Peterbilt or KW would built one now, I'm not sure this economy could support it, but you never know what the future may bring, especially now with a new administration in control.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:49 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Funny that this thread has started. Back before the Great Recession, everyone was Diesel Pick-up crazy and Dodge Trucks with the Cummins Diesel were selling like hotcakes. Ford and Chevy did well too, but that Cummins really boosted their sales.
Maybe you didnt mean it but it looks like you are implying that Dodge HD P/Us were number one in sales. GM and Ford still lead but yes Cummins helped put the Ram on the map as a solid contender in the market.

Maybe Volvo should do it.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:57 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post

What a silly question.
Hey, it is a slow Friday night!

Old 12-30-2016, 08:16 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,403,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Maybe you didnt mean it but it looks like you are implying that Dodge HD P/Us were number one in sales. GM and Ford still lead but yes Cummins helped put the Ram on the map as a solid contender in the market.
No, I just was pointing out that the Cummins really propelled Dodge's sales.

Just like a Detroit would have for GM, if they put 3-53's or 4-53's in them (in my opinion anyway, lol). But the government pretty much squashed them back in the late 80's, early 90's.

Funny though as there are more Detroit's in older trucks now than ever, but you have to install it yourself, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive