Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2017, 06:59 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times

Advertisements

Went back home for a bit today we live in Greenville, SC now so we drove up to Asheville, NC to visit some friends. It's about 45 mins away give or take. Found a rather nice Mazda 08 Mazda 3 at a local dealer. Took it for a drive and decided to run the paper work. Come to find out that we can't buy it because the people who do the financing won't let you finance it though their office because we live out of state. We don't have the credit to buy a brand new car nor do we care for a new car payment.

We have the down payment plus some if they would of required more they didn't what we had as more then enough, my wife has bought two cars from them in the past. Their other reason was because we didn't have a NC license. Sure, we could of got a NC though the help of some friend's of our even my wife's best friend would of put the car in her name so we could get it, which brings up a whole host of problems in itself.

It seems like this is something a dealer can choose to do we ran across some that said yes but had nothing we were interested in. I know people buy cars in other states just to avoid paying higher taxes but I wouldn't think a dealer would turn one down because they live in another state.

Even more so when they meet or exceed their financial requirement's as we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 07:09 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
Was this Appletree by chance? They told me the exact same thing back in July. Told them to keep the car, and put it where the sun don't shine.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:16 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Is this a Buy Here Pay Here lot?

Old 01-02-2017, 07:29 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Makes sense. They probably sell most of their cars more than once so not having to get one back from another state helps control their costs of doing business.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post

Yes & no they will help you get the financing you need or they can help you themselves. But it's not your typical buy here pay here. I would share their site but not sure it's allowed.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:56 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,379,498 times
Sounds like one of these wholesale lots who have outrages rates and high mileage cars.....we have a few here, and in some cases have to repo the cars (not saying in your case) and get a second crack at selling them....easier to repo in state.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:18 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post

Sounds like the case.

On the tele.
A segment where the dealer will sell to folks that cannot afford any car but do buy one from this type of used car dealer.
When customer misses a payment - the dealers goes back and repos the car and sells it to another person who cannot afford the car.

The TV segment showed one car sold 8 times and repo 8 times.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Was this Appletree by chance? They told me the exact same thing back in July. Told them to keep the car, and put it where the sun don't shine.

Benchmark, which surprised me.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:29 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,589,402 times
Have you looked into financing from a local (to you) credit union?

Old 01-03-2017, 09:45 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,931,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Went back home for a bit today we live in Greenville, SC now so we drove up to Asheville, NC to visit some friends. It's about 45 mins away give or take. Found a rather nice Mazda 08 Mazda 3 at a local dealer. Took it for a drive and decided to run the paper work. Come to find out that we can't buy it because the people who do the financing won't let you finance it though their office because we live out of state. We don't have the credit to buy a brand new car nor do we care for a new car payment.

We have the down payment plus some if they would of required more they didn't what we had as more then enough, my wife has bought two cars from them in the past. Their other reason was because we didn't have a NC license. Sure, we could of got a NC though the help of some friend's of our even my wife's best friend would of put the car in her name so we could get it, which brings up a whole host of problems in itself.

It seems like this is something a dealer can choose to do we ran across some that said yes but had nothing we were interested in. I know people buy cars in other states just to avoid paying higher taxes but I wouldn't think a dealer would turn one down because they live in another state.

Even more so when they meet or exceed their financial requirement's as we do.
Some small lenders are only authorized to do business in certain states. That's just one reason why things like this happen. This is more common at buy here pay here kind of places. I'm sorry but there is no rule stating you must get dealer financing - get your own.

Also, buying a car in a different state does not save on taxes. The taxes are paid in the state you register the car in, so it doesn't matter what state it came from. When you bring it home from another state, you pay the taxes/fees at the DMV and they will generally be the same as if you bought the car at a dealer down the street. (Same if the out of state dealer uses a title service to do all that.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive