Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 12:56 PM

296 posts, read 318,884 times

Advertisements

A lot of states require vehicle emissions testing when renewing your registration. Are some states stricter with their tests, or are they all relatively similar?

Like a lot of places, Illinois also mandates regular vehicle emissions testing as part of the registration process. I've never had any issue passing, although my car is only 10 years old with no real mechanical problems. But I don't know of anyone personally who has had a vehicle fail an emissions test.

I'm planning on moving early next year and I'm also in the market for an additional vehicle right now. Hoping that if it can pass testing here, it can pass for most other states. Might be smarter to purchase a car after moving, since a car bought in the new state will likely already be compliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 01:01 PM

364 posts, read 635,277 times
We have a corolla 2006 that failed about a year and a half ago in NC due to catalytic converter being bad. Initially we tried cheaper options first that it maybe O2 sensors and or other parts. I think we got a waiver the first time after spending more than a certain amount and it wasn't passing. After that the last time we bought a new cat and it passed fine.

Note it was throwing codes when the failures happened P0420 less than 98% efficiency or something like that....

Old 01-04-2017, 01:14 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
No actual sniffer hookup here in MA. They do a scan using the OBD2 port and if you don't have a check engine light, and enough of the emissions monitors are complete, you pass.

No more sniffer test, which is a good thing considering I have an 80's modified Mustang that would never pass the sniff test.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Ours also just connects to the OBD port and looks for codes. Just had my 2007 done. The test is $15 and required every other year only for cars over 6 years old and less than 25 years old.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:39 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Same for NJ. Just the OBD check and that's it. I think NYS is stricter.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:40 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Are all emissions tests created equal?
I thought this was going to be a Volkswagen turbodiesel emissions thread.

Where I am, if the idiot light isn't lit on the instrument cluster, you pass. They put it up on the lift looking for the obvious problems like bad ball joints, exhaust leaks, broken springs and thin brake pads. If they notice the catalytic converter has been cut out, that's a fail.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:56 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heterojunction View Post
A lot of states require vehicle emissions testing when renewing your registration. Are some states stricter with their tests, or are they all relatively similar?

Like a lot of places, Illinois also mandates regular vehicle emissions testing as part of the registration process. I've never had any issue passing, although my car is only 10 years old with no real mechanical problems. But I don't know of anyone personally who has had a vehicle fail an emissions test.

I'm planning on moving early next year and I'm also in the market for an additional vehicle right now. Hoping that if it can pass testing here, it can pass for most other states. Might be smarter to purchase a car after moving, since a car bought in the new state will likely already be compliant.

As others have stated, here, if the Check Engine light is on - No Pass. If Check Engine light is off - it passes.
We also have a mechanical inspections of brakes, tires, suspension, lights, etc.

Florida, for example, has nothing. No inspections.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:21 PM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times
Calif requires a dyno roller test. Cost $50 a additional expense to live here. My 98 Integra GSR failed required a 0-2 sensor to get it to pass. next time it required a new catalyst. My 95 Del Sol Vtec also required a new catalyst. With diagnose, catalytic installed and retest cost $500 each time.
Registratiion renewal is way more than other states too.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:47 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
No inspections or emissions testing in Alaska. Love it!

Old 01-07-2017, 07:58 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Sniffed and dyno'd in WA

My most ill 500,000 mile evil VW diesel has never used 10% of allowable limits.

When I show up with a Bio diesel or WVO burning car, the test takes about 40 minutes, as they can never detect ANY emissions, so they have to go through the usual sequence...
  • test and pass! Tech says This can never be!, no emissions!
  • re-calibrate testing device
  • restest
  • reboot system
  • retest
  • call a supervisor
  • retest
  • supervisor calibrates the equip
  • retest
  • supervisor reboots the system
  • retest

all the technicians and supervisor go to conference room
  • come back and retest

scratch chins

go talk to manager of supervisor
  • retest (about 6 techs surrounding equipment by now)
  • finally get a special 'one-time-waiver' that says the equipment is suspect to be defective and cannot detect emissions.

This gets old when you have 34 diesel cars in your fleet... so... it's easier to have the cars live @ boarding school (outside test area)

So... OP gets to relocate

Find a non-test area, and live happily-ever-after

better choice... Have a Montana LLC own and register your car. No emissions or safety tests, AND No Sales Tax (follow appropriate laws of your state and rules of your insurance company.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive