Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 03:40 PM

14 posts, read 10,700 times

Advertisements

I luckily have never got a single one

0 speed fines
0 parking tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 07:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I have only gotten one parking ticket, and that was in Quebec City in 1971, because I didn't read French on the sign "Defense de Stationner". Now speeding is another story, I probably got 15+ from age 16-30, then one in the late 1990s, but have been doing better lately, including the last year with no tickets driving a red Challenger.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:57 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
I've lost count. My lifetime speeding ticket total is probably between 15 and 20.

My last one was a speed trap in Colorado on 285 going up the hill from Denver in a rental car. That showed up on my insurance 3 years ago. I was kind of bludgeoned into submission about speeding in New England and hadn't had a ticket in quite a while.

Virginia - passed an unmarked car on the interstate highway. I looked over. He put his smoky bear hat on.

Quebec outside Montreal - The cop made me pay cash on the spot or I'd go to jail. I fortunately had US dollars that would cover it.

84 mph in a 55 in Danbury CT.

81 mph in a 65 zone in Manchester, NH

I got one in RI I failed to pay. A decade later, I had to drive a few hours to appear in court so my out-of-state license didn't get suspended.

I had a bunch of others that were all pretty vanilla. These days, I use adaptive cruise control and go the speed limit or a couple miles over on the secondary roads and speed limit + 9 on interstate highways. I don't get over 80 mph very often and it's by accident when I have the cruise control off.

I don't live in a city so I don't get parking tickets very often. I got towed a couple times in Boston years ago.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:45 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,238,095 times
I got 7 moving violations in the span of an hour one day, pulled over twice.

Thankfully this was back in the day where a young kid in a sports car didn't get thrown in jail or have his car impounded for "boys being boys."

Old 01-06-2017, 09:03 AM

2,347 posts, read 1,395,279 times
No parking fines...but I've lost count of all the speeding tickets.

At least 10+ over the years.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:09 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,129,801 times
My only two tickets were two summers ago. 91 in a 60 and 80 in 60. We have a 3 strikes in a year, and you're out. So adjusted and none since.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:13 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,129,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I got 7 moving violations in the span of an hour one day, pulled over twice.

Thankfully this was back in the day where a young kid in a sports car didn't get thrown in jail or have his car impounded for "boys being boys."
What did you do in that hour????

Old 01-06-2017, 09:25 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Since 1986 I've had two speeding tickets. Only one parking ticket from a parking meter running out of time too fast. These were mechanical meters and my digital stop watch said I had several minutes to spare.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:55 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,531 times
I've probably gotten about 10 parking tickets, all within the last two and a half years. Parking in Philadelphia is terrible and the PPA is ruthless (just watch Parking Wars on A&E).

I've gotten pulled over for speeding 3 times. The first time I was 21 and I was going 80 in a 65 (on the interstate), and had my elderly grandmother with me. I think the only reason the cop let me off was because she was with me.

The second time I was headed to work early one morning and I was going down a hill at 65 in a 40. My dad has the same first and last name as a police lieutenant in my hometown, and because my car was in his name at the time, the cop let me off with a warning because he thought my father was the cop with the same name.

The third time I got pulled over for going 87 in a 65 (again on the interstate) on Easter Sunday. I think the cop was pissed he had to work the holiday and told me that if he wanted to he could throw me in jail for aggravated speeding. He wrote me a $300 ticket. I decided to fight it in court (even though I was completely guilty), knowing that the prosecutor didn't want to waste time on a traffic ticket. I got it reduced to only $100 after refusing to accept her first offer of $150. I don't think she liked me very much after that, lol.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:56 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I seem to get a ticket every three or four years. I drive fast where it is safe to do so, but I am pretty cautious. Never the fasted driver in a crowd, always otherwise drive correctly (use turn signals, seat belt, no zipping back and forth from lane to lane in a stupid attempt to get five cars ahead). still sometimes they care going to pick you out for their ticket of the hour.

In California, you could just go to traffic school and they woudl go away. If you were not eligible for traffic school, you could usually talk them out of issuing ticket. In Michigan if you get a ticket, you can usually get it changed to a non-moving violation that has a higher fine but no points. All they want is money. thus you might have a speeding ticket with a $150 fine but agree to plead guilty to double parking with a $250 fine and you are good to go. No points no insurance increase. Stupid, but that is how it works.

Our insurance is odd. They do not increase your rates for getting a ticket, but the policy we have, you can only keep if you have no tickets. Get a ticket and they cancel you and you have to buy the next level of policy from them (which costs more). Get another ticket and get cancelled again, and move to ten next more expensive policy. For whatever reason, they apparently want or need to avoid raising your rates for getting a ticket, so they create this odd way of doing the same thing without technically raising rates on your policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive