Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 02:51 PM

9,973 posts, read 5,669,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
The Washington law allows me to do so. Honest people can disagree without name calling....or can they?
Washington law does not allow the behavior you defended earlier. Honest people can indeed disagree without name-calling. Whether one can cloak onself with the label of "honest person" while defending dishonest behavior is open to debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 03:32 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Your eager and (dysfunctional) boy scout perspective lost you an election.

You were wrong then and you are wrong now.
Paying taxes and obeying the laws of the state I live in and care about is a "boy scout perspective"? If everyone went to such lengths to avoid paying taxes, there would be no roads, ferries, bridges, police or firefighters. The state would not have the economy it has that makes people want to move here since there would be no functional ways to commute.

Quote:
The Washington law allows me to do so. Honest people can disagree without name calling....or can they?
Honest? Would this be something a person would be willing to confess at vehicle registration? Would this be something a person would admit when introducing themselves to locals? Would this be something a person would admit to an employer? Those people all pay local taxes and understand how fortunate they are to live in such a state and what it takes to keep that economy functioning, the roads, bridges and ferries maintained or when traffic slows to a halt and a new lane is needed, which is all the time.

Last edited by Seacove; 01-11-2017 at 03:45 PM..

Old 01-11-2017, 04:37 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Washington law does not allow the behavior you defended earlier. Honest people can indeed disagree without name-calling. Whether one can cloak onself with the label of "honest person" while defending dishonest behavior is open to debate.
I am true to myself first. After living for quite some time watching states steal from people, punish them for unfathomable reasons and tax people over and over again for the same thing in the name of roads and other "essential services" I came to that realization.

The essence of my post is it's much worse to turn in your friends and neighbors. What kind of community to you really want. One where you have honorable and supportive people next to you,.. or ones who will turn you in for the "good of the state"?

Friends don't turn friends in. Strangers do.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Paying taxes and obeying the laws of the state I live in and care about is a "boy scout perspective"? If everyone went to such lengths to avoid paying taxes, there would be no roads, ferries, bridges, police or firefighters. The state would not have the economy it has that makes people want to move here since there would be no functional ways to commute.

Honest? Would this be something a person would be willing to confess at vehicle registration? Would this be something a person would admit when introducing themselves to locals? Would this be something a person would admit to an employer? Those people all pay local taxes and understand how fortunate they are to live in such a state and what it takes to keep that economy functioning, the roads, bridges and ferries maintained or when traffic slows to a halt and a new lane is needed, which is all the time.
Your beloved state says that if purchase a vehicle out of state. After 90 days there is no tax in Washington. Is that cheating?

Old 01-11-2017, 05:38 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
As long as you own the vehicle in another state for > 90 days you do not owe the tax in WA.
That wasn't true when we registered our well used vehicles when we moved from Oregon.

There may be a difference if sales tax was previously paid.

My advice is to buy you car in a county where the local tax that is assessed (a plus to sales tax) is lower. Call a dealer in Clark County to discuss WA state quirks - after the thaw. Remember that because WA has no income tax they are aggressive in taxing/assessing fees in other ways. The money to provide services does not fall from Heaven.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
That wasn't true when we registered our well used vehicles when we moved from Oregon.

WA only allowed me to bring in 2 vehicles (with proof of tax paid in previous state) 3 and beyond were fully taxed (tho had been taxed in previous state).

OP / general question is fully legal if one may anticipate moving, and has bought a vehicle 90+ days before doing so.

90 days or 90 yrs, legal is legal. Do what is best, be legal.

As mentioned it is also legal to have a MT, OR, AK LLC (or other income tax free state) own, register and license your vehicles.

Just be legal. (And a good citizen)

WA makes it a bit contentious since you can be an excellent tax paying citizen for 50+ yrs ($20-$40k / yr), homeschool your kids (no burden / use of your 50% paid to schools), pay your quarterlies to WADoR on time and abundantly, yet... get ZERO representation from voted issues (because 3 counties control the will of the 36 remaining counties who have no voice).

Was 2016 and election yr? Wouldn't know it in my county... No need to campaign / contest / or inform on the initiatives. Our vote is of NO value (too expensive to bother counting), as we are in the 36 'minority' population counties that just feed WA revenue, jobs, products, natural and human resources, food, business growth... but no votes needed or desired.

Sales tax on vehicles?

Do it legal,
get on with bringing jobs, revenue, growth, and citizenship to WA.

WA DOR knows your Addy, and they certainly know MINE! That is where the gravy train come from, "Send-it-in!"

Old 01-12-2017, 12:32 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post

My advice is to buy you car in a county where the local tax that is assessed (a plus to sales tax) is lower. Call a dealer in Clark County to discuss WA state quirks - after the thaw. Remember that because WA has no income tax they are aggressive in taxing/assessing fees in other ways. The money to provide services does not fall from Heaven.
Agree 1000%. Everyone riding a Washington state ferry large enough to carry cars across Puget Sound or spending the weekend on the San Juan islands marvels at how amazing it is to have those things in a state with no income tax. Then there are the ones trying to have those things that will still go to extraordinary lengths to avoid paying taxes on a vehicle but will be the first to complain about a pothole, the need for more traffic lanes or a canceled ferry due to maintenance.

Quote:
I am true to myself first. After living for quite some time watching states steal from people, punish them for unfathomable reasons and tax people over and over again for the same thing in the name of roads and other "essential services" I came to that realization.

The essence of my post is it's much worse to turn in your friends and neighbors. What kind of community to you really want. One where you have honorable and supportive people next to you,.. or ones who will turn you in for the "good of the state"?

Friends don't turn friends in. Strangers do.
What kind of friend or neighbor lets others pay for the roads, bridges and ferries but seeks to reap the same benefits at no cost to themselves? Expecting others to be "honorable and supportive" under such circumstances is ignoring that those residents do pay. Definitely encourage sharing this with a new employer, neighbor or WA DOL.

Last edited by Seacove; 01-12-2017 at 12:49 AM..

Old 01-12-2017, 01:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Agree 1000%. Everyone riding a Washington state ferry large enough to carry cars across Puget Sound or spending the weekend on the San Juan islands marvels at how amazing it is to have those things in a state with no income tax. ....

What kind of friend or neighbor lets others pay for the roads, bridges and ferries but seeks to reap the same benefits at no cost to themselves? Expecting others to be "honorable and supportive" under such circumstances is ignoring that those residents do pay. Definitely encourage sharing this with a new employer, neighbor or WA DOL.
Actually, unless OP brings their own fuel from AK, the ARE paying dearly for WA state roads and transportation at one of the highest fuel taxes in USA.

Having been an island dweller in both WA and BC, I will let you continue to think WA State has a delightful and efficient ferry system that you are funding with your WA vehicle sales tax (?)

I suppose, since I drive a $35 car that gets 50 mpg on used cooking oil, I am not paying my fair share... yes, I file fuel tax for all highway miles on my Farm report.

Or, you can offer to help pay the qtrly IFTA and annual $700 -$1000 GVW on each of my HD trucks that get used a few days per yr.(<40 WA road miles). Yes, we all end up paying to be a WA resident and utilize the 'quality' WA transportation resources.

Even the OP who claimed no intention to defraud WA State of any revenue. I hear the jails are really not that great.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
"behavior"? "cloaking" "dishonest"....and yet in the same sentence you agreed that people can disagree without name calling. Show me where I was dishonest pray tell.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:59 AM

Once again.

Vehicles brought into Washington from out-of-state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive