Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:11 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,667,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Lot of people are dead from doing stupid stuff. I really don't care. The shifter still looked like a normal automatic shifter, He just failed at paying attention.
It looked like a "normal" automatic shifter but didn't function like one. That's why this particular design has earned FCA a good deal of scrutiny and will probably end up costing them a good deal of money. Blaming the driver for a confusing interface is like blaming drivers for getting into an usually high number of accidents if a manufacturer inexplicably decided to put the accelerator pedal on the left side and the brake pedal on the right side, as if their interface design decision wasn't a significant contributing factor to the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 05:54 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,711,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
It looked like a "normal" automatic shifter but didn't function like one. That's why this particular design has earned FCA a good deal of scrutiny and will probably end up costing them a good deal of money. Blaming the driver for a confusing interface is like blaming drivers for getting into an usually high number of accidents if a manufacturer inexplicably decided to put the accelerator pedal on the left side and the brake pedal on the right side, as if their interface design decision wasn't a significant contributing factor to the problem.
The only difference between a monostable shifter and a "normal" one is that the mono returns to center. I drove a '14 Jeep for 3 years and 60K miles with one of those shifters...and never missed a gear. Never forgot to put in in park, never hit reverse by accident, right along with hundreds of thousands of others. Let's face it - a couple hundred people filing a complaint vs. the 1+ million cars being recalled? Sounds like driver error to me. The shifter still thumps when you hit a "gear" like every other one I've used and still stops when you hit park.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:37 AM

9,971 posts, read 5,667,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
The only difference between a monostable shifter and a "normal" one is that the mono returns to center. I drove a '14 Jeep for 3 years and 60K miles with one of those shifters...and never missed a gear. Never forgot to put in in park, never hit reverse by accident, right along with hundreds of thousands of others. Let's face it - a couple hundred people filing a complaint vs. the 1+ million cars being recalled? Sounds like driver error to me. The shifter still thumps when you hit a "gear" like every other one I've used and still stops when you hit park.
Let's face it, when no other manufacturers has nearly the volume the complaints or accidents or injuries attributed to its shifter design, then one company screwed up worse than the others did. When nearly all of the bad apples are coming from the same orchard, that orchard deserves scrutiny even if most of its own apples aren't rotten.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:09 AM

24,507 posts, read 33,292,783 times
Among my favorite shifters was used on the mid-'60s to early-'70s Mopars. Not too big, not too small, easy to use and plainly labeled. The one pictured is on a '69 Dodge Dart...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive