Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:33 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Why not buy A NEW $15K car instead of a used (Possible) beater? New car warranty and reliability...

The extended warranty may have very fine print and require you to do certain things (Oil changes and such at exact intervals) you seem to be wanting a "Status Symbol" car. Why not wait till you can easily afford one?
Yeah, sounds like OP is trying to give the impression he's a high roller but he's on a budget.

If the OP needs a solid reliable car in that price range, he should look into stuff like this:

Certified Used Toyota Vehicles | Pre-Owned Cars, Trucks, SUVs & Hybrids

Stop trying to keep up with the name plates and get something reliable.

Oh, your Buick with 205k is still running strong? Then why get another car?

I swear some people act like money has an expiration date, that it has to be spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 09:05 AM

26 posts, read 28,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Yeah, sounds like OP is trying to give the impression he's a high roller but he's on a budget.

If the OP needs a solid reliable car in that price range, he should look into stuff like this:

I swear some people act like money has an expiration date, that it has to be spent.
Yes I want to get the nicest car I can get for my money, and life does has an expiration date so i would rather spend my money and get something i will enjoy driving every single day for 3-5hrs each day.

The answer is not always toyota/honda, there acuras infiniti and lexus that make just as reliable cars. Nothing wrong with honda/toyota but they don't excite me as a brand

Old 01-13-2017, 09:17 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
Yes I want to get the nicest car I can get for my money, and life does has an expiration date so i would rather spend my money and get something i will enjoy driving every single day for 3-5hrs each day.

And that is your downfall. I have already done all of this. And wasted tons of money in the process. And the money - you can never get back.

But get it out of your system. It is your money.

Can't wait for your post in 5 years asking which car is better - the Nissan Versa or the Toyota Yaris.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:39 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,143,215 times
OP- buy whatever you want to. Start saving $100 per month in your "car contingency" account. You should be good.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:43 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post

If the car has 205K miles, and one depends on it, then it isn't stupid to replace it with something newer. Especially if you drive 3-5 hours a day. Driving a car til it dies works for some, but not all of us have a spouse that can take us to work, short commutes, etc...

All this talk about reliability...Most cars don't leave people stranded anymore. Do BMW's cost more to operate? Most definitely. But it isn't as if you always hear about them (or see them) leaving their owners in a cloud of smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
And that is your downfall. I have already done all of this. And wasted tons of money in the process. And the money - you can never get back.

Can't wait for your post in 5 years asking which car is better - the Nissan Versa or the Toyota Yaris.
Most people that have to drive 3-5 hours a day, unless they are quite small (and even then,) aren't looking for a car that small and spartan. The noise and bounciness would take it out of you after awhile.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

First of all a small car like the yaris or versa isn't for everyone. I'm a bigger guy (6ft 230lbs) and when i drive friends cars that have the honda fit or focus i feel trapped and don't enjoy the ride at all. Those cars make taking my family or friends on road trips impossible (without stopping every now and then to stretch). I need something at least midsize that is also sporty and looks nice. I feel like i have tons of options (acura tl,tsx, rl, infiniti g, lexus es,ford fusion, buick lucerne etc) even some choices in the suv category (buick enclave, fx35) which are all nice luxurious and reliable.

The reason i asked about the 08 bmw is because it seems like a reliable year for the 328i but i don't necessarily care for the brand (i do love how bmw drive though). I've had nice nice expensive cars when i was younger so im over that "showing off" phase, but you can very much so enjoy luxury at a budget and there's nothing wrong with that if comfort and good reliability are also there.

The buick i currently drive was a premium expensive car back in the days, i enjoy every single minute I'm in it and has been very reliable.

I don't think there's any reason to drive small boring cars nowadays, possibly unsafe too, when you can get something a lot nicer for the same money, and mpg wise there's not much difference and if there is some to me it's not worth it driving something thats too small and uncomfortable to get a couple more mpg.

I guess it all comes down to ones priorities. For me if i wanted to simply get from point a to be id take the bus.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:56 PM

797 posts, read 752,469 times
Warranties will fight you till the death to correct a problem. Just browse any actual automotive forum.
That's with most warranties and insurances. They are a business,not a charity.
Just stick to being a passenger.

Seriously though,your better off opting for a more reliable car with lower miles like an accord or altima .

Old 01-13-2017, 03:03 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
No one in this thread can tell you what the right answer is. I can tell you I have bought them on most of my cars. In some cases I have used the hell out of it. In other cases I didnt use it at all and got some of the money back at trade.

Just like any extended warranty on anything you buy it is insurance against what might happen. It could turn out to be a great value or it may be that you have wasted your money. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable

Old 01-13-2017, 03:18 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passenger View Post

The answer is not always toyota/honda, there acuras infiniti and lexus that make just as reliable cars. Nothing wrong with honda/toyota but they don't excite me as a brand
Well in that case, go ahead and get a new car. Look on the bright side: if you can't afford the car, it'll take them a while to repo it and if you end up dying before it's paid off, not like they can collect if you're dead.

Okay, let me educate you:

Honda=Acura
Toyota=Lexus
Nissan=Infiniti

Do you see the correlation in reliability there?

Old 01-13-2017, 05:23 PM

Armyguy, you don't even know my financial situation and i like how you assume i can't afford a 10-15k car and that it ll get repoed eventually. I also never said i was going to get a new car, now THAT would be a financial mistake.

I am aware infinity is nissan etc and that's why i keep saying those premium cars are just as reliable. Pretty much any Japanese brand is good car, luxury or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive