Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:32 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times

Advertisements

America does a fine job of restricting pollutants, but only so much can be done and still have a functioning society.
We don't get enough credit and don't push back hard enough. A quick trip to Asia with their smokey 2-stroke motorcycles everywhere and their ever present smog will convince the most cynical. We get pushed around by countries who barely have an economy and then we continuously set impossible environmental goals for ourselves, which far exceed the goals of other countries.

Shut down the EPA, please.
They can get work at a diesel car factory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 09:53 AM

29,466 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
time to buy them

Exactly. Get rid of all the emissions BS , reprogram it and have a great reliable vehicle.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:44 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
America does a fine job of restricting pollutants, but only so much can be done and still have a functioning society.
We don't get enough credit and don't push back hard enough. A quick trip to Asia with their smokey 2-stroke motorcycles everywhere and their ever present smog will convince the most cynical. We get pushed around by countries who barely have an economy and then we continuously set impossible environmental goals for ourselves, which far exceed the goals of other countries.

Shut down the EPA, please.
They can get work at a diesel car factory.
I'm glad you mentioned 2 strokes...

I used to bring my snowmobiles up to tug hill for long rides.
It Used to be fun.
The same folks who are anti pollution and anti fun that wind up in government-go right after not only hobbies but freedom as well. They hear about a kid or even a young adult or even old alike, have a wreck on a sled blame speeding blame this that and the other, enact laws that suppress in vain of the person who died. That's sickening.
One of the last times I had went they were cracking down on sleds for being "too smokey". Never used to have a speed limit through those trails, now are patrolled by police with speed limits set. Really? You don't have a drug dealer to go bust? Nope-easier to generate revenue for the state and town to go bust someone for too much smoke or going too fast. Gotta save the people from themselves and not allow any fun to be had nooo...

Better believe when the fuzz were to pursue me I outran them. Hear things like that's not smart, what if the officer wrecked and died. Ohwell. Should have had better skills. No sympathy here. Not paying a fine because I want to blast across a frozen lake or long stretch of trail wide open.

It's our lives we will live it and die it how ever we see fit. I for one will not live in a bubble or safe space.

Anyways, look at some modern two strokes from European manufacturers. KTM comes to mind. Direct injection and all the other advances in technology have yielded clean high performance 2 strokes. EPA dictated we can't have 2 strokes. From dirtbikes to sport quads boats and motorcycles. There aren't that many in comparison to other means of transportation but they're evil smokey things that need to die...
My 02 Banshee can go toe to toe with any of the new fuel injected 4 stroke offerings and be it stock or modified, beat the brakes off it in acceleration and speed. Nope can't have it anymore. It pollutes. Detrimental to the environment...

Look at 3 wheelers. I had a tri-z 250 sport trike and an atc 200 "big red" if you can keep one of those on all 3 at high rates of speeds you'll have no problems on a quad. But because people got hurt due to lack of skills/inexperience government said nope shut it down.

Look at laws we have. Seat belts-don't click it and it's a ticket. Why? Generate revenue through fines. Should be your choice whether you wear a seatbelt or not. Common sense would say wear it.

Motorcycle helmets, get caught at a gas station starting a bike while sitting on it without a helmet and the fuzz will get ya for operating without a helmet in NY state. Go to New Hampshire and Maine no helmet law. That's freedom. Then of course you'll hear the boohoo what if you wreck without a helmet. I lost a friend in a bike accident wearing a helmet. He tumbled. Centrifugal force from the weight of the helmet while tumbling severed his spinal cord at the base of his head/neck. Without the helmet yeah he'd probably have facial injuries. Maybe a fractured skull... And that isn't a one in a million freak accident. Coroners office told his parents and girlfriend they see that quite frequently. Broken neck/severed spinal cord from centrifugal force generated by the weight of the full helmet. But the safety police are against half helmets/skull caps as "they don't offer as much protection" that doesn't get published though! Because that doesn't fit the agenda of suppression through the channel of safety.

That's what I really love about Florida aside from no demonizing of sporting rifles-aka those evil black assault rifles, no helmet law and year round Harley weather.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:14 AM

Heres another fun fact.

Know how/why GM Ford Mopar operate manufacturing in foreign countries like Mexico, yet Kia Toyota BMW have manufacturing here stateside?

When you own/run a company this will make sense.

Cost of operation cost of production.
Environmentalists scream about coal powered factories to smelt iron/steel for production. You build a cleaner coal burning facility at a much higher cost to instal and utilize clean coal technology. That isn't good enough. Now you have to pay a carbon tax. Meanwhile foreign companies come in and get subsidies to start up... If that isn't the most unpatriotic thing I've ever heard I don't know what is.

Production goes to Mexico. No environmentalist to dictate how clean the facility needs to be, no union to extort from the workers in exchange for leftist votes either. Cost of production is lower, why not go to Mexico? But Toyota Kia ect have production here on American soil and are given a free pass because they employ thousands... Hypocritical much? You've taxed fined and penalized manufacturers/manufacturing out of this country contributing to lower quality products to save the manufacturer money, and contributed to a higher rate of unemployment.

For example, a simple radiator petcock/drain if it costs $.15 to make out of metal or $.05 to be made out of plastic, there's a 10 cent cost savings. Now take that savings and multiply it by 200,000 units. That's a lot of money to be saved only to be paid out to the EPA/CARB/CAFE bureaucracies that don't produce anything but more mandates.

I would have NEVER allowed a foreign company to have manufacturing on this soil. And if there was a need for it I'd place a high tariff on profits in favor of American products. Counter that with what about free market capitalism-that's not fair to Toyota Honda Subaru Kia etc. Not fair thousands lost their jobs in Detroit either now is it? Geographically at the time of the industrial revolution it made sense to have facilities to produce cars in Detroit. Coal country wasn't too far away, neither were raw materials. Now most everything is made through recycling so it doesn't make any sense to keep their base of operations in Michigan. If Ford GM Mopar were smart they'd turn to states who don't have state income taxes like Florida Texas New Hampshire.

I'm 29 and know this all is common sense but there are many who are plain ignorant to see the hypocrisy in more government/more mandates/more penalties/more taxes/more fines/MORE STATE REVENUE.

Keep complaining about how poisonous Diesel engines are and how superior the Prius and other hybrids are. Go drive a TDI jetta on a open highway outside of the comfort of your city/suburban confines and enjoy 40-50mpg. Suppress ford GM Mopar from offering those vehicles leaving it an untapped market (Chevys cruze diesel that's an impressive little car they get up and go!) to be dominated by foreign brands. If Toyota brought the Helix diesel here... If after it met the regulations set by the EPA it wouldn't yield better mileage than a choked up offering in the Ram 1500 where as in other countries with less stringent emissions get superior fuel economy.

Maybe it just makes too much sense? Then again January 20 this won't be an issue any longer.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:18 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
Yeah, lets let the big polluters foul the air even more without penalty. Good one geniuses.
Better yet hold your head under a diesel tailpipe and take big breaths.....

Old 01-13-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Yeah, lets let the big polluters foul the air even more without penalty. Good one geniuses.
Do you even know what comes out of a diesel in emissions? Or just follow blindly along like a sheep in the name of environmentalism? I choose to have a battle of the wits for I am prepared and come armed with fact not emotion and blind following. I suggest the same to you and others who share your opinion

Diesels are Cleaner than a lean burning gas engine. I'd much rather be in a room with a diesel running than a gas engine running.

Or do you not see the destruction of the economy by a greedy government entity which serves no purpose other than to extort money, in the name of environmental issues, does not produce a product yet sets mandates for products.

I would have no problems with the EPA if they used that money they extorted for gain of the environment and actually did something for the air by creating implements to clean the air say a solar powered blimp with a catalyst/ionic substrate attached to filter out those "lethal NOX Co2 and hydrocarbons and CFCs"

But noooo... Extort extort extort... Allow smog to exist but don't use that money to develop an implement to clean the air, force the manufacturer to meet ever restrictive demands and basically tell them they need to emit cleaner air than they are bringing in AND yield higher MPG ratings simultaneously. That defies logic and scientific research/studies especially when cost of implementation of emission control devices in a vehicle to emit cleaner air than what it's bringing in. Can it be done? Sure. Expensive for R+D, expensive for the manufacturer, expensive for the consumer.

Still don't believe it? When your new hybrid car has an A/C system fault and requires you to pay out of pocket to re charge the system with the new refrigerant that was developed to the tune of 90 dollars an ounce I don't want to hear it. You did it to yourself in the name of "clean air". And when those lethally poisonous batteries start filling scrap yards and really do damage to the Eco system I don't want to hear it. And when plants and people start dying off from ozone emissions from electric motors which is lethal by the way, I don't want to hear it

Old 01-13-2017, 11:52 AM

29,466 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post

Maybe we should start here instead of some guy buzzing down a snowmobile trail on a two stroke sled...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enviro...ct_of_shipping

World's 15 Biggest Ships Create More Pollution Than All The Cars In The World - Industry Tap

Old 01-13-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Maybe we should start here instead of some guy buzzing down a snowmobile trail on a two stroke sled...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enviro...ct_of_shipping

World's 15 Biggest Ships Create More Pollution Than All The Cars In The World - Industry Tap
Shhhh... Don't hit them with fact they can't comprehend it. It's anti diesel rhetoric for the agenda in the automotive/freedom restriction society.

And don't remind them a coal power plant provided them the electricity to charge their plug in hybrid. That's just evil to do! Let them push for more nuclear reactors and stew in that when cancer and genetic mutations take place due to radiation levels. At least the air will be "clean"

Old 01-13-2017, 12:04 PM

Actually I stand corrected. R1234YF costs more than 90 dollars per ounce...

By the way it's flammable, so enjoy the head on collisions with explosive/flammable results. Your "cleaner air" thanks you for the requirement of higher capacity of a new refrigerant needed to properly cool the cabin of your car opposed to R34 and R12. Your wallet will hate you.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:17 PM

Add in every good purchased in every store from produce to electronics were transported/harvested by some diesel powered implement, then wonder why cost of shipping and goods keep going up. And up. And up. And up. So Fed ex, UPS and other companies can pay to repair vehicles plagued by emissions control related device induced failures and spend more in fuel to keep utilizing diesel particulate filters to burn soot. Then cry foul when the finite resource of petroleum product-fuel is being "wasted" turning a blind eye in the name of "cleaner air".

In the words of Homer Simpson-"DOH!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive