Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 02:13 PM

635 posts, read 784,539 times

Advertisements

I kind of like diesels.But remember being in Holland,All the buidings looked kind of dirty.My relatives said it was from diesel.They were really popular because gas was more expensive.
When i see the locals change their trucks so they can roll coal as they like to do.I think they suck. You can buy a lot of gasoline for the cost difference between the engine upgrade.
I have yet to see a chart about what various fuels burn like and if one is really clean/better than the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 02:34 PM

3,499 posts, read 2,664,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post

Maybe it just makes too much sense? Then again January 20 this won't be an issue any longer.

We will never again have a polluting factory here in this very conservative Texas city. We maybe conservative, but we are not stupid, however, they may built as many as they want in your neighborhood. We will happily take the national headquarters to relocate here.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:00 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
I kind of like diesels.But remember being in Holland,All the buidings looked kind of dirty.My relatives said it was from diesel.They were really popular because gas was more expensive.
When i see the locals change their trucks so they can roll coal as they like to do.I think they suck. You can buy a lot of gasoline for the cost difference between the engine upgrade.
I have yet to see a chart about what various fuels burn like and if one is really clean/better than the rest.
Soot is just carbon due to over rich fuel conditions-rolling coal.
That's not a huge deal.

If the reports that soot is toxic to health... I should have shown health ailments related to this field at the least-5 years ago.

If soot clogs the alveoli in the lungs my endurance while running/lifting weights would be greatly reduced breathing would be laborious, as well as lower O2 content in my blood and start to develop muscular dystrophy and have breathing problems.

One dealership I worked at had a brand new multi million dollar shop for diesel only work, when they don't run properly they emit smoke. Being in NY the only way to get them up to operating temp in the winter time was to run them in the shop. Everything had a little soot covering it, not black like a chimney. I never once had a breathing issue in the shop until a failed EGR cooler came in... That burning coolant would make you gag choke cough. Good mosquito deterrent though! Oxides of nitrogen?-"green house gas" Co2-"green house gas" carbon monoxide-can't say there's 0 CO however run a gas car/truck in the shop, migraine would set in within 5 minutes. Followed by feeling tired and dizzy. Used to always yell at the car shop goons who brought cars over to use on our alignment rack idling away.

Gasoline...
I'm all for E85. Great performance out of it, cheap too. Brazil runs most everything exclusively on ethanol.

Gasoline has byproducts when burned. Carbon monoxide is the main one.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
We will never again have a polluting factory here in this very conservative Texas city. We maybe conservative, but we are not stupid, however, they may built as many as they want in your neighborhood. We will happily take the national headquarters to relocate here.
I speak of the current clean coal, that's been demonized, that's what I had suggested, moving HQ operations to non income taxed states. Clean coal and the natural gas powered steel refineries that I've seen don't make PLUMES of black smoke and they've filtered particulate matter greatly along with other issues such as heavy metals that are burned off. See scrubbing for an example. Once they've accomplished that though, why do those refineries need to pay a carbon tax to an entity that doesn't do anything beneficial for the environment? Picking up what I'm putting down?

I'm not opposed to production being in my back yard, Florida has no industry outside of retail and tourism. Skilled trades don't pay half of what they do up north but they still get the same money for goods and services as they do in the north.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:11 PM

EPA could be and should be tried under the RICO act, they operate just like the mafia-hey wanna run a business in my neighborhood (in this case country)pay me. Making money you owe me more, pay me. Or I shut you down. And destroy your business. Only instead of bats and guns they extort through laws/legislation/acts.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:24 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,741,053 times
The real story here is not that VW and Fiat-Chrysler are willing to cheat on emission testing, which is deplorable.

To me the real story is our government's and the EPA's incompetence because they are not able or willing to develop a testing method other than placing a car on a dyno and turning on the exhaust analyzer.
That method is easy and quick, but as we had seen lately, real-life results could be completely different.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
The real story here is not that VW and Fiat-Chrysler are willing to cheat on emission testing, which is deplorable.

To me the real story is our government's and the EPA's incompetence because they are not able or willing to develop a testing method other than placing a car on a dyno and turning on the exhaust analyzer.
That method is easy and quick, but as we had seen lately, real-life results could be completely different.
These same diesels test fine in Europe (They require better fuel standard that USA)

Politics...

Diesels test on a Dyno with a sniffer in our state.

My BioD / WVO burners have always registered ZERO emissions, and I can't 'Roll Coal'

When Algae fuel is commercialized we will all be able to grow our own fuel very cheap. (Works great as Jet A replacement too!). Don't hold your breath waiting, there are a lot of politics to resolve.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
I kind of like diesels....
You should like diesels a LOT, as they can be very efficient (and were not intended to ever run on Dinosaur fuel), instead...VERY low pollutant Peanut oil originally, but Rudolph Diesel mysteriously disappeared on a trans Atlantic voyage.

Heat / BTU content is 13% higher in Diesel fuel, & less energy required to refine.
What is Clean Diesel? | Diesel Technology Forum

Natural Gas is the CLEAN stuff, but does not have the energy content to be practical in all cases. . (Many Diesel trucks/ buses burn CNG in foreign lands) Stopping OFTEN for fuel!
Clean Burning Natural Gas

With choices like Biodiesel and Ethanol, what

CARB does not like diesels and will do whatever is necessary to keep them out of USA. It keeps their gov jobs.

Diesel and CARB could easily work together to WIN, and significantly reduce emissions... but that will not happen in USA. Most voters do not have a diesel, nor want one. (nor want one next door).

Old 01-13-2017, 05:41 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
Quote:
This will all be null and void come January 20th

I can't wait until the EPA becomes neutered.

Another bureaucracy to suck money out of someone. If they truly cared about the environment, that money they extort would be going to creating implements to clean the air water etc etc... But it doesn't. It serves as an evironazis extortionist entity to generate revenue through taxes, fines and penalties.

Shut it down.
Quote:
There's too much to fail to buy a modern "clean" diesel. The biggest design flaw is EGR. Being a ford diesel tech... I've seen the catastrophic failures generated by pollution control devices.

Nix the DPF destroys pickups fast (Diesel Particulate filter), nix the EGR system, utilize custom tunes not over the counter hand held programmers I'm talking strictly custom written tunes, these things as long as the oil is changed and the fuel filters are changed will run issue free and they get better fuel economy as well.

Think about it, not having a restrictive exhaust to choke it up, an EGR to recirculate abrasive soot and clog up the intake air stream, with no regen, you aren't firing the injectors on the exhaust stroke to go into regen to burn the soot out of the exhaust, wasting fuel... You're not reducing the life of the injectors either. You don't have oil being diluted by fuel causing bearing, lifter, and cylinder/piston scuffing. You don't have EGR coolers to fail and send coolant into the exhaust to REALLY pollute the atmosphere nor going into the intake stream to destroy pistons/hydro lock, or overheat and blow head gaskets. Then there's the unicorn pee that mixes into the exhaust to emit rainbows and puppy dogs from the tail pipe, adding more expense to ownership...

It's an ineffective design flaw.

Contrary to popular belief a lot of small business owners own those big evil diesel trucks, from contractors to landscapers, plumbers, electricians, and any other trade in between. Some, that diesel pickup or diesel dump truck, is their source of income. And when that truck is down for catastrophic failures waiting for parts that are back ordered due to not expecting the rate of failures these things had...
That greatly upsets me.
Of course ford will give them a rental car but how are they going to tow an excavator? How are they going to haul lumber to a construction site? Shingles and plywood to build a roof? Plow snow? Throw down salt/sand? Load up with gravel/dirt? But as long as they're not contaminating the air life is good. Nobody stops and thinks about that one or even gives that any consideration.

I would own a diesel truck no questions asked. I wouldn't own one with emissions control devices that's for sure. I don't need a diesel. If I had a need for one... I'd have a 6.0 with stacks EGR delete studded. Truck would probably run for half a million miles or more with nothing more than general maintenance.

EPA needs to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
agree.

Let's hope the new business oriented administration will trim back all the stupid tax grabs created by the previous priority on government dependency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
America does a fine job of restricting pollutants, but only so much can be done and still have a functioning society.
We don't get enough credit and don't push back hard enough. A quick trip to Asia with their smokey 2-stroke motorcycles everywhere and their ever present smog will convince the most cynical. We get pushed around by countries who barely have an economy and then we continuously set impossible environmental goals for ourselves, which far exceed the goals of other countries.

Shut down the EPA, please.
They can get work at a diesel car factory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Exactly. Get rid of all the emissions BS , reprogram it and have a great reliable vehicle.
These responses are prime examples of why compulsory education is necessary.

Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.

When private industry is left to "police" itself, we get incidents like:

Environmentalism History: The Importance of Cleveland's Cuyahoga River

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Canal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Donora_smog

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin...l_slurry_spill

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingst...h_slurry_spill

Not to mention all the rest:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Superfund_sites

History has shown us time after time that left to its own devices, private industry will only be environmentally responsible if there is "enough" profit to be gleaned from doing so or the fines paid for violating the laws cut too much into the bottom line.

No, folks, it's not time to abolish the EPA or curtail its powers in any way.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:13 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
...................No, folks, it's not time to abolish the EPA or curtail its powers in any way.
.... And you were doing so well up until the end.

You gotta ask yourself, "Why would a president that smokes have anyone's ear when it comes to environmental protection?" He shouldn't.
The EPA has become a political tool, and little else. Laws should be made by congress, not various departments.

FYI: The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (1976) gives the EPA its power. Passed by congress, it sets a fine standard. Unfortunately, the EPA has been used as a tool to go around congress, and has become the bureaucratic version of Frankenstein.
It should be put back in its cage before it kills us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive