Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 09:58 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username00 View Post
Ok so I'm just going to wait until he contacts us (if he does) because most of you didn't even read my post. We did contact the police and they did show up. Insurance info was swapped and we both agreed it was no big deal. The damage was nothing more than scuffing. What a waste of time you guys are. I'll find help elsewhere.
"I'll find help elsewhere "..

You( like many other posters who start a thread) are not looking for "help".

You are only looking for other posters to justify your actions as you try to weasel out of obligations.

same old, same old
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 10:09 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It's almost comical how afraid people are of "calling the Insurance company".
One at fault accident does not make you high risk nor does it mean your insurance is going to automatically go up.
After 30 years of being claim-free on all of my policies (auto, motorcycle, home) and no tickets for the same length of time, I hit a deer at walking speed (I saw him coming). Damage was very minor - about $1500 to replace and paint the bumper cover. I paid the $500 deductible, so the insurance company was out about $1,000. They raised my insurance premium immediately. You read that right. With a stellar claims/violation history, my auto insurance premium went up due to a minor comprehensive claim enough to cover their losses in less than a year. I filed a complaint with the state insurance commissioner and my insurance company "reconsidered" their position. The entire situation was anything but "comical".

Bottom line - people are afraid to notify their insurance company for good reason.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:23 AM

But if someone's wife doesn't/can't keep her car in her lane and hits me..........I will turn it into my insurance company so I get my car repaired and my insurance company collects all expenses from the other careless driver.

I have done this in the past and my rates never went up as I was not at fault.

My insurance agent told me one of the advantages of having collision insurance is that if someone hits me and I am not at fault, MY insurance company acts as my lawyer to collect from the negligent party's insurance.

W/o collision, I have to fight the negligent party's insurance on my own.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:34 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
After 30 years of being claim-free on all of my policies.

Name names.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:46 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Name names.
State Farm.

They quietly implemented a change to auto insurance policies (in my state, at least) a couple of years ago raising rates for comprehensive claims. My insurance agent had received so many complaints that she actually sent me the required forms to file a complaint with the state insurance commissioner.

Apparently, a claim of only $750 is enough for State Farm to raise your rates.

https://www.sapling.com/7814427/do-s...-car-insurance

Old 01-14-2017, 11:34 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
The person who caused the accident should always get a police report because if the victim goes and damages his beater some more after the fact, you could be screwed a lot more money.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:45 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
State Farm.
I knew you were going to say that. State Farm has always had a low tolerance for less then perfect drivers. It's their niche. Progressive wouldn't have raised your rate.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
The person who caused the accident should always get a police report because if the victim goes and damages his beater some more after the fact, you could be screwed a lot more money.

not unless the person causing the accident really has no intention of paying for the damage he caused to the other car.

The OP seems to reinterate that both parties should pay for their own car's damage even though it was his wife who caused it.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:48 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Ok so I'm just going to wait until he contacts us (if he does) because most of you didn't even read my post. We did contact the police and they did show up. Insurance info was swapped and we both agreed it was no big deal. The damage was nothing more than scuffing. What a waste of time you guys are. I'll find help elsewhere.
This "question" was a waste of time.
Wife got in an accident. We agreed to handle things without insurance. What should I do if he becomes a jerk?

Nothing you wrote makes me think this guy is at all sketchy. He's probably happy you are going to fix his car. Do what you said you would and I'm sure you'll have no problem. You're worrying over nothing.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:14 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Quote:
People here told you to do the right thing. But you're obviously not interested in that so we're "no help" to you. You weren't looking for help, you were looking for like minded people like yourself with poor ethics and poor personal responsibility to justify your course of action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
"I'll find help elsewhere "..

You( like many other posters who start a thread) are not looking for "help".

You are only looking for other posters to justify your actions as you try to weasel out of obligations.

same old, same old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive