Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 06:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

If I bought a 2WD truck again I would immediately install a Air locker or electronic locker in the rear. Throw on some good AT tires and good shocks. If you really want to go all out a front receiver and a removable winch.
That will take you to most places and get you out if you get stuck without any problems.
2WD truck with alocking rear diff can go in a lot of places. I buy 4wd trucks with limited slip rear axles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 07:07 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
I had one of these trucks previously. I think most folks already covered what you get. You'll get "upgraded" Rough Country shocks (which completely suck), tow hooks, and a few other knick knacks that aren't really that valuable.

The OR package should have given you an electronic locking differential though... kind of surprised when you say yours doesn't have it.

As for taking it in water.... I would be extremely hesitant until you make SURE your wheel seals aren't leaking and your axle vent isn't clogged. Titans were notorious for blowing rear wheel seals because either the check valve wasn't installed or has become clogged, thus building excess diff fluid pressure. At a minimum I would run a vent hose from the axle vent (check valve) to behind the tail light to get it up out of the water. I replaced both wheel seals twice on my Titan and it is a pain in the rear to do... and not that cheap. The check valve is open to the elements and can become clogged up very easily from road debris.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:08 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,286 times
It was pretty well covered. You should have the e-locker as well. the button is just ahead of the shifter, below the AC controls, down by the cigarette lighter. It'll look like this:

LEARN WHEN AND HOW TO USE IT.

Asides from that, the off road package in '04 included tow hooks, "upgraded" shocks, "off road" wheels with all terrain tires, and a few other small upgrades.

The '04 has two common issues, long term. One is the exhaust headers. They will crack, if they haven't already. The replacement headers will also crack. Might as well do the job right, once, and get some good aftermarket ones.

The other common issue is actually with the rear diff. The later models had some "cooling fins" off the rear diff cover, but the earlier models didn't. The diff is prone to overheating, especially if you go cruising around with the diff locked (hint: NEVER use it on pavement!). It's pretty easy to swap out, but of course removing the rear diff cover will require draining and refilling the differential fluid -- might as well go for a quality synthetic while you're in there. Another common modification, usually done at the same time, is the "diff breather mod". Even though the truck is labeled as an "off road" version, the breather on the differential is on the case. That means, if you go into water / mud higher than your axles, you'll get it in your diff. The breather mod basically involves buying some tubing from a parts store, connecting it to the breather, and routing it up to the gas cap. Sort of like breathing through a straw, this will let you go through deeper stuff, and completely submerge your differential.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:53 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
It was pretty well covered. You should have the e-locker as well. the button is just ahead of the shifter, below the AC controls, down by the cigarette lighter. It'll look like this:

LEARN WHEN AND HOW TO USE IT.

Asides from that, the off road package in '04 included tow hooks, "upgraded" shocks, "off road" wheels with all terrain tires, and a few other small upgrades.

The '04 has two common issues, long term. One is the exhaust headers. They will crack, if they haven't already. The replacement headers will also crack. Might as well do the job right, once, and get some good aftermarket ones.

The other common issue is actually with the rear diff. The later models had some "cooling fins" off the rear diff cover, but the earlier models didn't. The diff is prone to overheating, especially if you go cruising around with the diff locked (hint: NEVER use it on pavement!). It's pretty easy to swap out, but of course removing the rear diff cover will require draining and refilling the differential fluid -- might as well go for a quality synthetic while you're in there. Another common modification, usually done at the same time, is the "diff breather mod". Even though the truck is labeled as an "off road" version, the breather on the differential is on the case. That means, if you go into water / mud higher than your axles, you'll get it in your diff. The breather mod basically involves buying some tubing from a parts store, connecting it to the breather, and routing it up to the gas cap. Sort of like breathing through a straw, this will let you go through deeper stuff, and completely submerge your differential.
Nope. Just a VDC and TOW switch. I'm thinking because it's a 4X2 it didn't come with a locking differential. There are 3 switches just like yours but my first switch is a blank piece of plastic ( just a cover) then TOW then VDC.

Last edited by Iam4USC; 01-16-2017 at 01:16 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Nope. Just a VDC and TOW switch. I'm thinking because it's a 4X2 it didn't come with a locking differential. There are 3 switches just like yours but my first switch is a blank piece of plastic ( just a cover) then TOW then VDC.

Cab591 makes some good points about that diff though. Make SURE you listen. This will haunt you if you don't. The rear axle is a Dana 44 variant designed by Nissan and built by Dana. The overheating that he is referring to will cause your axle seals to blow. I woke up the first time to find my rear brakes completely soaked in fluid as well as the inside of my wheels. The second time I caught it a little earlier and was able to get them replaced (and discovered the issue) as I noticed some damp residue around the seals.

The finned diff cover does help, but make sure to install that vent tubing as well. Some axles didn't even have a vent installed, but instead just a plug. It looks like there are a couple of options for routing the tubing, but the end goal is to ensure it is higher than any water you may ever cross.

The seals are around $30 each or less, but it requires pulling the axles out of the housing to replace them. If they have leaked, and soaked your brakes, you'll need new pads as well. It cost me about $250 each time I had it done. If they leak for too long and you run out of fluid, you can burn up the rear diff. If water gets in, it can mess up the axles and the gearing.

The finned cover is around $70 if you need to replace it.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:04 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,606 times
I have ruled out the water trail if it is deeper than the axel.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:26 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Probably a skid plate, some stiffer suspension.

DO NOT take your truck to the Outer Banks without 4x4.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I have ruled out the water trail if it is deeper than the axel.

Probably a wise decision. I would still check that vent though. The preventative maintenance you more than likely need to do now is much cheaper than down the road. Trust me on that one. I would have saved over $500 had someone told me.

You may just need to pull out that check valve and make sure it is clear of debris and functional and then just install some vent tubing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive