U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2017, 09:44 AM

17,651 posts, read 11,572,732 times

Advertisements

So I wasn't able to find a clean Protégé or a Mazda 3 in this area that tickled my fancy.

HOWEVER, what I did find more then tickles it! Ran across a 2005 Subaru Forester XT WITH a 5 speed I knew they were around but never saw one myself. Got a really good price on the car it's got less then 100K on it. Just one model down from the L.L Bean edition not that I cared for it but it's loaded with all the toys that I care to have, wish it didn't have leather seats though.

Whoever had the car added a CAI (cold air intake) Never cared for them myself doesn't do anything but make noise anyhow. The car is running a bit lean because of it so I plan to take it out & put the original air box back in it. They took out the fog lights when they put the CAI in it which I want the fog light in this area you need them. No, turbo lag that I can feel but around 3800-4000 RPM the car presses you into the seat & your off. Not a Porsche turbo but smooth & progressive.

Hope we got more snow..would be more then fun.

The thing is FAST like a AWD freight train! Even if 5th on the interstate there is more then enough power to pass just about anything. It's an odd color even the dealer isn't sure what color is so they put silver on the title. Looks like a soft silver/greenish. Overall we're more then pleased with the car I posted a picture its' not OUR car but the color & the wheels is the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Newish car...-gw_640.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 11:07 AM

4,601 posts, read 4,528,289 times
Just be careful about head gasket issues. Subaru's from that era are notorious for them.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:22 AM

7,852 posts, read 8,328,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Just be careful about head gasket issues. Subaru's from that era are notorious for them.
What preventative maintenance would one do to avoid this?

Old 01-16-2017, 11:26 AM

3,762 posts, read 3,031,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
S It's an odd color even the dealer isn't sure what color is so they put silver on the title. Looks like a soft silver/greenish. Overall we're more then pleased with the car I posted a picture its' not OUR car but the color & the wheels is the same.
That color is called "champagne gold."

Champagne hues were an option for a lot of Asian makes from the mid 90's to mid 00's.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:45 AM

4,601 posts, read 4,528,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
What preventative maintenance would one do to avoid this?
Keep eye on coolant level and change them at 20-30K with OEM coolant. Otherwise it is a design flaw and more than likely will fail on you

Old 01-16-2017, 11:51 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,682,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Ran across a 2005 Subaru Forester XT WITH a 5 speed
Pretty sure that's a Legacy Outback.

Good find, though! About the only thing to worry about is head gaskets. Also, with the turbo motor, keep it topped up with premium fuel, it knows the difference! That could actually be what's causing it to run lean. If the previous owner (or dealer, wherever you bought it) filled it with the cheap stuff, the ECU notices, and restricts fuel.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:29 PM

17,651 posts, read 11,572,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
Pretty sure that's a Legacy Outback.

Good find, though! About the only thing to worry about is head gaskets. Also, with the turbo motor, keep it topped up with premium fuel, it knows the difference! That could actually be what's causing it to run lean. If the previous owner (or dealer, wherever you bought it) filled it with the cheap stuff, the ECU notices, and restricts fuel.
My typo it's an Outback. I will admit on the second test drive the salesman did put gas in it and I'm betting it was the cheap stuff. I put gas in it today and used premium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive