Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 09:28 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times

Advertisements

The BMW fan boys and girls will keep on buying them anyway. The are all overly rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 02:22 PM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
Look, B.M.W. is a GERMAN company....

What they do and where they produce is of little consequence to me.

The question should not be.... What do Americans think about the Mexican plant.

The question should be.... What do the GERMAN workers think of the Mexican plant.

All I see here is more anti Trump rhetoric.

Then don't put a tariff on BMW, a German company, who wants to build cars in Mexico and sell them into the US. You are just making products unattainable for Americans now. Isn't that going by your logic?

Old 01-21-2017, 03:51 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I think there's plenty of us that would prefer you not call us "folks" as if you are our buddy and you are alerting us to a potential Trump-bashing thread. .

I am the proud owner of an older German luxury vehicle that was made in Germany 25 years ago by a highly skilled German workforce. We use this car nearly daily.

I am not so sure that I should trust angry, anti-Obama rednecks to build the same quality of vehicle that Germans make, especially when the folks in the red states know that the car they are working on is destined (by virtue of all the specific smog-equipment required on the vehicle) to handle vehicles destined for California with loving care and I think there are some rabidly angry workers who might even actually sabotage a car destined for "the liberal West."

So I will look for cars (foreign or domestic) made in Blue States (maybe a Tesla, made here in California) or pick up a car made in Germany that is prepared for California.

I am not interested in the BMW X-3.
Triggered and projecting. Good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
They're not angry, they're blissfully ignorant. Blissfully ignorant they are doing the same job as workers in Detroit, Germany for a fraction of the pay. Blissfully ignorant that next to Mexican auto laborers they are the low hanging fruit.
I'm not sure you get the concept, but COL kinda dictates wages. I've seen it elsewhere on these forums that gubmint drones are shocked that folks make a healthy living not making $100K away from the left or right coast, but it happens. Some folks don't pay $1000/month to live in a 9x10 closet, a la Manhattan.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:21 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Actually, China became the largest car market in 2009 and has been so since then:

China Extends Lead As World
Calling China a "car market" is a stretch.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:24 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Then don't put a tariff on BMW, a German company, who wants to build cars in Mexico and sell them into the US. You are just making products unattainable for Americans now. Isn't that going by your logic?
Don't cry for BMW buyers. Tariffs make them feel even more exclusive. BMW already has plants in this country. Why not build the new ones there too?

Old 01-24-2017, 07:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Don't cry for BMW buyers. Tariffs make them feel even more exclusive. BMW already has plants in this country. Why not build the new ones there too?
Well, in part because they already spent hundreds of millions on the plant in Mexico. In part because the US is so over-regulated it makes it hard to build a plant here and hard to staff it. However auto plants really do not mean much for jobs anymore. They are automated. If you want to promote jobs, you need to prevent them from building new plants anywhere and prevent retooling old ones.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:56 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,232,241 times
Of when here is a novelty that Mexico has plants of cars?

Ford was established in Mexico in 1906 GM in 1935 since then they make cars for Mexico but mostly to USA market.

Since long before NAFTA made cars in Mexico makes sense for all brands, Nissan, VW, and now the Asian manufactures in Mexico because it is a great platform to export their units to the world.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:46 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Thanks for "cherry" picking the Chery QQ3 that isn't even sold in China anymore and the one you showed is registered in Pakistan.

The Chinese automobile market is 21 million strong and the top 10 selling cars old are compact sedans from VW, Buick, Nissan, Hyundai, GM/Baojun, and Toyota, a minivan from Wulling, and crossovers from Haval and GAC. Note that most of the brands are well known to us.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:43 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The 3 series plant is being built in Mexico in order to take advantage of the free trade agreements Mexico has with dozens of countries that the US does not. By producing the 3 series in Mexico, BMW saves the duties charged by those countries and makes the 3 series less expensive to the middle class in those nations.
This is correct. BMW, Ford, and FIA all have made significant moves to put the smaller vehicles production in Mexico where they can ship without significant tariffs to South America, where small cars are popular. SUV production has been moved to US facilities due to demand for - SUV's! Lowers cost of production, puts production closer to market, and reduces cost of shipping/tariffs. Win - win - win.

Additionally, anyone who thinks these decisions have been made strictly due to Trump is delusional. These decisions take months, if not years, to plan and gain approval from legal and corporate entities.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:48 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Quote:
Thinking it isn't is absurd. Largest population base in the world developing a growing infrastructure with need to move people that incidentally love the idea of personal mobility....

As robr already pointed out, it is the largest market in the world, and growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive