Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 05:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't trust anyone to drive it. My buddy shipped a boat from SanDiego to Washington state for $750
I estimate it's most likely going to run $1000. I would look into a car carrier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 05:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
A few months ago, my wife and I flew to California to pickup our new car and drove it back home to Texas. With airlines, gas, hotels, and meals, the cost was a little more than a carrier would charge for delivery. We took time up in the wine country and sight seeing along the coast.
My twin daughters, an exchange student from Taiwan, and I did this with my 1995 Camrao Z28. Brought it back from California to Michgian. Took about ten days. Maybe spent $800. It was one of the most memorable events of our lives. Our exchange student got to see Grand Canyon, a native american reservation, Las Vegas, Anasazi ruins, a wierd hole thingy called the breath of God, petrified forest, painted desert, Nashville, mamoth caves. Plus Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, California, Nevada, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas. How many Americans have seen that much?

I would choose driving over flying any day if it is practical.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:10 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My twin daughters, an exchange student from Taiwan, and I did this with my 1995 Camrao Z28. Brought it back from California to Michgian. Took about ten days. Maybe spent $800. It was one of the most memorable events of our lives. Our exchange student got to see Grand Canyon, a native american reservation, Las Vegas, Anasazi ruins, a wierd hole thingy called the breath of God, petrified forest, painted desert, Nashville, mamoth caves. Plus Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, California, Nevada, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas. How many Americans have seen that much?

I wish I had the time to do something like that. Maybe I will after I retire.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:47 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I took the first poster's advice and gave my details to Reliable Carriers. We then received (unsolicited) quotes from seven other shippers. Reliable quoted enclosed carrier and obviously would be very good, except that this is a ten year old Ford and almost not worth the cost quoted.

The others who quoted were about half the price quoted by Reliable; an open carrier in each case. It seems I have unlocked the mother lode of car carriers, all of whom quoted within $500 of each other ($1000-$1500). Are there people out there who have had good - or bad - experience with any of the following: Movewheels.com; Passage Auto Transport; Xpress Transportation; Dixon Worldwide Logistics Inc; Stateway Auto Transport.

I will also contact Reliable and see if they will quote an open carrier, mainly because of the good report by the first poster.

Thanks again for so much help. We thought (at least my husband thought) of driving the thing up but I vetoed it - we are the age where we have no business doing that.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:56 PM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I took the first poster's advice and gave my details to Reliable Carriers. We then received (unsolicited) quotes from seven other shippers. Reliable quoted enclosed carrier and obviously would be very good, except that this is a ten year old Ford and almost not worth the cost quoted.

The others who quoted were about half the price quoted by Reliable; an open carrier in each case. It seems I have unlocked the mother lode of car carriers, all of whom quoted within $500 of each other ($1000-$1500). Are there people out there who have had good - or bad - experience with any of the following: Movewheels.com; Passage Auto Transport; Xpress Transportation; Dixon Worldwide Logistics Inc; Stateway Auto Transport.

I will also contact Reliable and see if they will quote an open carrier, mainly because of the good report by the first poster.

Thanks again for so much help. We thought (at least my husband thought) of driving the thing up but I vetoed it - we are the age where we have no business doing that.
I made the giant mistake of leaving a phone number with a company that searches shipping companies for a quote. Got non stop calls and texts. Go with a cheaper open air trailer with your cars age/condition. Reliable is on the higher end as they are known to ship nicer cars in enclosed trailers.

Last edited by wamer27; 01-16-2017 at 08:14 PM..

Old 01-16-2017, 07:00 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Yes, I noticed the phone calls coming in. Fortunately, we are not there - we are at our winter place! So they are there filling up the answering machine, I guess.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:54 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
It will help if you are going someplace cool.
I took many cross country trips in my early 20's, lot of cool things to see throughout the country even if it's just different scenery but you have to get off the Interstates and travel the byroads.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:58 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Our exchange student got to see Grand Canyon, a native american reservation, Las Vegas, Anasazi ruins, a wierd hole thingy called the breath of God, petrified forest, painted desert, Nashville, mamoth caves. Plus Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, California, Nevada, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas. How many Americans have seen that much?

I've actually been to most of those places. My cousin used to go out Arizona after Christmas and work there until May. I'd drive out with him from Pennsylvanian, 4 or 5 days.... I'd take a plane back and head back out late May and we do a slow trip back for a week or two. Different ways each time.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:29 PM

173 posts, read 111,304 times
Altair Global Relocation Ratings, Reviews, Peoria, Arizona
If you din't find anyone yet, try these as well. It will not be cheap. Anywhere from $900 to $2000. Usually cash is only option, half when they pick up half when they delivery. You better have someone you trust receive your delivered car.
Wish you luck.
I also may need similar service soon, from NW to MW.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:43 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
Is a military base in your area? Advertise looking for someone to drive the car. Pay the expense and put some bucks in their pocket. Someone may have some leave time to kill so it's win-win.

Also if a military person does something out of line their commander won't want to hear it. Test the waters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive