Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 08:03 PM

4 posts, read 4,581 times

Advertisements

First time driving this much I am moving to a new city, and would like to drive my car the 1,400 miles along I-80.

It's an 11 year old Toyota Corolla with 132,000 miles, never had major issues.

2 months ago
Had an oil change and have less than 1,500 miles left before needing my next oil change.
I have about 1,7000 miles left before needing a tire rotation.

5 months ago
Got a manufacturer's maintenance check (replaced the serpentine belt, cabin filter, cleaned battery terminal and flushed the throttle)

In 2015
The mechanic said my rear brake pads were at 30%. The other pads are new.

The trip is broken over 2 days, with 700-900 miles the second day. I'll be on the freeway most of the time, going 60-80mph.

Should I get a pre-trip maintenance check or just go?

I have Triple AAA insurance with towing and disabled car service.

Last edited by wolverine2144; 01-16-2017 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: Added car mileage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 08:13 PM

2,163 posts, read 3,100,584 times
How many miles total on the car? When does the manufacturer recommend the timing belt be changed?

Old 01-16-2017, 08:13 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,874,400 times
Any particular concern you have that it may have trouble?

I would not have much concern with an 11 year old car that is running well, and has been receiving it's required maintenance right along. There is always some risk of an issue of course and an inspection could turn up a ripped CV boot or something or other, but chances are if all seems well then you will be ok.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:15 PM

995 posts, read 993,306 times
Welcome to C-D! How about a rep to get you started.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
How many miles total on the car? When does the manufacturer recommend the timing belt be changed?
Oh, I forgot to include that info. I have 132,000 miles on the Toyota.

I believe my mechanic said it has a timing chain that doesn't ever need replacing. A timing belt is not listed in my manufacturer's book. Just lists an inspection of parts for 135,000 miles (axles, ball joints, etc.)

I edited my original post to include the mileage now

Old 01-16-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theedgeoflight View Post
Welcome to C-D! How about a rep to get you started.
Thanks! I don't know what a rep is but I've always been reading advice on threads here preparing for my move, so I decided to join.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Any particular concern you have that it may have trouble?

I would not have much concern with an 11 year old car that is running well, and has been receiving it's required maintenance right along. There is always some risk of an issue of course and an inspection could turn up a ripped CV boot or something or other, but chances are if all seems well then you will be ok.
Okay, thanks for taking the time to post a response! I've always been on top of maintenance and don't have a real concern, except maybe the "brake pads at 30%" in 2015. I don't know much about cars or have experience with long road trips.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:34 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,772,621 times
I would absolutely get the car checked out.

I have a 2014 Toyota with only 6K miles on it and I'd get it checked out before taking a one-day trip like that.

It's cheap insurance.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:35 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,874,400 times
Ok. Well, a checkup never hurts anything. Costs a couple bucks but if it gives you peace of mind it may be worth it. Doesn't sound like you should be more at risk for anything other than having an older, moderate mileage car. Maybe having it looked over is a good idea, since you do not have much familiarity with the mechanical workings.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:11 PM

17,382 posts, read 14,919,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine2144 View Post
Okay, thanks for taking the time to post a response! I've always been on top of maintenance and don't have a real concern, except maybe the "brake pads at 30%" in 2015. I don't know much about cars or have experience with long road trips.
The things that you should probably have them check.. And, I agree with the above two that it makes sense to have it done, just the basics.. Check/top off fluids, which probably isn't needed since it was (in theory) done at the last oil change.. Inspect the radiator hoses, inspect the serpentine belt. Those 2 right there are the things that are probably most likely to happen that you could prevent.

A good shop, you could probably drive up, pop the hood, they'd look at the belt and hoses and if they're fine, not even charge you.. Because that's literally a 2 minute thing to do. If you trust whoever has done your oil changes so far as topping off fluids.

Anything else.. Look.. Crap happens. That's why you have the AAA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive