U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2008, 11:31 AM

248 posts, read 819,640 times

Advertisements

Hi there..we are moving to a new home within the next couple of months. Simultaneously, my car lease is up and we realize that buying is a much better value than leasing. Further, we know that buying a gently used car (2-3 years old) is a great value for a good car. We also need a train car, for my husband's new "10 minutes to the railroad" commute. I have a longer commute, and the car we buy for me will also be our going out on the weekends, etc. car. I feel like I don't know where to start, but get a lot of opinions. We have a 2005 Altima now..any suggestions for anything would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 03:52 PM

6,351 posts, read 20,387,597 times
LIPumpkin, if hubby will only use his car for the commute to the train station, what about him finding someone to commute with? When I was stationed in Idaho, I was in a car pool with three other people. One of us always could drive if the guy who primarily drove couldn't make it. Thia may be a moot point if you really need two cars in the family but might be worth looking in to. If you need to buy a car, would something small like the Chevy Aveo work? It runs about $10,000 new. Best of luck!

Old 03-01-2008, 03:56 PM

5,273 posts, read 13,556,836 times
If you want quality, gas milage but a slightly smaller car, I'd suggest a Corolla. We get 42MPG (5-speed) in ours on the freeway at 60mph.

If you want something larger I'd seggest a Camry with the 4-cylander engine. My inlaws get about 33MPG in theirs.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:06 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,678,072 times
What exactly do you need for your "weekend" car? What's your budget? Would it be adequate to buy out the Altima you're presently leasing?

As for the commute-to-the-train-station car, presuming cargo room isn't an issue since that'd be covered by your 'weekend car,' I'd get something cheap and dinky like a Toyota Yaris or a Honda Fit.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:17 PM

248 posts, read 819,640 times
Hi again all..thanks for responding..as for the weekend/my commute car, we are looking to be at about $15,000 and for his car, we were not looking for anything new (maybe $5,000 tops!). Would love a carpool, but where we are moving, we don't know anyone, plus where we are living, I think two cars would be helpful. I was kind of looking at the Subaru Forester for me, and maybe a small car like a Sentra for him...then I thought the Forester was too "mom" as I am not there yet...thanks for letting me ramble...keep the ideas, coming..we are in the research phase and open-minded...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive