Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 08:53 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,994 times

Advertisements

You know the snow, dirt, sand, and dirt that gets up in and around your wheel during the winter meetings months.

There is nothing more satisfying than kicking off that snowy dirt buildup than having it fall in a big clump to the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 12:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Be Careful what you wish for...

I crossed a RR track in ole Number 13 late one winter night @ about 63 MPH (full throttle 2200 RPM in 4-53 Scream'n Jimmy')

The ICE broke / fell out of the front wheel fenders and it was "LIGHTS-OUT". Unfortunately a CSP was meeting me, so.... forced me to stop and FIX it in a howling blizzard.

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...lion-miles.jpg

2) ... I flew into MSP late one Friday night and set out for WA in a 'new-2-me' $1200 Evil Passat TDI, 2200 miles of snow / blizzard, and I got STUCK 40 miles from home due to your picture (PACKED snow / ice around tires) the 'splash guards' acted as 'scoop shovels' and WET snow drug me to a stop on a steep 2 lane hill.

(down 1/8th tank of fuel @ 227 miles... 1200 + per fill, combined WINTER mileage shows 47.1mpg (over 2000 miles summary)
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...down-1-8th.jpg

Old 01-20-2017, 01:12 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
I'm in Phoenix, AZ. I get a good laugh out of all you having to put up with that stuff. I know you laugh at us in the Summer, its payback in the Winter. I don't want any of you to get hurt from it, (I lived in MN for 10 years, I know it sucks), I just laugh that you are stuck inside too. (We use the AC, you use the fireplace).

As for kicking the snow off the wheel wells, I did enjoy that; as if you were making your car noticeably lighter, so much that you were gonna get better fuel mileage. I would get pissed at people who wouldn't clean it off there roofs. Ive seen that stuff fly off trucks, and smash a windshield once.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:53 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
i have never had snow bunch up in my wheel wells like that, but i have had snow build up on the surface of my vehicles before. i have also had cars encased in ice up to a 1/4" thick. getting that off was an interesting exercise.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:30 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,379,498 times
I'd much rather be sweeping Beach Sand from my Floor Mats....but yes, I do kick that stuff off

Old 01-20-2017, 07:12 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
[quote=adriver;46890363] I just laugh that you are stuck inside too. (We use the AC, you use the fireplace).[quote]

No. We cannot fall prey to the "Stuck inside" thing. The biggest issue about winter is lack of sunlight not cold. If you stay inside when the sun is out, you will miss the sunlight, get S.A.D. and have a miserable 6 months. We do not have the luxury of "Stuck inside" that you furnace dwellers have. We have to get out and embrace the winter. Cannot afford to miss 10 seconds of sunshine - when there is sunshine. (maybe that should be IF

Old 01-20-2017, 07:54 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Be Careful what you wish for...

I crossed a RR track in ole Number 13 late one winter night @ about 63 MPH (full throttle 2200 RPM in 4-53 Scream'n Jimmy')

The ICE broke / fell out of the front wheel fenders and it was "LIGHTS-OUT". Unfortunately a CSP was meeting me, so.... forced me to stop and FIX it in a howling blizzard.

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...lion-miles.jpg

2) ... I flew into MSP late one Friday night and set out for WA in a 'new-2-me' $1200 Evil Passat TDI, 2200 miles of snow / blizzard, and I got STUCK 40 miles from home due to your picture (PACKED snow / ice around tires) the 'splash guards' acted as 'scoop shovels' and WET snow drug me to a stop on a steep 2 lane hill.

(down 1/8th tank of fuel @ 227 miles... 1200 + per fill, combined WINTER mileage shows 47.1mpg (over 2000 miles summary)
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...down-1-8th.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by being careful of what you wish for? I just kick the snow off around my tires when in my driveway.

Not sure why you posted the other information? Yes we all know that driving in the snow can be dangerous, but that was not the point of my thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
I'm in Phoenix, AZ. I get a good laugh out of all you having to put up with that stuff. I know you laugh at us in the Summer, its payback in the Winter. I don't want any of you to get hurt from it, (I lived in MN for 10 years, I know it sucks), I just laugh that you are stuck inside too. (We use the AC, you use the fireplace).

As for kicking the snow off the wheel wells, I did enjoy that; as if you were making your car noticeably lighter, so much that you were gonna get better fuel mileage. I would get pissed at people who wouldn't clean it off there roofs. Ive seen that stuff fly off trucks, and smash a windshield once.

Hurt from what? Snow flying off vehicles? I agree. People need to clear off their vehicles, but that was not the point of my thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I'd much rather be sweeping Beach Sand from my Floor Mats....but yes, I do kick that stuff off
Of course you keep kick it off, but do you enjoy doing it?

Old 01-20-2017, 08:09 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I actually enjoy kicking the ice build up off. I prefer to not do it in my driveway though.

With my AWD car, it used to build up in all 4 wheel wells. The two in the rear would freeze when I shut the car off and then when I'd restart the exhaust would contact it and I'd have a buzzing noise until the exhaust got hot enough to start melting it. If it was really cold this would take a while so I'd get out and kick it off.

Now I'm FWD. Just gotta worry about the fronts.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:21 AM

217 posts, read 237,575 times
I dislike EVERYTHING to do with snow, ice, cold, or winter.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:26 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I actually enjoy kicking the ice build up off. I prefer to not do it in my driveway though.
(snip).
I agree.

I always try kick it off on the street or in a parking lot. And, I certainly do not let it just melt off in the garage (what a mess!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive