Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:48 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,202,682 times

Advertisements

So people keep saying add dry gas to prevent starting problems in the car. But there's all sorts of things - none actually say dry gas. Dollar tree has a bunch of stuff for a buck - injection cleaner, gas treatment, something else. Is it all the same stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 11:11 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Dry gas is a type of alcohol, like isopropyl. It's used when you suspect water in the fuel.

Injection cleaner and gas treatment are meant to have detergent action.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:49 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
So people keep saying add dry gas to prevent starting problems in the car. But there's all sorts of things - none actually say dry gas. Dollar tree has a bunch of stuff for a buck - injection cleaner, gas treatment, something else. Is it all the same stuff?

Others have stated to never ever use Dry Gas that has alcohol in it. There are two types.

The carb/injection cleaners at the dollar stores - the green stores - for a $1.00 are just fine.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:26 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Others have stated to never ever use Dry Gas that has alcohol in it. There are two types.

The carb/injection cleaners at the dollar stores - the green stores - for a $1.00 are just fine.
Dry gas can contain either methanol or isopropyl alcohol - there's your two types. I've never heard of dry gas that didn't have alcohol in it.

The vast majority of gasoline today contains 10% ethanol. Ethanol is a type of alcohol, so I find it puzzling to advise not to use dry gas containing alcohol.

Ethanol does not encapsulate moisture like isopropyl, so if there's water in your fuel it'll separate. That's a big problem for boaters, which is why they sell non-ethanol fuel for boats at marinas and such. Whereas isopropyl alcohol will keep the water blended with the fuel and burn through the engine.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Dry gas is a type of alcohol, like isopropyl. It's used when you suspect water in the fuel.

Injection cleaner and gas treatment are meant to have detergent action.
Thank you!

They told me to add dry gas because of a non start problem when its really cold. The thing starts right up out of the driveway but then if I go a short distance and run into a place for 20 minutes - come out - no start. Charging system tests fine. Just replaced the fuel pump due to an engine light - which - still comes on sometimes so NOT the fuel pump. Was just told the car doesn't get enough use and the cold does something - short trips - fix is dry gas. So I guess that's the gas treatment bottle then.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

Oh - ok - just saw this post now. I'll have to look at the ingredients then.

BTW - tried to give you rep but apparently I gave out too much already - gotta wait 24 hrs but I'll be back

Old 01-31-2017, 06:28 AM

572 posts, read 435,572 times
If condensation occurs, doesn't the water separate to tgebottom of the tank as gas is heavier than water?

I put two cans SeaFoam in a car I suspected had bad and or watery gas, and that helped it run the tank through.

Makes me think of acetone... I did a quick search. Forgive me if that comes as a shocker. Acetone mixed with Gasoline

Old 01-31-2017, 08:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Wonderful stuff. Potions will make your car run much better than the multi-billion dollar corporations have been able to figure out chemistry to put in your gas.

(Hint - everything you need is already in the blend of any major brand of gasoline. Potions add nothing)

Old 01-31-2017, 12:10 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
When in doubt, google the MSDS for the product you are questioning.
Some Material Safety Data Sheets will say the ingredients are trade secrets, and they will only divulge them to a licensed medical professional for poison control purposes.
However, most "cleaners" and "anti-gel" products contain acetone, light machine oil, and isopropyl alcohol in various ratios by volume.
Most "gas driers" contain mostly alcohol.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:43 AM

Ok thanks - not sure if I"m clearer or more confused now though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive