Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 01:28 AM

73 posts, read 115,031 times

Advertisements

When should I expect the engine to die? I cannot change oil on my 04 Odyssey because an oversized drain nut was used on the oil pan and cannot be loosened. Car was bought for $1500 and has over 240k miles so any money spent to change the oil pan is not worth it. Every few weeks I top it off with synthetic oil. Other than this issue, van has been running smoothly like a champ. Will the engine die and how many more miles I can get before that happens? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 04:07 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
What about the filter? Can you change it? That might buy you more time. How much, no one can say.

Find a friend with some tools and a jack/ramps, go buy a oil pan and a case of beer and change out the oil pan yourselves.

https://youtu.be/vabkqihpy2g

Old 01-21-2017, 04:37 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Guys I know that own boats change the oil using a vacuum pump. They remove the oil check stick and insert a hose, then start the pump. You can buy a cheap hand crank pump and get the job done.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:43 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
You can get something like this - Mityvac MV7201 - Fluid Evacuators Model | O'Reilly Auto Parts

You'd basically pump the oil out from the dipstick tube.

Albeit a quick search shows that a replacement oil pan is around the same price. Of course, you'll likely need tools, and other parts.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:09 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
My brother took an old Dodge Duster with a leaky slant 6 engine, drove it for two years, never once changed the oil or filter, but kept adding a quart of oil every week or two. That engine never died, but it leaked and smoked. He eventually sent the car to the junk yard due to other issues with the vehicle.

My concern about the van with 250K miles that was bought for $1500 - it's going to die, and probably soon, but where? In the middle of the night on a deserted stretch of county two-lane? What will be the cost of towing it away once its dead?

Old 01-21-2017, 06:17 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroboi View Post
When should I expect the engine to die?
At some point after the check engine light comes on.
(assuming it works)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W5PCYFXLJ4

Old 01-21-2017, 07:53 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
You can get something like this - Mityvac MV7201 - Fluid Evacuators Model | O'Reilly Auto Parts

You'd basically pump the oil out from the dipstick tube.

Albeit a quick search shows that a replacement oil pan is around the same price. Of course, you'll likely need tools, and other parts.
This, except that it's insane to spend $120 for an oil extractor.

I have a 12v oil extractor I bought on Amazon. You just clip onto the battery terminals to power it. I use old plastic gallon water jugs to collect the used oil. Car. Diesel on the boat. Lawn mower. Outboard motor on the dinghy. For $16.95 with free shipping, it's a very useful gadget.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Diesel-.../dp/B00AOAFP9C

In an old car where you constantly have to add oil, changing the filter occasionally is probably a bigger deal than changing the oil. 15,000 shouldn't be a problem. The oil filter will clog eventually so change that.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:37 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Guys I know that own boats change the oil using a vacuum pump. They remove the oil check stick and insert a hose, then start the pump. You can buy a cheap hand crank pump and get the job done.
I did this when I overfilled my transmission since it was on ramps when I did the drain and fill. I used a thin tubing and simply sucked on the hose to start the oil flowing and let gravity drain the oil over night.

this definitely works if you are unwilling to buy a used oil pan from an online salvage yard.

another alternative is to find a suitably oversized fumoto drain valve for about $20 and install that to have a spigot for draining the oil.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:59 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Just change out the filter every 5000 miles or so. If you're having to add a quart every few weeks the oil is changing itself through attrition.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:18 AM

147 posts, read 268,622 times
I have an '04 odyssey myself.....I just changed my oil over to synthetic myself at 135k. It only has 142k miles, but I have gone 7k miles....and plan to do at least another 1k. I think 15k is getting close to the life on the synthetic. I would just change the synthetic every 15k, and it shouldnt be a problem. Change the oil filter for sure, but 15k on synthetic is probably ok as long as it doesnt get low, that is what will cause an issue. Newer engines now can go 15k with synthetic on many vehicles. Just find a way to change it, if the vehicle runs fine without other issues it should last quite a time. The transmissions were much more of a concern on 99-04 ody's, but much more so on 99-02's. They overstate oil change frequencies on many vehicles, but are finding out that oil lasts a lot longer just so long as it is regular use.....not towing, dusty roads, or lots and lots of trips where the engine doesnt fully heat up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive